Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default Calling all RME device users with an USB connection... (SOLVED)

Hi, all

I hope it's not the wrong forum to post this, but well... I purchased, a little less than two weeks ago, a RME Fireface UCX to be used with USB, this, as a replacement of my previous E-Mu 1616m (PCIe) card which, sadly, is no longer usable with MIDI (ghost notes coming from nowhere, endless notes, wrong MIDI CC data, etc.)

To make things as short as possible, let's say that the Fireface ASIO driver works perfectly, using it with an administrator account, but refuses to be loaded under a non-admin one. Below is a screenshot showing Reaper message displayed when trying to work with the non-admin account I am regularly using :

FWIW, I started a thread in the RME forums concerning this, without much sucess, I must say. Here it is : https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27371.

As I know that several among you here are using RME devices, I am hoping that maybe someone could have stumbled on this kind of issue previously and shed light on it.

Thanks for any hints...

Last edited by cubic13; 07-23-2018 at 08:59 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
karbomusic

Never seen it (using RME for about 10 years now), does sound slightly permissions based but no log to review, no way to know. I would create a new test account user, add it to the administrators group and see what happens when logging in as that user.

On a side note there is no real need to remove the user from the administrator's group because UAC handles any promotions to admin rights on a case by case basis (aka they only have admin rights when needed and the end user is asked before temporarily promoting), hence the UAC popup. If you have UAC disabled, then removing the user from admins, you may be undoing what was already working correctly.

Lastly, the user shouldn't need to be in that group to use UCX but /if/ we are tweaking like that, we could end up in a precarious inexplicable scenario.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
cubic13

Hi, karbo, and thanks for chiming in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
... I would create a new test account user, add it to the administrators group and see what happens when logging in as that user.
I followed your suggestion, creating another administrator account and launching Reaper from it. As expected, the Fireface ASIO driver was perfectly loaded, as the initial one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
On a side note there is no real need to remove the user from the administrator's group because UAC handles any promotions to admin rights on a case by case basis (aka they only have admin rights when needed and the end user is asked before temporarily promoting), hence the UAC popup. If you have UAC disabled, then removing the user from admins, you may be undoing what was already working correctly.
I've been thinking about the UAC since several days but until now, I have kept it disabled, this to prevent to have to click on the nasty UAC pop-up window each time I had to use Reaper or other programs with my limited account. Additionaly I thought that keeping it disabled would avoid any additional problem. But seeing what you stated (in bold) made me change my mind : so, I setted the UAC as 'default' in my administrator account, rebooted, and went directly to Reaper with my non-admin account : as expected I got the UAC pop-up window and clicked on 'Yes'...

Result ? SUCCESS ! After nearly two weeks endlessly scratching my head about the issue, seeing that there was no more the error message has been a true relief. I have checked, of course, that all the inputs/outputs available in TotalMix were also available in Reaper 'Audio/Device' preferences pane : they are. As a side note, I'm really wondering how comes that no one in RME forum (even Matthias) had thought of something UAC related, but well...

Now, what I would like to know is if there is a way to permanently let know the UAC that Reaper (and others...) is a 'safe' program, this, to avoid the appearance of the pop-up window, each time I launch it. But even if it's not the case, I can live with it...

So, a HUGE thank for your help, karbo. All the best !

Last edited by cubic13; 07-23-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
this to prevent to have to click on the nasty UAC pop-up window each time I had to use Reaper or other programs with my limited account.
Yay, I'm glad you made progress.

Do you by chance have a VST or something that requires you to run Reaper as admin, if that's the case and you have no choice, that's certainly understandable but ideally Reaper should run just fine as a regular user FYI - Which means you shouldn't need to see the UAC dialog box. Either way, great you got it sorted.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
cubic13

What is strange is that I never stumbled on such an issue with the E-Mu ASIO driver. This, with several VSTis involved : Emulator-X3, Alchemy, Sylenth1, Arturia MMV, TruePianos, BFD2... List not exhaustive.

All this still makes me think that there is something wrong with the RME ASIO driver, but again, I can live with it...

Thanks again !
Old 07-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
All this still makes me think that there is something wrong with the RME ASIO driver, but again, I can live with it...
The real question is why UAC on your system is different. After all, RME's drivers are working for almost all Windows users without this problem.

If it was on my system, I'd suspect having f*cked these access rights myself and promptly forgetting about it. If it's a Windows system, I might start thinking malware. But even a very badly flaking VST could be the cause.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The real question is why UAC on your system is different. After all, RME's drivers are working for almost all Windows users without this problem.

If it was on my system, I'd suspect having f*cked these access rights myself and promptly forgetting about it. If it's a Windows system, I might start thinking malware. But even a very badly flaking VST could be the cause.
About the UAC behavior, I don't know : again, I never had such a problem with the previous E-Mu ASIO driver. Could be that there is something wrong with the access rights, but what could make one driver working perfectly and the other not working under a non-admin account when the UAC is disabled ?

And about an eventual malware, it could also be. Will look more closely at this, just in case...
Old 07-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #8
cyrano

There have been numerous problems with audio interfaces and TB or USB. All brands.

In the case of TB, it's new tech. To be expected.

In the case of USB, partly because of USB3 and partly because of Apple and Microsoft. Both have changed the USB stack enough to expect problems. Even with known-good USB chipsets.

Almost all problems have been resolved. If there's a bug in their drivers, RME will acknowledge and fix this. Often very fast. But it has to be a reproducible bug. And that's what's new to me: every problem seems different.

Of course, such a problem rears it's ugly head when upgrading. Like in upgrading hardware, driver, or the OS.