Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default 3 Maschine in Reaper Templates

Here are 3 different ways to use Maschine inside Reaper (version 2, updated April 22 '18):

1) Four Audio Routed Kits + Kick & Snare Tracks This is the way I'm working currently. It's a 5 Track Template.

Each Kit is audio-routed to a Reaper track, which essentially act as summing buss for the Kit. Mixing the sounds of each Kit is done inside the plugin.

There is one "Kick Track" with a dedicated receive of Pads 1 & 5 on every Kit, which are typically used for kicks, so you can have your kicks isolated from the other Sounds, for sidechaining or processing, etc. Same for snare, but on pads 2 & 6.

You can record your patterns and scenes in Maschine and then record your sketch performance of them later as MIDI in Reaper for finer editing, or just start recording into Reaper right away. Best part is that you can loop overdub MIDI items as takes also and use Note Repeat while recording MIDI in Reaper. So, best of both worlds.

Download

2) One Audio Routed Kit (16 Audio Tracks, receiving Maschine Sounds)

Just one kit with each sound routed to its own audio track.

Download

3) Maschine Master Controller (Two MIDI Routed Kits and 14 MIDI Tracks)

This one lets you do all sequencing inside Maschine, using Native Instruments' intended workflow, which is great for sketching out arrangements quickly, but each Sound sends a different MIDI channel from each sound to 16 Reaper tracks to control all your favorite synths from Maschine.

Download

Please let me know if anything's not working for you and I will try to help/fix it. There will be more specific info in the Project Notes.

INSTALLATION
:

1. Download your template of choice from the links above and open it in Reaper (or just double click). If you like it, you can save it as a track template for future re-use by selecting all the tracks and right clicking... Yes, they are project files, but they can also be stored as track templates.
2. (Optionally) Download and import this Cycle Action in the Cycle Action Editor and assign it a convenient shortcut on your keyboard or MIDI controller to view the Maschine GUI at any time (relies on the Maschine track name starting with the word "Maschine").
3. Enjoy or be disappointed, but give me some feedback, so I can improve the experience for others.

Important: Be sure to disable this +ROUTING option when loading a kit, to preserve the routing I have made in the templates and not load the routing stored in the kit!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
ChristopherT

Thanks a lot for doing this.
I am soon to start using Maschine in Reaper and finally get it out of ProTools, so your templates will be awesome to start me off without much hair pulling.

I will definitely use the:
2) One Audio Routed Kit (16 Audio Tracks, receiving Maschine Sounds)
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Cool, thanks. All MIDI is recorded on the Maschine track and separated by channel for each group, fyi. People seem to want/expect MIDI on separate tracks per group (which I did too, at first) and it's just not simple or easy to do, so this is the best method I've found in 5 years. I will attempt to explain it better in the new iteration.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #4
JC777

Hi fox,

New user Maschine MK3 here, thanks for your help with Maschine and Reaper.

Basically I'm trying to setup a Maschine group as a drum machine and I want to send the Reaper MIDI to it in order to be able to draw the MIDI in Reaper and not have to bother with scenes - to have it synced to my project.

I also want to have the audio output of each piece of the kit on individual tracks (16 total) in Reaper to do further mixing inside the DAW.

I'm really lost and I followed most of the videos on youtube and also used your templates and I can't get any MIDI or audio yet...

I'm also very confused because I don't know if I should use Maschine in Midi CTRL mode and have that set as the input on the track or tracks (so confused sorry) or just leave it as is (when you turn on Maschine and just use it in ''Maschine Mode'' I believe...).

Thanks alot! I'm so lost haha.
JC777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
foxAsteria

@JC777 you should be able to use template 2, load a kit and record MIDI on the Maschine track, regardless of what mode you're in. If you can't get any MIDI activity on the track, your Maschine is probably not set up in Reaper preferences MIDI Devices. It should be enabled+control in MIDI inputs and disabled in outputs.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
JC777

My Maschine MIDI is setup right but I guess maybe the MIDI routing in Maschine is not correct. Still can't get any MIDI from Reaper on the track. Let me check this with your suggestions and I'll get back to you. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
JC777

Ok, I got it working!!! I'm so happy right now haha.

