Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Apply Learned Parameters from Fx Chains to Existing Instances?

Two questions:

1. How do default controller mappings work? I can't get them to affect more than one plugin instance at a time.
2. I'm also looking for a way to load a set of plugin parameter knobs to all instances of a particular plugin.

Why: My workflow has changed over the years and I want to bring consistency to working with old projects. Having all the same EQ parameter knobs in the mixer with the same controller mappings will accomplish this, but there seems to be no quick way to do this. I can save presets for each instance, load Fx Chain versions of my EQ's with all of these mappings and switch to the new preset, but this will be very time consuming. I'm hoping there's a more straightforward way.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Do I need to clarify the question or is it just not interesting?
Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
audiohome

ok,I am not a 100% sure what you want but if you have assigned midi from reaper and you go to "param" button on top of the plugin window. There you can find default controller mappings and save you mappings. Every instance of the plugin should have the same mappings now.

Does that work?
audiohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohome View Post
Does that work?
Well I confess I've been overlooking that feature for years, so thanks for pointing that out! Not quite sure how it works though, as saving the default mapping doesn't seem to affect any old or new instances of the plugin. This submenu is greyed out in any instance I have not manually mapped, even after saving one as default (they all have the same name too).

The other half of my issue is that I have displayed these assigned parameters as knobs in the mixer, and these are only save/loadable (afaik) in the form of fx chains. I need to add/modify these all at once for every instance:

I can't just replace the plugin with the fx chain version, because any parameter adjustments I've made will be lost.

So the goal is to load these mixer parameters and the controller mappings to every plugin instance in a project, while preserving the parameter settings in each instance.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Please, anyone, is there any way to add a set of mixer knobs other than manually one by one or loading a saved fx chain?

Also, it's unclear to me how default controller mappings are supposed to work (can't get them to affect other plugin instances). Can anyone explain this feature?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm losing my mind. Please help.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Please??
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
mpl

Quote:
I'm also looking for a way to load a set of plugin parameter knobs to all instances of a particular plugin.
ReaPack/mpl_Apply visibility of focused FX TCP controls to instances in selected tracks.lua

Last edited by mpl; 08-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
foxAsteria

@mpl Wow, man, you're a legend! Thanks so much for your attention to this! I'm getting this error: "...used FX TCP controls to instances in selected tracks.lua:12: attempt to index a nil value"

I'm selecting all tracks, then floating the plugin with the Fx Parameters I wish to apply to the other instances, then running your script. Is it because my param names all have Aliases, or because my set of aliased params are loaded from an Fx Chain? It works only with Fx I have loaded from the browser and then doesn't preserve param Alias. I hope I'm not asking too much here... I can upload a project file with my fx chain loaded if that helps. Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Here's a test project representing most (if not all) of my use-case scenarios. I understand if you don't have more time for this, so thanks either way!

https://stash.reaper.fm/31393/Fx%20Params.RPP
Old 08-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
mpl

That is because of custom FX names. I`m not sure it will work properly always (ex when you have "EQ" on one track and "Cockos ReaEQ" on another track), but seems works now with you project at least.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Awesome, mpl, thanks! Too bad the Project Bay doesn't allow for renaming all instances of a plugin like it should. Gonna make an FR for that I think...
Old 08-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Hey mpl, I finally got around to testing this. I'm afraid this is not quite working with the Parameter Aliases though. It's crucial that they all be consistently named or at least loaded into the mixer in the same order, but right now it just adds any missing param knobs below any existing ones and uses the existing aliases specific to that instance.

Would it be possible to fix this? The script just needs to ensure all the param knobs are in the same order and using the same param aliases as the selected instance.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-30-2017 at 10:03 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote