Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
hopi
Human being with feelings

Default new display monitor

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=210-AHSQ

Building a new computer for a family member and using that monitor...

Holy Krap! gotta say it IS impressive

Maximum Preset Resolution:
3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz (DP only)

you do have to have a graphics card with a DP [display port] to get that

I personally have dual 30" dell's at 2500 x 1600 which let me get reaper open with things like the MIDI Ed on the second display...
But this new monster let's one do that all on one screen with no bezel plastic in the way... all on one huge screen... freakin' sweet....

Pricey? Yes... worth it? Maybe
fyi prices can vary greatly ....shop around
Old 01-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
ReaperMadness

Holy Krist, hopi, that's nice.

I thought I was doin' OK chugging along w/ my two 24" Dells, one of which is 2560 x 1440.

But, Man! Really nice. Something else to dream about.

Congrats.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
ivansc

RM how are you finding that 2560x1440? Everything displaying itself politely?

Also what gfx card are you using?
About to replace my somewhat crappy passive one in the hope of helping my ageing eyesight a bit.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
RM how are you finding that 2560x1440? Everything displaying itself politely?

Also what gfx card are you using?
About to replace my somewhat crappy passive one in the hope of helping my ageing eyesight a bit.
Ivan -

First off, I'm on a desktop pc. I love both of my monitors. Not sure what you're getting at w/ "politely'. It's very vivid and sharp. I'm glad that I got it. Here's a pic showing a full-screen image from my 1920 x 1200 dragged over onto the 2560 x 1440, to show you how much real estate you gain.

Here's my setup:

Dell P2416D 2560 x 1440

Dell U2412M 1920 x 1200

I had to upgrade my display card because I wanted to run two display port monitors. This one did it. NVIDIA NVS 310.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPo.../dp/B008B6ONWQ

But I got it for $59 a year ago. Don't know why it's more now.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2560 vs 1920 800 48.png (61.8 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 01-18-2017 at 06:40 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
sostenuto

Cool lookin' system !! Congrats !!!!
Amazin' price/performance down-sloping curve just continues ....
Gettin' by with i7 n' dual 1920x1200 hp 24" now, (original cost 'bout the same as yur new one) and more comin' all the time .....

Enjoy !!

Last edited by sostenuto; 01-18-2017 at 07:30 PM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
ivansc

Interesting. I was thinking more of any scaling issues you may have had but that looks great. Just wish those hi dpi monitors were a little less expensive here in the UK.
Even finding 1920x1200 at a decent price is difficult enough.
I am on a pair of standard HD IPS 23" monitors right now which is OK but having to pinch one of them for the Mac mini temporarily....
Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #7
airon

I'm eyeing 27+ inch 1440p+ monitors. See what the budget says in the next few weeks.

The Dell UltraSharp U2715H looks interesting, but I find it a little slow at 8ms.

My search continues. Any tips are welcome of course.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #8
Softsynth

An ultrasharp is always a safe recommendation (at least so far). Personally I look at Dell Ultrasharp (LG IPS panels) and LG's own IPS screens first.
I have one of both. I am pleased with a recent purchase of a cheap and cheerful 25" LG ultra-wide screen (1080x2560 only). VFM is better than Ultrasharp as would be expected (when they make their own panels) but lacks that robust stand, non scratch case, swivel stand or USB ports.
OTOH the LG has better image quality in some regards (by virtue of being a newer LG IPS panel).
I also had a look at a 34" Dell Ultrasharp (LG internals again) and it is a lovely bit of kit. The equivalent LG 34" panel would offer much the same image quality but substantially cheaper. However I wouldn't be so happy with flimsy fixed stand, high gloss scratch-tastic bezel in such a large screen (wall mounted it would be fine). I imagine the Dell would have a higher quality PSU and internal components too so would be built to last.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
gvanbrunt

We've used ultrasharps at work for over 10 years with all our computers. Never been disappointed. That's several hundred monitors of various models.

I bought a 4k 27" model at home and it's awesome as well.

Highly recommended.
gvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
ivansc

My 2 23" are LG IPS and have to say they are pretty good.
Need to get a few more payingf gigs in before I can run to a fancier setup though...

My main interest in this thread all along has been seeing if those of you with high dpi monitors are having the same display issues with then for Reaper as the retina folks seem to be.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
silar

I've been seriously considering upgrading my display monitors also. My Reaper computer is fairly new, but I've neglected my displays. I have 2 20" 4x3 monitors side by side. It works, but would definitely love more real estate.

I've seriously been contemplating getting a 50-55 inch 4k TV and use the top half for the tracks and bottom half for the mixer. Currently those 2 items are on separate screens which work, but my old tired eyes are starting to strain a bit.

