Old 06-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
mpl
Human being with feelings

Default MPL RS5k manager, basic Ableton DrumRack port

RS5k manager is a lua script for REAPER.
It provides manipulating samples sitting in the ReaSamplomatic5000 instances. It allows you to use it as super basic drum sampler, all the possibilities are based on standart REAPER features.

The structure of rs5k manager is:
- Parent. Contain macro JSFX, this is common audio bus for children tracks;
- Child. Regular child, you can write MIDI data here or on MIDI bus. All children receive MIDI from MIDI bus;
- Device. When you drop second layer to a device area, the script converts regular child to a device, so you can hold multiple layers on single pad (in REAPER it is a folder with childrens);
- MIDI bus, contains choke JSFX. This is a track sending MIDi to all childrens.

The script consist of multiple modules:

Macro
  • Allow to link multiple parameters to one knob, sitting at parent track

MIDI / OSC learn
  • Collect data about all mapings for FX sitting on child tracks

Pad overview
  • Quick jump for sample sections
DrumRack
  • Pads with ability to dragndrop to
Database map
  • Allow to attach predefined database to specific pad, this feature is ported from Atlas sampler
Children chain
  • Allow to edit volume and pan for childrens and set up to choke groups (including multiple groups per pad)
Device
  • You can use single pad with multiple layers with independent controls
Sampler
  • Contains some organized controls from RS5k instance

Requirements:
  • REAPER 6.69+ (not tested on earlier versions. MIDI Learn and linking require REAPER6.69+dev1027)
  • ReaPack 1.2.1+

Install:
  • run ActionList > ReaPack: Browse packages...
  • navigate and install (rightclick) RS5k manager and Various_functions packages, then click 'Apply'
  • run ActionList > ReaPack: Synchronize packages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (154.0 KB, 7205 views)

Last edited by mpl; 12-13-2022 at 11:36 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #2
Plazma

Wow - fantastic!!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #3
dazastah

wow Dude!!!
Great work!!
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #4
X-Raym

Defining the note mapping with this script is far more easy than opening all R5K windows :P

Thanks for sharing !

(I think thsi script is the first to use drag and drgop from file GFX feature !)

For naming, so this one is in fact RS5K manager background, and you had RS5K manager (las v 1.26). Why this one is called background ?
I can see several difference between the two (the pattern mod for eg in the old script)... The new one is meant to replace the previous ? Or are they complementary ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #5
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
For naming, so this one is in fact RS5K manager background, and you had RS5K manager (las v 1.26). Why this one is called background ?
I can see several difference between the two (the pattern mod for eg in the old script)... The new one is meant to replace the previous ? Or are they complementary ?
From v1.50 there were several serious changes in the code and structure (using external functions) so any version below 1.50 is 'obsolete'. 'Background' was added to some scripts to avoid confution for some guys talking they aren`t expect scripts tracking something in background. It was probably enough to change name only in description tag in ReaPack header.

Quote:
(I think thsi script is the first to use drag and drgop from file GFX feature !)
Yes, thanks to Justin for this!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Stevie

my message was deleted? why? new thread? what's going on
anyway. i was asking (hopefully) is it real to add sample delay control to it?
and once again amazing work, gj!

Last edited by Stevie; 06-18-2018 at 06:04 AM.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
mpl

You posted it on General Discussin thread.
Well, I can add control for JSFX: delay adjustment (it will require addition FX Chain per layer/key).
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Well, I can add control for JSFX: delay adjustment (it will require addition FX Chain per layer/key).
Yeah, i mean it is super strange that we have not this option in RS5K.. delays is basic of groove i guess, even in dance music. (imho)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
sonicowl

Mpl, few ideas (requests).

1. Can you make it so that double clicking on cell opens corresponding rs5k plugin, for quick access to sample settings?
2. Can you make it possible to duplicate cell, keeping all setings of original cell, but on a new midi key?
3. Can you add "obey note offs" tick for each cell, as a knob on top, near all other controls for each cell?

BUG: If you change any control for cell, it erases "Obey note-offs" setting in corresponding RS5K instance.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Yeah, i mean it is super strange that we have not this option in RS5K.. delays is basic of groove i guess, even in dance music. (imho)
stevie, do you mean adding a delay before the sample plays? because yes, this is critical but often overlooked by vstis and hardware samplers.

i remember back in the mpc days we'd reverse a sample, deselect the very beginning of the sample, and then reverse again in order to add time to the beginning of the sample

i use piz's vsti "midiexactdelay" ahead of my rs5k instances in order to achieve this but it's clunky and would be awesome to have closer to reach.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
Ozman

This script is mad useful and is solving the problems we've had regarding rs5k workflow limitations. I'm excited to see how this matures over time. Much thanks, for a much needed feature set.

One question though.
How does one layer? I see it being mentioned, but every time I drag a new sample to a pad, it replaces the sample that's there, but leaving the original name on the pad (bug?).

Also it would be nice to be able to remove samples/layers from pads, like with an alt+click, select then delete/remove, or a right click menu.

Thanks again!
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
How does one layer? I see it being mentioned, but every time I drag a new sample to a pad, it replaces the sample that's there, but leaving the original name on the pad (bug?).
Install the last version (1.57). No, it just didn't show you that there are more samples on the pad. Now we can see, how many samples are on the pad.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #13
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Install the last version (1.57). No, it just didn't show you that there are more samples on the pad. Now we can see, how many samples are on the pad.
That's what I'm using the (background) v1.57.

I see now... I have to open the actual rs5k instance. to see the list.
And the multiple samples are from the default behavior of rs5k (from the folder).

I thought there was layering from drag and drop, and that they would show on the pad display.

It's cool. But later, such a feature would be nice (layering samples and controlling their start times and volumns).

Overall, very useful script here.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
That's what I'm using the (background) v1.57.

I see now... I have to open the actual rs5k instance. to see the list.
No, the info is on pads.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
stevie, do you mean adding a delay before the sample plays?
Exactly

Quote:
i remember back in the mpc days we'd reverse a sample, deselect the very beginning of the sample, and then reverse again in order to add time to the beginning of the sample
hardcore mode on
Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
Nixon

MPL do you have a linux machine? I have the impression that some scripts aren't as crossplatform as i'd like them to be. Maybe I'll troubleshoot later but i have the impression that drag and drop from media explorer isn't that accurate as it should be.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
MPL do you have a linux machine? I have the impression that some scripts aren't as crossplatform as i'd like them to be. Maybe I'll troubleshoot later but i have the impression that drag and drop from media explorer isn't that accurate as it should be.
No, I don't have Linux machine to test. Can you be more specific, what is inaccurate?
Some versions ago script didn't calculated dropped note right (note before or note after expected note/pad).
Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
sonicowl

MPL, I noticed with RS5k manager, that if I duplicate instance of RS5k, and manually increase Note Start/Note End in second instance +1, then duplicaded sample appears in RS5k manager as new cell.

Could you please make a script to do this in one step:
1. Duplicate last instance of RS5k on channel.
2. Increase Note Start/Note End by +1.

This would be really handy for setting slices from a loop. Load loop, set sample start, duplicate to new cell, again set new sample start, and so on.

BTW, did you catch my bug report from yesterday about RS5k manager erasing note-off status? This one is really annoying.
(BUG: If you change any control for cell, it erases "Obey note-offs" setting in corresponding RS5K instance.)

Thnx for great script.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Ozman

Quote:
No, the info is on pads.

Wow, I'm running 1.57 as well, and mine isn't working like that.
I can either drag them all at once onto a pad or sequentially, mine isn't working that way.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #20
Ozman

Ok, I just updated my SWS, uninstalled the RS5K manager and its functions folder, then resync'd. Still the same thing. No layers, and dragging a sample to a pad that already has a sample, replaces it in the rs5k instance, but the pad still shows the first sample's name.

Any ideas of what I need to do?

I'm using Windows 10 and Reaper v5.92pre1
Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
mpl

Menu > Allow multiple samples per pad (layering mode)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #22
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Menu > Allow multiple samples per pad (layering mode)
DOH! Haha... Thanx, MPL.
That did it.

Gosh, I should've figured that one out.
---------------
It's lookin good..

I guess from here, it'll be managing and mixing the layers, that that looks like it could be done from the instances themselves for now.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #23
EpicSounds

Bug - if you drag a sample to a pad to replace a sample, the name doesn't change

Nitpick - on the mixer page double-click to reset the volume doesn't work well. *for me* it accidentally resets too often when I just want to audition the sample. alt-click would be better IMO.

Nitpick - Release knob in RS5k is really a fade out, I think reversing the knob direction would work make it more clear to the user that the sound will fade out sooner when used. Easier to visualize turning down (counter clockwise) to adjust fade out.

