Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
storyteller
Human being with feelings

Default Orchestral Template For Reaper (OTR) - NOW FREE/DONATION ONLY PROJECT

Hey guys & gals,

I wanted to make an announcement today that for a minimum of the next 30 days, I want to make Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR) a free/donation only project.

Over the past year and a half since its introduction, OTR has attracted a number of well known composers, has helped a countless number of newcomers to Reaper, and helped its users learn how to build efficient routing of orchestral templates. The most applauded feature of the project is the stem render process, which reduces day-long/multi-day processes to a push of a button, but there are also quite a number of additionally applauded, built-in features that are not natively available in any other DAW. If you are unfamiliar with OTR, check it out here: http://otr.storyteller.im

While this is a bit of an experiment in moving to a donation-only model, hopefully, this will be the model moving forward. I believe in helping the community in any way I can contribute. With OTR, this has always been my goal all along. In the beginning, there were costs associated with the product launch – and I thank every user who has contributed to its success which has allowed me to get to a point where I could make this donation model a viable approach.

To answer any concerns to current and future users: Yes, I do plan on continuing to update the software. My thoughts are that this approach can also bring about additional community contributions that can help OTR flourish beyond its current state. Let's make it the best it can be! Hopefully, this will be a win-win for everyone out there.

Note to OSX users: There has been an ongoing bug with Reaper portable installs (not OTR related, but it could affect the OTR install) on various OSX configurations that may require you to update the included version of Reaper to the latest build. Please make sure you follow the "how to update" instructions in the manual or check out the troubleshooting video on the Storyteller Youtube page.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
DynamicK

Very generous of you Jonathan. Are you including all the track packs as part of this deal?
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
X-Raym

So generous move from your part, the community will be very thankfull to you

I wish you all the best for your project !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
AndreiT

Thank you!
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicK View Post
Very generous of you Jonathan. Are you including all the track packs as part of this deal?
Everything on the Storyteller Store has moved to the same donation model - including TrackPacks.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiT View Post
Thank you!
You are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
So generous move from your part, the community will be very thankfull to you

I wish you all the best for your project !
Thank you! And thank you for all you’ve done as well! The Reaper community is what it is today largely in part due to your contributions.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Everything on the Storyteller Store has moved to the same donation model - including TrackPacks.
Wow, that's really generous! Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
kotsaris

Thanks a lot Storyteller!
Just have a question for you:
Is there any easy way to transform our existing track templates to your format,so that we can use them with the additional functions?
Just recently made some track templates to use with Reaticulate and it's strange to use a completely different system now...
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
Thanks a lot Storyteller!
Just have a question for you:
Is there any easy way to transform our existing track templates to your format,so that we can use them with the additional functions?
Just recently made some track templates to use with Reaticulate and it's strange to use a completely different system now...
You're welcome! There are a number of things that make OTR track templates work within OTR overall workflow. In short, it is possible to convert over your existing track templates if you use the correct naming conventions and track routing configurations, but there is not a simple process to just "convert them over" to the OTR formatting.

I haven't spoken to Jason (@tack) about directly integrating his Reaticulate plugin with OTR yet, but I know he said yesterday that he was going to take OTR out for a test run. He will probably be a better point of reference on the ease of converting over an existing Reaticulate Track Template to OTR. I'll also reach out to him directly to see if he may have quick recommendations for his users. I would expect it to be a pretty easy process overall.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
kotsaris

Quote:
You're welcome! There are a number of things that make OTR track templates work within OTR overall workflow. In short, it is possible to convert over your existing track templates if you use the correct naming conventions and track routing configurations, but there is not a simple process to just "convert them over" to the OTR formatting.

I haven't spoken to Jason (@tack) about directly integrating his Reaticulate plugin with OTR yet, but I know he said yesterday that he was going to take OTR out for a test run. He will probably be a better point of reference on the ease of converting over an existing Reaticulate Track Template to OTR. I'll also reach out to him directly to see if he may have quick recommendations for his users. I would expect it to be a pretty easy process overall.
Ok,I'll dig deeper into OTR workflow and hopefully I'll provide some info about the conversion of templates.
Nice recommendation regarding reaching out to tack.Would love to see a unite of these workflows!
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #11
X-Raym

Quote:
Thank you! And thank you for all you’ve done as well! The Reaper community is what it is today largely in part due to your contributions.
Many thanks for your words, it is really appreciated

Seeing other open and altruist people sharing their works (if not more !) is what is the most stimulating !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
peter5992

Quote:
Hey guys & gals,

I wanted to make an announcement today that for a minimum of the next 30 days, I want to make Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR) a free/donation only project.

