Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
srdmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Item lock bug

I can't lock items in Reaper and I'm assuming it's either a bug or I'm missing a check box somewhere.

Locking the item does not actually lock it's position or it's ability to be edited. I'm not actually sure what item locking is doing as position and edits really the only reason most users would need to lock an item. I can still cut and move the item freely which would indicate that the item is not actually locked even though the locked icon shows up on the item.

Is there another way to lock an items position/ edit functions or is this a bug?
srdmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I can't lock items in Reaper and I'm assuming it's either a bug or I'm missing a check box somewhere.

Locking the item does not actually lock it's position or it's ability to be edited. I'm not actually sure what item locking is doing as position and edits really the only reason most users would need to lock an item. I can still cut and move the item freely which would indicate that the item is not actually locked even though the locked icon shows up on the item.

Is there another way to lock an items position/ edit functions or is this a bug?
The only lock I'm aware of is locking take selection in place. That way you can click on the item without selecting a different take.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
srdmusic

Does this lock editing of the item as well? I'm finding it very odd that I can't lock editing of an item. Seems like a bug.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
metal_priest

shift+L (or look for "lock settings" in the action list) as shortcut to open the "lock settings" where you can choose what you want to lock when lock an item
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
srdmusic

After further investigation is looks like there is an option to lock item position in the item lock settings but there is no option in the settings window that allows items to not be cut or edited.

The 'lock item full' check box seems like it should do the trick but it's not stopping me from being able to slip the item.

This is a really big problem for us that work in film. We need the ability to lock video and production audio to smpte timecode so that we don't accidentally chop a section out of the film and cause our music to be out of sync.

I made that exact mistake this week and I got a very upset email from a client asking why my cue wasn't syncing half way through playing back the film. I had accidently cut a portion of the video file out of my sequence while conforming the music to a new picture cut.

If someone has found a solution to this please let me know. If there isn't one native, is there a scriptable workaround or do we need cockos to implement this?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
shift+L as shortcut to open the "lock settings" where you can choose what you want to lock when lock an item
Thanks for the reply Metal Priest. As far as I can tell the lock settings options does include the ability to lock position but do not include the ability to lock an item from being cut or sliced.

This leads me to believe there is something broken here or I'm missing some other options window.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
metal_priest

posted at the same time!
if you lock full item, you cannot split, slip or whatever the locked item.
Be sure you don't have any unwanted setting if you're using ripple editing in the "editing behavior panel" in reaper settings
Old 02-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
swiiscompos

In Reapack there is a script by SPK77 called : "Script: spk77_Insert empty space at time selection (prevent moving locked items).eel"

That might help you. Also feel free to reach to me for any tempo mapping questions. I also use Reaper primarily for film work.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
In Reapack there is a script by SPK77 called : "Script: spk77_Insert empty space at time selection (prevent moving locked items).eel"

That might help you. Also feel free to reach to me for any tempo mapping questions. I also use Reaper primarily for film work.
Swiiscompos you are a genius and so is SPK77. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a SPK77 script to cut time just like this insert time script. Or is it possible for someone to edit this existing script to preform this function. I would do it myself but I haven't gotten my scripting chops up yet in Reaper.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
swiiscompos

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98...ew?usp=sharing

Easiest change ever! (one character...)
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
srdmusic

YOU DA MAN!!!!! Thank you.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
grobsen

Thank you indeed, swiiscompos!! This was bugging me for some time now.
grobsen is online now   Reply With Quote