Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
fulvia
Human being with feelings

Default Migrating Reaper to New Computer-Copy all Preferences?

I'm finally leaving Windows XP and migrating all across to a Windows 10 x64 machine.
I had so many settings such as path directories, theme tweaks, keyboard shortcuts etc. etc., that I think it's going to take several weeks to recreate what I had on my old machine to the new one.

Are there any quick methods of carrying over preferences to the new install on the new machine?

Many thanks in advance.
Ian
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulvia View Post
I'm finally leaving Windows XP and migrating all across to a Windows 10 x64 machine.
I had so many settings such as path directories, theme tweaks, keyboard shortcuts etc. etc., that I think it's going to take several weeks to recreate what I had on my old machine to the new one.

Are there any quick methods of carrying over preferences to the new install on the new machine?

Many thanks in advance.
Ian
if your going to use the same version of reaper on new machine it will be fairly easy to transfer to new machine.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
mikeroephonics

It's super quick and super easy. It takes about a minute to back it all up.

In REAPER, go to:
Options > Preferences > General > [Export configuration...]

Check whatever you want to backup on the left column. It's completely granular. You'll probably want to back up most, if not all data types.

This will create a .ReaConfigZip, which is REAPER's configuration data. Import the .ReaConfigZip on the Win10 installation and you're good to go. Back this file up regularly when you make lots of changes to your REAPER settings (keybindings, custom actions, etc.)
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
solger

Another option besides Exporting/Importing config files, as mikeroephonics mentioned above, is copying the Reaper resource folder (Options > Show REAPER resource path ...) between computers.

You might have to check or adjust some settings after transferring or importing files (like folder paths or Audio/MIDI settings) ...

As a side note: it's a good strategy in general to have a backup of both the Reaper resource folder and the export config file
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
fulvia

Many many thanks!

I've used the Export Configuration method and it has worked a treat and saved me so much time and head scratching!

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
serr

Do yourself a favor and clone your current system to a spare drive if you're not already doing that as SOP. Then you can simply boot into your old system and get back to work if there are any growing pains with the new system.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 AM   #7
rcl

This is one of the coolest things about Reaper.