Over the past year and a half since its introduction, OTR has attracted a number of well known composers, has helped a countless number of newcomers to Reaper, and helped its users learn how to build efficient routing of orchestral templates. The most applauded feature of the project is the stem render process, which reduces day-long/multi-day processes to a push of a button, but there are also quite a number of additionally applauded, built-in features that are not natively available in any other DAW. If you are unfamiliar with OTR, check it out here: http://otr.storyteller.im

While this is a bit of an experiment in moving to a donation-only model, hopefully, this will be the model moving forward. I believe in helping the community in any way I can contribute. With OTR, this has always been my goal all along. In the beginning, there were costs associated with the product launch – and I thank every user who has contributed to its success which has allowed me to get to a point where I could make this donation model a viable approach.

To answer any concerns to current and future users: Yes, I do plan on continuing to update the software. My thoughts are that this approach can also bring about additional community contributions that can help OTR flourish beyond its current state. Let's make it the best it can be! Hopefully, this will be a win-win for everyone out there.

Note to OSX users: There has been an ongoing bug with Reaper portable installs (not OTR related, but it could affect the OTR install) on various OSX configurations that may require you to update the included version of Reaper to the latest build. Please make sure you follow the "how to update" instructions in the manual or check out the troubleshooting video on the Storyteller Youtube page.
Interesting move! I hope it broadens the user base, and I also hope that people will continue to put their money where their mouth is, i.e., by contributing to something that is useful to them in their daily lives.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Interesting move! I hope it broadens the user base, and I also hope that people will continue to put their money where their mouth is, i.e., by contributing to something that is useful to them in their daily lives.
Thanks Peter! We will see where it goes. It definitely has been an interesting experiment so far. I really do want this to be the model moving forward.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #14
Steviebone

Wow! I just discovered this product. This looks very interesting. And very generous of you. Thank you.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #15
Tobbe

Have to ask. Does it work with Reaper for Linux?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Have to ask. Does it work with Reaper for Linux?
I haven't gone down the Linux route, so I am not certain how it will play together. I would guess (since OSX is linux based) that it should work just fine by replacing the OSX binary with the Linux binary. It would be a good experiment if you wanted to provide any feedback on it, though.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Wow! I just discovered this product. This looks very interesting. And very generous of you. Thank you.
You are welcome
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
Tobbe

Quote:
I haven't gone down the Linux route, so I am not certain how it will play together. I would guess (since OSX is linux based) that it should work just fine by replacing the OSX binary with the Linux binary. It would be a good experiment if you wanted to provide any feedback on it, though.
Oh, I'm not that good on Linux to know how I replace binary. Someone else with that skill have to jump in here
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 AM   #19
Xaviez

macOS user here, when I try to launch the Reaper.app inside the OTR folder, it does start but it's running the stock splash screen, stock template, there's no new menubars and the OTR templates are not present under "File > Project Templates".
It's as if it's loading just a clean portable install of Reaper.

I checked and it is loading the older version found in the OTR folder, not the newer version I have installed under Applications.

Any tips on getting OTR working?
Xaviez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #20
Geoff-h3o

Default If this is any help

From the otr quickstart guide:

"On Reaper updates…The Reaper DAW updates fairly regularly. To update the copy that is included in the OTR
folder on Mac, simply download and move the latest Reaper.app file (and Reamote64.app) to the “Orchestral
Template For Reaper” folder - which is located in your Applications folder. On Windows, run the latest Reaper
installer and make sure you choose “portable install” and then select the original Orchestral Template For Reaper
folder"
I think you'll have to reinstall your themes etc

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 10-23-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #21
Xaviez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post

"On Reaper updates…The Reaper DAW updates fairly regularly. To update the copy that is included in the OTR
folder on Mac, simply download and move the latest Reaper.app file (and Reamote64.app) to the “Orchestral
Template For Reaper” folder - which is located in your Applications folder. On Windows, run the latest Reaper
installer and make sure you choose “portable install” and then select the original Orchestral Template For Reaper
folder"
The Reaper install within OTR folder isnt updated, its still the same version that came with the download, I tried removing the REAPER folder from Application Support to make sure it doesnt load as an installed app but as a Portable Install instead (which should read the files from the OTR folder), but it creates a new folder under Application Support so I suspect it is not launching as a Portable Install.

Edit: Solved it, I created a new portable install using the new version of Reaper and then copied everything from OTR folder except the Reaper64.app, reaper.ini and the version file. Now it works as intended.

Last edited by Xaviez; 10-23-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Solved the problem.
Xaviez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #22
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviez View Post
The Reaper install within OTR folder isnt updated, its still the same version that came with the download, I tried removing the REAPER folder from Application Support to make sure it doesnt load as an installed app but as a Portable Install instead (which should read the files from the OTR folder), but it creates a new folder under Application Support so I suspect it is not launching as a Portable Install.

