Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Default Free acoustic drum bank for DrumGizmo, 1.7 GB, round robin

This is a drumkit I made from the tchackpoum.fr samples for DrumGizmo, a free drum plugin. It is composed of up to 18 velocity layers per kit piece, and 2 round robin hits per kit piece. The total size is 1.7 GB so it should work for computers with a minimum 4 GB of RAM (it should even work on computers with 32-bit Windows and 32-bit Reaper). It uses significantly less CPU than some DrumGizmo kits since it doesn't have channel bleed (which means far fewer audio streams are playing at once); instead the ambient support for the kit is handled by room and overhead bus channels.

This kit has two different approaches of working with it:
  • Use a single comprehensive kit in a single instance of DrumGizmo, which has 16 outputs, so the room and overhead channels of most kit pieces are pre-mixed into room and overhead buses, or
  • Use multiple kits in multiple instances of DrumGizmo, one for each kit piece type, which gets around the 16-channel limit of a single DrumGizmo instance. This allows for individual room and overhead buses for each kit piece type for maximum control over the sound (a total of 38 audio channels).
Reaper track templates are included to quickly set it up. You'll have to browse to the kit files to load them in each DrumGizmo instance, but that's about all the work it should take. (And decide in the track manager how many child tracks you want visible in the TCP, etc.) Don't forget you can always save a new track template with any changes you make to it, including the overall mix you create and EQ and compression plugins you use.

A couple MP3 demo clips (just a little EQ on the kick but otherwise "dry"):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=122...7QlbVruIQhIzHG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13V...J8tObGzeZY1jo-

I think it's well suited to rock, blues, metal, and so on. It's probably not the best for jazz due to the lack of jazz-type articulations (no brushes used instead of sticks, etc.) It'll probably take some EQ and compression to sculpt it just right. This is about as raw sounding as it gets; it's good sounding, but raw. It's a very good starting point for using reasonable amounts of EQ/compression any mixing engineer would have to do on a good neutral recording of real acoustic drums.

Download the drumkit here (752 MB zip file):

Tchackpoum DrumGizmo kit version 1.3

Download the documentation here (71 KB zip file):

Tchackpoum DrumGizmo documentation version 1.3

Google Drive has file download limits, so I expect this link may not work from time to time.

This kit requires the DrumGizmo plugin (a free plugin), version 0.9.18.1 or newer (the current DrumGizmo version is 0.9.19).

To download DrumGizmo for Windows or Mac, see this page.

If you use Linux and want the Linux VST version of DrumGizmo (for Reaper for Linux), you can get it in the KXStudio repo (Note: only the LV2 version is in the official Linux repos, but not the Linux VST version).

The kit's midimap will be different from any other you use for any other product. Sorry about that. There's an explanation about that in the readme.pdf file.

And if you don't like this: you can have your money back.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-08-2021 at 03:29 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Xasman

Thanks James - appreciate your time and effort in making this available. Look forward to trying it out.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Goldreap

Sounds great and so good to have so many articulations.

One thing,
happens on a few of the drums, definitely snare.

I press a key on my keyboard..triggers the drum.
I release the key...the drum hits again softly.
This doesn't happen when triggering from MIDI editor.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Thanks James - appreciate your time and effort in making this available. Look forward to trying it out.
I'm glad to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post

One thing,

Update/edit: that was a bug in DrumGizmo 0.9.18 which has been resolved as of version 0.9.19.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-04-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
bolgwrad

Many thanks James, will give it a whirl.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'm glad to share!

I think that's a key pressure and/or aftertouch thing. If your MIDI controller has this, and the VSTi supports it, you'll hear it. If your controller has a way of being configured such that it won't send aftertouch info (or key pressure), that's probably the best way to stop that from happening. If your controller can't be configured in this way, another way to at least minimize this effect is by controlling the minimum MIDI velocity on the input FX bin with a JS plugin (MIDI Velocity Control). You'll still get the release of the note triggering a hit, but it won't happen as much.

I have a QuNexus and I notice the same thing. I use Linux now, and its configuration software is only for Windows, so I don't have a way of configuring that. I use the JS plugin and it works well enough for me anyway.
OK thanks, I'll have a look.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
burak

Tried to download drumgismo for Win but their server gives 404 error
burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
dug dog

Quote:
A couple MP3 demo clips (just a little EQ on the kick but otherwise "dry"):

Those sound really good! (And your drumming skills aren't bad, either ).
I remember playing around with those samples some time ago and had forgotten that you were working them up for Drum Gizmo which is looking like an excellent option for drum sounds. And the price is nice!
Congrats and thanks for bringing this across the finish line.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
JamesPeters

You're welcome! I had to put this on hold since I had a weird hearing problem for almost 9 months, which finally went away.

And I only wish I were a good drummer. That's just piano roll MIDI note painting (and drawing velocities).
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
dug dog

Quote:
I had to put this on hold since I had a weird hearing problem for almost 9 months, which finally went away.
I dare not imagine how that would feel. Glad you're out of the woods.

Quote:
And I only wish I were a good drummer. That's just piano roll MIDI note painting (and drawing velocities).
I wondered about that. LOL.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:40 AM   #11
dahya

Nice one JamesPeters, going to give it a try, never heard of DrumGizmo either, but good to know there's more resources for drum kits. Thanks for sharing.
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:17 AM   #12
dahya

OK, so JamesPeters, first time having used DrumGizmo, and every time I want to load an xml file, when I am in the browser, it defaults to a different folder. A number of times I have clicked on the "Set Default Path" button in the browser screen, but it doesn't seem to save this folder, so I keep having to navigate to my drum kit folder every time.

Any ideas how to get the "Set as default path" working?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
JamesPeters

I think it's a bug.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:38 AM   #14
chaot4

Quote:

One thing,

This is a bug and we have a fix in the pipeline which will be in the next DrumGizmo release.
chaot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #15
chaot4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
OK, so JamesPeters, first time having used DrumGizmo, and every time I want to load an xml file, when I am in the browser, it defaults to a different folder. A number of times I have clicked on the "Set Default Path" button in the browser screen, but it doesn't seem to save this folder, so I keep having to navigate to my drum kit folder every time.

Any ideas how to get the "Set as default path" working?
This sounds like a bug. Here is what it should behave like:
* if you already chose a drum kit in this session, then it starts at that path
* if you didn't choose one yet, then open at the default path

We have a config file (in Linux it's under ~/.drumgizmo/plugingui.confg) that saves the default directory. Is it stored correctly there? Also, can you describe a bit more in detail what exactly you are doing such that I can reproduce it here?
Old 04-04-2020, 02:21 AM   #16
dahya

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot4 View Post
This sounds like a bug. Here is what it should behave like:
* if you already chose a drum kit in this session, then it starts at that path
* if you didn't choose one yet, then open at the default path

We have a config file (in Linux it's under ~/.drumgizmo/plugingui.confg) that saves the default directory. Is it stored correctly there? Also, can you describe a bit more in detail what exactly you are doing such that I can reproduce it here?
Chaot4, thanks for the response, I've documented my response and the steps to reproduce the behaviour in the attachment, hope it makes sense!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DrumGizmo Set Default Path Issue.pdf (216.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 04-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #17
chaot4

Thank you very much for the detailed bug report.

I just tried it out under Windows and it worked without issues for me. However, that was Windows 7 and not 10! The configuration file for me was stored in the user directory under:

AppData\Roaming\.drumgizmo\plugingui.conf

Can you check if this file exists for you under this or a similar path?

I can check on a Windows 10, but that takes a bit more time as I don't have one installed on any private machine.

P.S.: You can join us on IRC for interactive debugging. That might be faster/easier: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.f...t:+/#drumgizmo

Last edited by chaot4; 04-04-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
Goldreap

Quote:

I just tried it out under Windows and it worked without issues for me. However, that was Windows 7 and not 10! The configuration file for me was stored in the user directory under:

I can check on a Windows 10, but that takes a bit more time as I don't have one installed on any private machine.

