Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
heyhellosup
Human being with feelings

Default Additional kontakt midi channels are extremely quiet on project reload.

I recently in the last couple of months started using different instrument articulations in one kontakt instance per instrument. For example, one kontakt instance with a legato on channel 1, spiccato on channel 2, etc. I don't route them any special way, I just change the channel for the midi notes based on what articulation I want to use. Everything is fine during the session, but upon saving and then reloading later on, I come back and some of the articulations on other channels are EXTREMELY quiet. I have no clue what is causing this and it's driving me nuts.
heyhellosup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:29 AM   #2
Stroudy

Check that dynamic controls (such as mod wheel for expression) are being transmitted on the corresponding midi channels. Depending on how you're laying out your multi-channel approach, all CC messages may be going to ch01, meaning nothing is lifting the expression/dynamics of the other articulations.

Using multiple channels of a cc can be difficult to manage within a single part. You could use some kind of midi routing plugin to route ch01 to some or all of the other channels. If the kontakt instrument sounds ok with that, of course.

x-raym has a JSFX called MIDI CC Chanel router - that could work.

good luck
Stroudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
heyhellosup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
Check that dynamic controls (such as mod wheel for expression) are being transmitted on the corresponding midi channels. Depending on how you're laying out your multi-channel approach, all CC messages may be going to ch01, meaning nothing is lifting the expression/dynamics of the other articulations.

Using multiple channels of a cc can be difficult to manage within a single part. You could use some kind of midi routing plugin to route ch01 to some or all of the other channels. If the kontakt instrument sounds ok with that, of course.

x-raym has a JSFX called MIDI CC Chanel router - that could work.

good luck
I will check this out, though I don't think it has any thing to do with routing because everything works fine while I am working on the project. It is reaper or Kontakt doing something upon project reload that is effecting the volume of some of the channels, seemingly all but channel 1. I wonder why though there would be something that resets if I haven't yet written any cc to anything but channel 1 anyway, like I've only adjusted the volume sliders on the instruments inside Kontakt itself. Theres nothing else written into the piano roll channel wise except notes.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file, using Kontakt Factory instruments (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhellosup View Post
I will check this out, though I don't think it has any thing to do with routing because everything works fine while I am working on the project. It is reaper or Kontakt doing something upon project reload that is effecting the volume of some of the channels, seemingly all but channel 1. I wonder why though there would be something that resets if I haven't yet written any cc to anything but channel 1 anyway, like I've only adjusted the volume sliders on the instruments inside Kontakt itself. Theres nothing else written into the piano roll channel wise except notes.
More then likely CC7 or CC11 or both could be getting reset to 0. What I do is put a default level of my choosing at the start of every midi track, like 85 or 90.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
heyhellosup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
More then likely CC7 or CC11 or both could be getting reset to 0. What I do is put a default level of my choosing at the start of every midi track, like 85 or 90.
This was it, it might have to do with how I have reacontrol midi set up. How are you setting the default level?
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhellosup View Post
This was it, it might have to do with how I have reacontrol midi set up. How are you setting the default level?
I do it in the CC lanes. If you have separate items on each track, you might have to do it with each item, I'm not sure. I use full song items so I can have "track based midi".