Request - color/theme options
Old 06-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #24
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Bug - if you drag a sample to a pad to replace a sample, the name doesn't change
It's the name of midi note and not a bug really. After you've changed sample, you should open/close midi editor and then it will be updated. But I agree, it should be updated after changing the sample.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #25
mpl

Thanks for opinions and suggestions, most of them are going to be released at 1.60 this weekend.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
mpl

Jon Tidey (REAPER blog) made a video about RS5k manager. Thanks to him, very nice overview! Wish I can learn to make videos like that once

Old 06-25-2018, 03:11 AM   #27
sonicowl

MPL, thnx for huge update.

BUG: Doubleclick on pads to float rs5k instance is not working here. I enabled it under Mouse Modifiers, but is not working.

EDIT: it works ONCE after getting slices from REX, then it stops.
EDIT2: Hmm, sometimes it works on some pads. Now on pad 37 works every time, but not on pad 36...
EDIT3: Cannot figure out pattern, sometimes works fine on pad, then it stops, then works again...

Last edited by sonicowl; 06-25-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #28
sonicowl

BUG: it is not working properly with REX files. LoopStart/LoopEnd are not set correctly.
1. import rex file to track
2. Use command Item: Explode REX item into beat slices - file is sliced on track and slices are visible, but net separately movable, they are grouped together.
3. Ungroup items, so they are separately movable
4. rs5k manager: Export selected items to rs5k instances
5. MIDI file is created, all instances are populated, but LoopStart/LoopEnd are not set properly, so every slice starts playing from beginning.

EDIT: Step 3. ungrouping is not necessary - it seems to be the same if ungrouped or not.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #29
sonicowl

REQUEST: Show pitch shift value in semitones on pad, or on pitch knob.

Now with drag drop it is so easy to make copies of sample, and pitch shift them. It would be really helpful if picth shift would be easily visible on each pad, and on knob. On pad it can be hidden if there is no pich shift, and only show if it is there.

Also knobs on top show value only when it is changed. Can you make it so that they show value when mouse hovers above button? Or at least if the mouse only clicks, without adjustment. Or add option to show values all the time, at least for pitch. As it is now, you have to slightly adjust value of knob to see what it is set to.

Last edited by sonicowl; 06-25-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #30
FleshIsFlawed

Wow! Loving this thing, its really impressive! I truly was just thinking that something like this would be an amazing addition to rs5k, because i love using it, i just hate routing it and having too click around a lot to find all my separate tracks.

I think my only feature request right now would be for pitch-bend in the controls, and to have sample names continue onto the next line rather than the ellipses that appear when it won't all fit on one line. I'd like to use a more readable font size, but to also be able to see my whole sample name.
FleshIsFlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #31
mccrabney

clicking "next/prev" caused laggy behavior here, i'll reproduce with more testing

i'm hoping to see more Global parameter controls added, like obey note off, loop, xfade, loop start offset, note off override, and note off override amount

is it possible for any of these global params to be learned to midi cc or osc?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #32
vitalker

Quote:
like obey note off
It's already here.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #33
mccrabney

globally? i didn't see it.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
X-Raym

@mpl
Hi ! Nice to see your scripts being promoted by reaperblog

Could the waveform display not be beyond knobs as shown in your screenshot ?
Having it on its own line would be more readable.

Also, the waveform lacks a bit of contrast IMHO, is the GUI themable somehow ?

At some point, being able to set custom colors schemes for each notes could be nice for people who have colored pads :P (it is not actually my case, but it can be a fancy feature which I imagie can be smooth)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #35
vitalker

Quote:
globally? i didn't see it.
I'm sorry. No, only individual, per pad.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:46 AM   #36
euga

when launching script i get this:
Attached Images
File Type: png Schizzo.png (22.4 KB, 18742 views)
euga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:48 AM   #37
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euga View Post
when launching script i get this:
Eugenio should download this file. Simple as that.
Use reapack to be sure everything is installed.
https://reapack.com/
Old 06-27-2018, 02:53 AM   #38
euga

Quote:
Eugenio should download this file. Simple as that.
Use reapack to be sure everything is installed.
https://reapack.com/
I've just reinstalled everything named "rs5k" on reapack and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old 06-27-2018, 02:58 AM   #39
euga

Quote:
I've just reinstalled everything named "rs5k" on reapack and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
just found it! "Various_functions" on reapack, all is working now. Maybe it should be tagged "rs5k" as well?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #40
vitalker

Quote:
just found it! "Various_functions" on reapack, all is working now. Maybe it should be tagged "rs5k" as well?
I think it is used by a lot of Michael's scripts.