Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
chicken muffin
Human being with feelings

Default Reason, Reaper, And ReWire. What Do I Need To Know?

hi. i want to try rewire in reaper. what are the basic things i need to know to use reason via rewire in reaper effectively?
chicken muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
chicken muffin

i want to import reasons synths audio into reaper, and i want to import reasons midi tracks into reaper.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
technogremlin

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReWire
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
dungbeetle

First, download Marcus82's templates zip file (see below).

Thanks Marcus!

1. Unzip the 'multi instrument rewire.RPP' and the 'multi instrument rewire.rns' files from marcus82's zip file.

2. Fire up REAPER and load the 'multi instrument rewire.RPP' file.

3. REAPER loads the project, fires up Reason and ReWires to it. You'll notice you have a number of tracks available in REAPER now which relate to stereo pairs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc.

4. Now switch to Reason and load the 'multi instrument rewire.rns' file.

5. You'll see that Marcus has connected a number of instruments to each stereo pair in the Hardware Interface. These correspond to the stereo pairs (or tracks) in REAPER.

Next:

Taking REDRUM as an example, program four to the floor and run the pattern.

Then go to REAPER Track 3 (audio 1/2), right click on the meter and select 'Record: output (stereo)'.

You should now see the meter registering the drum signal.

Finally, record arm the track and hit record on the transport bar.

The track should now record the drum signal from Reason.

That should get you started and enable you to see how the routing works in both Reason and REAPER.
Attached Files
File Type: zip multi instrument rewire.zip (337.4 KB, 2012 views)

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer

Last edited by dungbeetle; 05-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
chicken muffin

are you bloody serious??? you guys call that help? rewire is a detailed process. and there like one ridiculously short page dedicated to the topic in the reaper wiki that gives me enough rewire information to microwave a frozen pizza!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken muffin View Post
are you bloody serious??? you guys call that help? rewire is a detailed process. and there like one ridiculously short page dedicated to the topic in the reaper wiki that gives me enough rewire information to microwave a frozen pizza!
First of all, you clearly asked for the basic things. Second, maybe you can just try a few things out before asking for the obvious. I can just load up Orion rewired into Reaper, the same with the Reason demo I have. As soon as you ask for specific things I'm sure someone will give you specific information as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Goseba

I just spent last night figuring out how to rewire Reason in to Reaper so I can record each track individually and simulaneously. Took some time and a few mistakes but I got there. I haven't tried midi yet, but I'm not so bothered about that.

C.M., when I get home tonight I will see if I can put some notes together for you with a couple of example files. Can you PM me over at KVR a reminder, I spend more time there.
Goseba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
chicken muffin

yes ill do that goseba im sorry i snapped at you guys. its just that from looking at the reaper rewire panel, theres a lot more information that i need to know before i can record midi, and multiple reason synths. i need detailed information. and it seems people are describing the processes as they would if they already knew how to do them. remember, i know nothing about reaper or the way reaper does rewire.

the problem im having is that i can record one channel by soloing it in reason and hitting record. but once i try to record another synth and i hit play, i get no sound like im not setting up another channel or something. theres so many thing not being described that i need to know how to do before i can use reaper and reason effectively. and that whats frustrating me cause people are only telling me the basics.

Last edited by chicken muffin; 05-29-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
dungbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken muffin View Post
are you bloody serious??? you guys call that help?
Sorry I spoke.

Goodbye.

"In the hopes of reaching the moon, men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet." - Albert Schweitzer
dungbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
Goseba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeetle View Post
Sorry I spoke.

Goodbye.
He had already apologised for that...
Goseba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
technogremlin

OK, maybe my reaction was a little off-base as well. So I apologise too. I'm wind up in a braindead discussion over at the Orion forum that is getting to me a little bit.

As for the MIDI-part, I don't share MIDI between Orion (in my case, but similar to Reason in this regard), I rewire Orion into Reaper and use Orion's own pattern sequencing that syncs with Reaper through the Rewire connection. However, I seem to recal that Rewire is mostly a 'virtual audio cable' so you need something else to get the MIDI across. I might be wrong here as I don't use it, but if I'm correct then you might look into a program called MIDIyoke. It's effectively a 'virtual midi cable'.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
t00nz

Rewiring
--------

Add a new track to Reaper to hold the Reason instrument.

Edit the FX for this track, and add Reason (it`s in the Rewire section)

Reason should now startup in slave mode.

Now you can see an Audio and a Midi tab for Reason in the Reaper FX window.

Audio
-----

Edit the I/O for the Reason track and set the number of channels to the number of Rewire audio channels you want coming in from Reason.

Back in the FX panel use the Audio tab to setup routing, to either:

1) Route all odd Reason channels to audio channel 1, and all even to 2

This gives you a quick way to get started, individual levels can be adjusted in Reason on the instruments themselves, all sounds will come out of this single Reaper track.

2) Route as 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4 etc, and in I/O panel turn off 'send to master' for this track

Now no sound is going to the master outs in Reaper, but Reaper has internal channels on this track, so you can now, add another Reaper track with a receive from this one.. say, to make channel 5/6 of the Reason track map to 1/2 of the new track.. giving you a track control for that instrument.

(There is also a shortcut for setting up multi routing channels like this on the right button menu of the FX window for tracks).

Midi
----

To save confusion, I tend to create a new track to hold the midi I want for each particular Reason instrument.

So, add a new Reaper track. Setup a send to the Reason Reaper track using the I/O panel for the new track. And edit the send, to map all midi channels to a single channel, say channel 3.

Then open up the Reason track FX, and route midi channel 3 to the instrument you want it to get to.

Troubleshooting
---------------

Check midi is getting to Reason using the midi "note on" light for the instrument in Reason. If it`s not firing, then check the midi track is unmuted, sending to the Reason track (on the right channel) and the Reason Track FX panel is setup to route this midi to the right instrument.

Check audio is present on the correct channels in Reason. If not then get your patching right in Reason.

At this point it should be hitting Reaper even if you can`t hear it.

Check you have enough channels on the Rewire track in Reaper (I/O tab) .. and check where this is routed to in the Reaper track FX panel. If not routed to a track on the master then you'll need to do this. E.g. you may have audio on Ch 5 and 6 in Reason, but this needs to be routed to 1 & 2 in the Reason track in Reaper or to 1 & 2 of another Reaper track via a send from the Reason track.

In short, a basic 4 instrument Reason setup with 8 audio channels (4 stereo) setup:

Track 1 (8channel) in Reaper has Reason via Rewire and sends stereo Audio to tracks 2, 3, 4 and 5.. (Audio routing is setup in Track 1 FX panel AND in Reaper I/O for each track)

Tracks 6, 7, 8 and 9 are midi tracks, with midi sends to track one.. Routing setup in Reaper I/O and mapping to instruments setup in Rewire FX panel
t00nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Ely

Default THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you for making those two templates for Reaper and Rewire!!! They are a LIFE SAVER!!! I think I was about to lose my mind.

Thank god people care!
Ely
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Ely

Default Request..

Could someone post a template that has BOTH drum and instrument Reason tracks rewired to Reaper please!

Thanks in advance
Ely
Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #15
SiKo

Default 32 channels template

Check this: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=28
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
dFect

Default More Midi Channels

You may find that you will eventually hit the 16 midi channel limit in Reapers implementation of rewire (or have they solved that one already?). I personally prefer to use midiyoke to link reaper and reason. I map four midiyoke midi ports to the reason midi mapping panel just above the audio rewire panel (a total of 64 midi channels), then use that panel to map to instruments of choice. That way I can load up a different reason rack for the same reaper song, and not have to redo all my midi mappings in reaper. Remember to enable Low Latency mode in midi preferences for those midiyoke ports.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
Ely

Default Readrum MIDI send and recieve

I am using Reason's Redrum rewired into Reaper and I want to simply send the MIDI info from Readrum to Reaper and vice versa...

Example- I want to create a drum pattern on Readrum- Play it back while recording it's MIDI info to a Reaper MIDI track.. then play back the Reaper MIDI drum track sending info back to Readrum triggering its samples (like a soft synth)

How is this done?

Thanks
Ely
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
daal

I'm trying to do just the same thing right now ? Any comment ?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely View Post
I am using Reason's Redrum rewired into Reaper and I want to simply send the MIDI info from Readrum to Reaper and vice versa ..
Unfortunately you can't send MIDI (notes) from the slaved application to the Host in a ReWire session - you can only send timing information (song position).

Looks like Propellerheads are about to enter the DAW market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855aToOvkd8

Maybe we won't need ReWire for Reason any more.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #20
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
Unfortunately you can't send MIDI (notes) from the slaved application to the Host in a ReWire session - you can only send timing information (song position).
I've done this in the past using a virtual MIDI loopback driver. REAPER slaved to PT was playing a few of the PT RTAS VI's. It was my attempt to add extra MIDI functions in the PT 7.x era.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
daal

Thanks. In the meantime I found how to export midi so after some midi editing that's quite OK.

But that feature would be very nice to try different sound engines without having to duplicate/edit midi info.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #22
malcolmj

Well, it turns out that they have entered the DAW market:

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/

but still no MIDI out from Reason. And "Record" only functions as a ReWire slave, so we still need to use ReWire to get access to VSTi's.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
octopu1138

Hey, I'm sure this has been covered but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the answer:

Reaper doesn't even have the option to Rewire. This is confusing to me because it all worked on my last computer and I was able to rewire through the effects area and there was a "rewire: Reason" or whatever option. Now there is no section on rewiring at all on my new computer. This confuses me. I even reinstalled everything to make sure it wasn't just something screwy in the transfer between computers.

How do I get the little option to rewire back? It just doesn't even exist...
octopu1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
bluzkat

octo,

You have to 'select' the "Rewire" driver when you install Reaper. You can just re-install Reaper (make sure to select the Rewire option) and you should see Rewire (magically) reappear.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
octopu1138

I'm working on a mac, it doesn't really install it just kind of opens up... :-/

Is there someplace I can download and install the driver seperately?
octopu1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
bluzkat

Sorry can't help with a 'mac'.

Did you try the OSX forum?? Maybe someone in there can get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #27
Ely

Default Midiyoke+Reason - How exactly is this done??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dFect View Post
You may find that you will eventually hit the 16 midi channel limit in Reapers implementation of rewire (or have they solved that one already?). I personally prefer to use midiyoke to link reaper and reason. I map four midiyoke midi ports to the reason midi mapping panel just above the audio rewire panel (a total of 64 midi channels), then use that panel to map to instruments of choice. That way I can load up a different reason rack for the same reaper song, and not have to redo all my midi mappings in reaper. Remember to enable Low Latency mode in midi preferences for those midiyoke ports.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how this is done.. and where is "the reason midi mapping panel just above the audio rewire panel" ??

Thanks
Ely
Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #28
Ely

Default Rearoute Midiyoke Reason

To use MIDIyoke with Reaper and Reason do I need to install Rewire?

I think I'm RE-Confused!

Re-thanks.
e
Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #29
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely View Post
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how this is done.. and where is "the reason midi mapping panel just above the audio rewire panel" ??

Thanks
Ely
He's talking about the midi panel in the hardware interface in REASON.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
cam

Default Bolleaux

I've only got Reason 2.0 and the multi-instruments don't load...

Ah well, some useful info anyway....
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #31
nutterwithbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dFect View Post
Anyone know how to enable low latency mode?

I am having MAJOr latency issues with Midi Yoke and reason

Many Super thanks!
nutterwithbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #32
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterwithbutter View Post
Anyone know how to enable low latency mode?
I am having MAJOr latency issues with Midi Yoke and reason
Many Super thanks!
Not sure whether this will help with the latency problem or not, but you may like to try the Maple Vitual MIDI cable (http://maplemidi.com/) instead of MIDIYoke. I switched to the Maple driver ages ago because I found that MIDI Yoke seemed to be causing MIDI timing problems in my system at the time. I've experienced no probs at all with Maple though.

There's a great article about this sort of thing here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...pcmusician.htm

Last edited by Xasman; 08-10-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #33
nutterwithbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Not sure whether this will help with the latency problem or not, but you may like to try the Maple Vitual MIDI cable (http://maplemidi.com/) instead of MIDIYoke. I switched to the Maple driver ages ago because I found that MIDI Yoke seemed to be causing MIDI timing problems in my system at the time. I've experienced no probs at all with Maple though.

There's a great article about this sort of thing here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...pcmusician.htm
Thanks Xasman - I tried these as well as low latency mode for midi (right click outputs in reaper midi preferences!)but still I am having MAJOR latency problems (although not as bad as Midi Yoke - its about a quarter of a second latency)
Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #34
SiKo

Quote:
Thanks Xasman - I tried these as well as low latency mode for midi (right click outputs in reaper midi preferences!)but still I am having MAJOR latency problems (although not as bad as Midi Yoke - its about a quarter of a second latency)
Do you have these latency issues with my track template as well?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #35
nutterwithbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
Do you have these latency issues with my track template as well?
Hi SiKo

I have no latency problems using rewire - however, the reason I want to use virtual midi cables is to get past the 16midi out limit that reaper is currently limited to

Your template is great and is pretty much how I would set up the rewire - however i want more than 16midi out tracks (hence midi yoke / loopback etc)!!!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #36
PiaKraft

Quote:
Disable options->audio->buffering->Anticipative FX processing
PiaKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #37
nutterwithbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiaKraft View Post
Disable options->audio->buffering->Anticipative FX processing
AMAZING!!!!

This is so great !

THANKS!!!!!

It actually works! - Funny how all of the descriptions talks about reducing latency if they are enabled which is actually the complete opposite!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #38
harvestthesouls

Hi I'm really confused how to set up reason's outputs (i.e. how to each reason track which channel to output to):s

Additionally, when loading up rewire, Reason steals my keyboard, not alowing reaper to receive direct midi signals from my keyboard. Me no likey, how do I keep my keyboard active in reaper only?

*Issue resolved by enabling feedback routing!*

Last edited by harvestthesouls; 05-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.
harvestthesouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #39
Dogstar060763

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungbeetle View Post
That should get you started and enable you to see how the routing works in both Reason and REAPER.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS.

Works absolutely perfectly, first time. I actually took the template and loaded in my own Reason 5 track - fantastic. Reaper had no problems at all in managing everything without a hitch. This template is such a lifesaver - I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong - this file shows exactly how to connect Reaper to Reason to get them both playing nice.

You've saved me countless headaches - very grateful!
Dogstar060763 is offline   Reply With Quote