Edit: Solved it, I created a new portable install using the new version of Reaper and then copied everything from OTR folder except the Reaper64.app, reaper.ini and the version file. Now it works as intended.
Great to hear! I was about to chime in. For future people who may view this thread:

Old 10-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
Dev_NIX

Hi! It's impossible for me to download even any of the TrackPacks, is there any alternative?
Dev_NIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
Geoff-h3o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_NIX View Post
Hi! It's impossible for me to download even any of the TrackPacks, is there any alternative?
How impossible?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #25
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_NIX View Post
I will send you an alternative download link for the trackpacks. I got your email today but have not had a chance to upload the other trackpacks to an alternative location or respond back yet. I know some people have had trouble downloading the largest 3 or 4 trackpacks based on their location (for some reason Europe has had an issue with these files). I haven't had anyone else have problems with the other trackpacks, so that is a first for me.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #26
Deelanee

Quote:

folder"
I would like to keep my existing templates and add the OTR, do we HAVE to use OTR in a portable install?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #27
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelanee View Post
I would like to keep my existing templates and add the OTR, do we HAVE to use OTR in a portable install?
Hey! Thanks for the question. OTR uses a portable install bundle so it will be separate to any existing install you may have. If you would like to keep existing project templates (I assume that is what you mean when you say "template"), you can copy them from the Project Template folder in your existing Reaper install to the OTR Project Templates folder. However, if you are talking about other potential modifications to your current Reaper, let me know and I will let you know how to make sure those can be married over to the OTR portable install.

That said, since OTR relies heavily on a specific track naming convention for various types of tracks, your template may not operate to OTR's full potential. For example, the one-click stem render process will require you to have started with an OTR template. However, your existing template may be able to be converted over rather painlessly to make full use of OTR's features. Either way, your existing template will still open and work in OTR since it is just a hot-rodded version of Reaper.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #28
composerguy78

Quote:

Hi there - Just wondering if Reaticulate is compatible with OTR? I see it’s been quite a few months since this was written and I would love to be able to use OTR! I somewhat rely on Reaticulate however!
composerguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #29
Geoff-h3o

Reaper 6 is on the horizon -we may be lucky.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:23 AM   #30
composerguy78

Quote:
Reaper 6 is on the horizon -we may be lucky.
Are the two ‘products’ currently incompatible?!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #31
Vish1211

They work perfectly fine with each other! I haven't found any issues yet!
Vish1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #32
composerguy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish1211 View Post
They work perfectly fine with each other! I haven't found any issues yet!
Brilliant! Thank you for letting me know!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #33
storyteller

Just chiming in to confirm they work well together. They just aren’t packaged together at the moment since Tack is still in a pseudo development of reaticulate.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #34
Tobbe

Just to let every Linux user know that OTR is working flawless. I've watched all the videos and starting to understand the concept. It's brilliant. Some videos I need to see twice so I dont miss anything important.

I installed a new copy of Reaper in a new directory named reaper_otr and copied over everything from OTR extracted folder. Created a new entry in the meny and now I have both. Maybe I delete the original in the future but for now, I have both.

Thanks Storyteller for all the work and awesome concept/workflow. It's time to practice and create my own Trackpacks. I dont have Kontakt and zillions of libraries so I use SSO and VPO and other free instruments.

10 out 10 (thumbs Up)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 AM   #35
Tobbe

Oh, forgot to ask:

If I wanna separate the Guitar Category into two, one for acoustics and the second one for electric can I do that by renaming one I won't use (or create a new with all the fancy stuff)?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #36
TonE

Is this free or not, did not test anything, if not free title should be changed.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #37
Geoff-h3o

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Is this free or not, did not test anything, if not free title should be changed.
title says it: Free/donation only; you choose. :-)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #38
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Well, if you did not test anything, how about just going to that website and check to see for yourself instead of patronizing people and polluting threads with your bad mood.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
hopi

Hey ya all.... plz keep it sweet... storyteller did a huge piece of work on this and I for one paid the full price shortly after the initial release...

YOU... whomever you might be should be overjoyed to have it now as a donationware...

It would take you soooooo much time to make this for yourself and most of 'you' would never do it.

then again, 'most of you' would never need it.. LoL
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #40
Geoff-h3o

[QUOTE=hopi;2134525]Hey ya all.... plz keep it sweet... storyteller did a huge piece of work on this and I for one paid the full price shortly after the initial release...

YOU... whomever you might be should be overjoyed to have it now as a donationware...

It would take you soooooo much time to make this for yourself and most of 'you' would never do it.

then again, 'most of you' would never need it.. LoL[/QUOTE
+ 1 ...duh, "Message too short"..... +10