What I had to do like you said was to have group to midi notes enabled, use Maschine in CTRL mode in Reaper's input starting from C3 and made sure to specify Manual in MIDI input but that was already setup in your One Kit template.

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
JC777

I still don't understand why Maschine outside of CTRL mode doesn't send MIDI to the first track using the One Kit template. It seems I am force to use CTRL mode which makes the note repeat unusable.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
foxAsteria

If Maschine's native mode is not sending MIDI to the track you need select all the sounds and set MIDI output destination to "host." But if you disabled loading routing with the kits as per the image in the OP, you shouldn't have to do this.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
JC777

Ok that is strange though because I did disable the routing and I checked to make sure and each sound is set to host like you said by default.

In Reaper on the Maschine track the input is set to MIDI All Channels, is that right?
I tried other options for the input and when I record no MIDI is written on the track. I'm trying to record MIDI using the Maschine Controller not a keyboard just to make it clear.

Again, thank you so much for your help
Old 04-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
foxAsteria

Ok, I see the problem. I forgot to set the track to record output in this template. You need to right click the track input and set it to "record: output (MIDI)", uncheck "Preserve PDC..." and check "monitor track media..." It will then record all incoming MIDI and anything in the Maschine sequencer.

The audio tracks also need to be set to record audio output.

Sorry for the confusion, I will update the templates soon.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
JC777

Cool I will try at as soon as I get home
Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Templates have been updated. I was too lazy to test them much or to revise the project notes, so please let me know if something's not right and I will fix it.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-22-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
JC777

Thank you so much it works perfectly now. I couldn't try the template you updated but your tips in the post above worked. Thank you so much man! Saved my life :P
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Geronimo Stevens

Default Thank you!

These are exactly what I was looking for. I was expecting to chase links and opinions all night but you saved me from that ugliness. For that, Iam eternally in your debt. Nice work, indeed.
👊
Geronimo Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
foxAsteria

Glad you found them useful. Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
rogpfreck

Default Thanks!

Got a Maschine MK2 yesterday - eBay, so these are very useful indeed. All templates worked as described for me, latest Reaper, 5.973.

The Project notes are very well done too and show how carefully you have prepared these examples. Top work!

I'm sure you've saved me hours of trawling the internet for a Maschine 'how-to' with REAPER! Thank you.

Mac mini, OS: Mojave 10.14.3.
rogpfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #18
TonE

Why you need Machine? Can the above templates be used with any non-machine hardware as well? Did not test anything. If it works only with machine, I would like to know why only there but not elsewhere? Trying to figure out the differences.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogpfreck View Post
All templates worked as described for me, latest Reaper, 5.973.
I'm sure you've saved me hours of trawling the internet for a Maschine 'how-to' with REAPER! Thank you.
Yep, that's the idea. Thanks for the feedback; great to know they are working! I literally spent about a year trying to figure it out (although it was only made possible by certain NI fixes that came a while after my purchase), but I thought others should be spared some of those frustrations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why you need Machine? Can the above templates be used with any non-machine hardware as well? Did not test anything. If it works only with machine, I would like to know why only there but not elsewhere? Trying to figure out the differences.
They are Maschine Templates made for Maschine and nothing else. Routing must be done within the Maschine plugin as well as Reaper to use it seamlessly in Reaper. It takes some time to figure out how to set it up, so I did all the ground work and shared it to save time for others. Seems most prefer the long route, but there is more to be learned that way...

OTOH, I have a MIDI-Ox setup that can be used for any controller that can send MIDI Program Change messages for on the fly MIDI channel momentary switching, in order to multiply the number of possible controls by up to 8x, if you're interested...