P.S.: You can join us on IRC for interactive debugging. That might be faster/easier: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.f...t:+/#drumgizmo
Ah, the folder has a leading dot. That's why I (and probably dahya) could not find it. I was scrolling straight down in Roaming looking for 'drumgizmo' alphabetically.
OK, it is there at the very top, and it is being written to (just tested by loading a kit in REAPER then checking the date modified of the conf file).
But I can confirm that the 'Set default path' doesn't work.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
Goldreap

Also:
When I load drumgizmo > browse, the default path showing is a path that has nothing to do with any previous activity with drumgizmo.
It's actually a path to a folder of snare samples that I have browsed to in the past from within another program.
To double check, I removed the drumgizmo dll, removed the conf file, did a CCleaner thing (files and registry). Re-installed/opened gizmo.. same default path as before!!??
Old 04-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #20
chaot4

Quote:
Also:
When I load drumgizmo > browse, the default path showing is a path that has nothing to do with any previous activity with drumgizmo.
It's actually a path to a folder of snare samples that I have browsed to in the past from within another program.
To double check, I removed the drumgizmo dll, removed the conf file, did a CCleaner thing (files and registry). Re-installed/opened gizmo.. same default path as before!!??
This and the previous post are very interesting. Thanks for testing! Would it be possible that you upload the file here such that I can have a look at it. But please don't just paste the content but really upload the whole file, because there might be a minor difference in text encoding that breaks reading the file properly and this I can only see if I get the original file.

A short note regarding Windows support: We really would like to have a smoother experience on Windows, but for this we would need a developer who actually uses Windows. Currently all our developers are Linux or even BSD based.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #21
dahya

Quote:

Sorry Chaot4, I've never used IRC that I can remember, I just logged in using your link but I don't know what I'm doing !

Anyway, as Goldreap mentioned, I nearly didn't find the file as it has a full stop at the beginning of the folder name - you may want to emphasise this to other people next time.

So I've found the plugingui.conf file, and I've done some testing as follows:

1. (With Reaper not running) The plugingui.conf file has only one line:
defaultKitPath:

2. Open Reaper, add Drumgizmo, Browse goes to a totally different folder. Set default path:
The plugingui.conf file now shows the correct path that has been set:

defaultKitPath:C:\Sound Libraries\DrumGizmo Drum Kits

3. Load drum kit etc, the correct:
The correct file path still shows in the plugingui.conf file.

4. Remove drumgizmo plugin from the track:

5. Add DrumGizmo again to a track:

6. Browse to load a drumkit:
The correct file path still shows in the plugingui.conf file still.
However, Drumgizmo DOES NOT browse to the default path set earlier, it defaults back to the same folder as at the startup

etc etc

7. Remove DrumGizmo from track:

8. Close / Exit Reaper:
The plugingui.conf file now only shows the following line
defaultKitPath:

So basically, on Reaper exit, the default path set in the plugingui.conf file is now cleared.

Also:

When opening up another instance of DrumGizmo on the same or another track:
When closing this 2nd instance, the Default Path is cleared in the plugingui.conf file.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #22
JamesPeters

Quote:
Sorry Chaot4, I've never used IRC that I can remember, I just logged in using your link but I don't know what I'm doing!
It's not difficult to use, but it's kind of a hassle in some ways. Reading the IRC logs burns my eyes. The whole approach is a bit too old-school for me...and I'm old.

Chaot4: if you want to start a Discord server, that would probably encourage more people to discuss DrumGizmo. There can be separate "channels" for different purposes (development, suggestions, user contributions, etc.) It's really easy to navigate and convenient to use. I just started using it a few days ago and I feel a bit ridiculous for not joining sooner.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:29 AM   #23
Goldreap

Quote:
This and the previous post are very interesting. Thanks for testing! Would it be possible that you upload the file here such that I can have a look at it. But please don't just paste the content but really upload the whole file, because there might be a minor difference in text encoding that breaks reading the file properly and this I can only see if I get the original file.