Anyone using a 4k TV for their display?
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
airon

Not yet. Most TV displays have significant latency, unless they also have a game mode.

The PC monitors, especially the game monitors(144Hz, GSync and so on) are quick. That's what I actually need for video display.

I'm considering a gaming monitor for around $500. 1440p minimum, 5ms or less.

I don't do graphics, so it does not need to be the most accurate in terms of colour.

The search continues. For money too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

The funny thing is that when I go to a bigger screen, I don't really use it to add more crap to the display. I just want everything to be bigger. I don't care if it's 20" or 40", I still don't want all that visual clutter. Make it bigger and preferably move the screen away from my face. I'm currently using a 32" 720p television, at 1600x1200. It works fine for Reaper and Netflix from about 4' away. This one is old and wonky, so I actually don't really trust it for my visual "art" projects, but I really just wouldn't be able to handle having more windows open at one time.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
silar

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Not yet. Most TV displays have significant latency, unless they also have a game mode.

The PC monitors, especially the game monitors(144Hz, GSync and so on) are quick. That's what I actually need for video display.

I'm considering a gaming monitor for around $500. 1440p minimum, 5ms or less.

I don't do graphics, so it does not need to be the most accurate in terms of colour.

The search continues. For money too.
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if I have a dedicated computer for DAW and do not game on it, why would that matter? Most all decent modern 4k TV's can output 4k at a minimum of 60hz which would be more than sufficient for just viewing the screens within a DAW program such as Reaper.. of course with a graphics card that could sufficiently output 4k.. Or am I missing something?
Old 06-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
My 2 23" are LG IPS and have to say they are pretty good.
Need to get a few more payingf gigs in before I can run to a fancier setup though...

My main interest in this thread all along has been seeing if those of you with high dpi monitors are having the same display issues with then for Reaper as the retina folks seem to be.
My 21:9 is a mere 25" 2560x1080p and has the same DPI as a 40" 4k and it is right on the limit for me regarding comfortable usability with small text.
Text is small in this window as I type this. Therefore I wouldn't want to go lower than 40" for a 4k display (for close work), currently (IMHO) the tiny 4k screens are not ready for general recommendation in the PC world. If and when the majority of VSTs and themes (and so on) are made suitable for very high dpi then it will be a nice luxury (as we can see from the smooth high DPI themes).
Personally I feel 4k is currently better suited to being able to see a lot of information at once on larger panels. IOW quantity over quality.
24"-32" 4k screens currently seem a bit silly for productivity or gaming, as does small 5k and 8k, for now. It will change as new compression scaling tech relieves the CPUs and GPUs of the massive extra burden in gaming. Personally I don't want the majority of my VSTs to look like postage stamps.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I'm currently using a 32" 720p television, at 1600x1200. It works fine for Reaper and Netflix from about 4' away.
720p is officially 720x1280.
However Panasonic got away with 37" HD Ready 720p plasmas with just 720x1024 (really great screens though).
Suggest feeding 720p into a 720p screen!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #17
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by silar View Post
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if I have a dedicated computer for DAW and do not game on it, why would that matter? Most all decent modern 4k TV's can output 4k at a minimum of 60hz which would be more than sufficient for just viewing the screens within a DAW program such as Reaper.. of course with a graphics card that could sufficiently output 4k.. Or am I missing something?
No, you could happily use a TV without issues. The input latency on some models will only be an issue for hardcore gamers on particular types of games such as first person shooters.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #18
gvanbrunt

Quote:
The Retina slowness issue is a known bug and happens with many applications that are not high DPI aware. There is a thread around here somewhere on it. Windows does not have this issue. HiDPI works fine.

There is a setting (don't remember which) that can be changed to work around the issue. I do seem to remember it had something to do with color.
gvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
karbomusic

Be sure to read lots of reviews, there appears to be a small shadow around the edge of the screen for example. I wouldn't mind something like this in the future but I'm hesitant to get rid of my 2 27" LEDs that I've had for awhile now.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #20
peter5992

I have a 27" inch Dell 1920 x 1080, plus a 19" 1920 x 1080 laptop screen (as well as another similar Dell for my PT computer, plus a 59" Samsung plasma screen I can switch between either my Reaper / Sibelius computer and my PT desktop computer).

Both computers are 8 to 9 years sold, with not exactly state of the art graphic cards, so even if I were to upgrade to fancy higher resolution monitors it wouldn't do me any good. They are plenty sharp enough though, and I also have to consider space (I have surround setup and need to be able to listen to my speakers).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote