Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Azzar
Human being with feelings
 
Azzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 36
Default Contextual Toolbars and MIDI editor focus

I have set up a few contextual toolbars in the MIDI editor but when I open them and click on an icon to trigger an action, the action runs and focus is switched to the arrange view window - which is; 1: Impractical, and 2: Odd, because I don't think that's the intended behavior.

The release notes for SWS 2.6.3 (March 2015) has this line:
"When closing toolbar, restore focus to last focused window"

I'm assuming that having the toolbar set to Auto Close, and triggering an action does count as closing the toolbar so I'm at a loss here.

I tested this on a vanilla portable Reaper 5.973 + SWS 2.10.0.1 installation, so I'm pretty sure it's not some contamination from other scripts or weird configuration.

Does anyone know if this is JustTheWayItIs™, a recently appeared bug, or if there's any way to fix it?*

(*I tried making a toolbar action into a custom action that first triggers the wanted action, and then a script that calls SN_FocusMIDIEditor(). That works, but it would be really tedious to have to do that with all toolbars in the MIDI editor, hence this post.)
Azzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 10,980
Default

Could be added for next SWS version. Though the slight MIDI editor blinking is unavoidable I think because when clicking on a toolbar button MIDI editor looses focus and is set back afterwards.


Last edited by nofish; 04-07-2019 at 11:33 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #3
thevisi0nary
Human being with feelings
 
thevisi0nary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 392
Default

Bump. Definitely annoying.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
cutnpaste
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzar View Post
I have set up a few contextual toolbars in the MIDI editor but when I open them and click on an icon to trigger an action, the action runs and focus is switched to the arrange view window - which is; 1: Impractical, and 2: Odd, because I don't think that's the intended behavior.

The release notes for SWS 2.6.3 (March 2015) has this line:
"When closing toolbar, restore focus to last focused window"

I'm assuming that having the toolbar set to Auto Close, and triggering an action does count as closing the toolbar so I'm at a loss here.

I tested this on a vanilla portable Reaper 5.973 + SWS 2.10.0.1 installation, so I'm pretty sure it's not some contamination from other scripts or weird configuration.

Does anyone know if this is JustTheWayItIs™, a recently appeared bug, or if there's any way to fix it?*

(*I tried making a toolbar action into a custom action that first triggers the wanted action, and then a script that calls SN_FocusMIDIEditor(). That works, but it would be really tedious to have to do that with all toolbars in the MIDI editor, hence this post.)
Contextual toolbars to put it simply really is a waste of time. Use Radial contextual it is far better and the possibility of combination of options goes far beyond contextual toolbars.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
thevisi0nary
Human being with feelings
 
thevisi0nary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
Contextual toolbars to put it simply really is a waste of time. Use Radial contextual it is far better and the possibility of combination of options goes far beyond contextual toolbars.
I absolutely see where you are coming from, but for what I do in the midi editor everything I use is condensed to 4 toolbars and in this instance I just prefer the visual layout of the buttons. Radial menu is definitely great though.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 10,980
Default

I've added this for next SWS version.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
thevisi0nary
Human being with feelings
 
thevisi0nary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I've added this for next SWS version.
<3 Thank you
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
thevisi0nary
Human being with feelings
 
thevisi0nary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I've added this for next SWS version.
Sorry one other question, is there anything specific I would have to do to have the contextual toolbars appear in the notation editor?
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 10,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Sorry one other question, is there anything specific I would have to do to have the contextual toolbars appear in the notation editor?
Afaik there's currently no context support for notation editor at all in SWS unfortunately.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #10
Azzar
Human being with feelings
 
Azzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I've added this for next SWS version.
Fantastic. Thank you!
Azzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.