A short note regarding Windows support: We really would like to have a smoother experience on Windows, but for this we would need a developer who actually uses Windows. Currently all our developers are Linux or even BSD based.
Attached conf file inside a zip. This is how it is after setting the path. I can confirm everything dahya says (all the numbered steps) in his post above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Conf file.zip (202 Bytes, 211 views)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #24
chaot4

Thank you all very much for the details regarding the "default directory" bug. It seems that the config file is malformed for Windows (it was implemented to consistently use the Linux newline character, which would have been fine, but somehow a Windows newline character sneaked in there and breaks things). I will fix what I assume is broken and post a link here to a vst of the (hopefully) fixed version and it would be great if you could then check if it works for you.

Also, regarding the leading dot of the config directory: This is a Linux convention and I guess we should not do that in Windows and I was not aware of us doing that actually. So we will probably change this.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #25
chaot4

Quote:
It's not difficult to use, but it's kind of a hassle in some ways. Reading the IRC logs burns my eyes. The whole approach is a bit too old-school for me...and I'm old.

Chaot4: if you want to start a Discord server, that would probably encourage more people to discuss DrumGizmo. There can be separate "channels" for different purposes (development, suggestions, user contributions, etc.) It's really easy to navigate and convenient to use. I just started using it a few days ago and I feel a bit ridiculous for not joining sooner.
IRC can be used just like a regular chat in the browser without being aware of the horribly outdated technique that is used under the hood.

Regarding Discord: As you know, we already barely find the time to properly respond to posts on linuxmusicians (which is our main forum). Another platform would just make that even worse unfortunately. However, anyone can open up a DrumGizmo Discord channel for people to exchange each other there. We are very happy if DrumGizmo users help other DrumGizmo users -- that gives us more time to implement new stuff or fix old bugs.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
dahya

Quote:
IRC can be used just like a regular chat in the browser without being aware of the horribly outdated technique that is used under the hood.

Regarding Discord: As you know, we already barely find the time to properly respond to posts on linuxmusicians (which is our main forum). Another platform would just make that even worse unfortunately. However, anyone can open up a DrumGizmo Discord channel for people to exchange each other there. We are very happy if DrumGizmo users help other DrumGizmo users -- that gives us more time to implement new stuff or fix old bugs.
Chaot4, I'm not familiar with IRC or Discord, but willing to learn if necessary when I have time.

Anyway, I'm happy to test any changes for DrumGizmo when you make any, and whilst we're talking about it, it would be really nice if the scroll bars in the browse dialogue box behaved like Windows file dialogue box or something - it gets really irritating when all you can do is drag the right hand vertical bar up and down instead of being able to click in the gaps to scroll down a page at a time or something. How about just using a conventional Windows File Open / Save dialogue box and make life easy for us lol ?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #27
chaot4

Hi everyone,

we have an attempted bugfix for the bug that the default directory wasn't saved correctly. It seemed that reading the config file was broken on Windows due to inconsistently using Windows and Linux newlines. Also, in the course of fixing this bug, we changed the Windows config directory name.

It would be nice if you could try out the plugin and check if the bug is fixed. It is available for download here:

https://jenkins.drumgizmo.org/job/Dr...mgizmo_vst.dll

DISCLAIMER:
1) This is a DrumGizmo build between versions, so it might be buggy and is not for production use.
2) We changed the config directory on Windows from .drumgizmo to DrumGizmo, so your old config files will be ignored. This seemed the best solution. If we would've copied old files, there would've been a danger of shifting the bug to the new version.
3) If you test, please use a fresh session, just to be sure that no plugin state still causes the bug even though it is fixed in new sessions.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #28
chaot4

Quote:
Anyway, I'm happy to test any changes for DrumGizmo when you make any, and whilst we're talking about it, it would be really nice if the scroll bars in the browse dialogue box behaved like Windows file dialogue box or something - it gets really irritating when all you can do is drag the right hand vertical bar up and down instead of being able to click in the gaps to scroll down a page at a time or something. How about just using a conventional Windows File Open / Save dialogue box and make life easy for us lol ?
We agree that the file browser experience is currently not good. We're discussing how to best solve this, but didn't reach a conclusion yet.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #29
Goldreap

Quote:
Hi everyone,

we have an attempted bugfix for the bug that the default directory wasn't saved correctly. It seemed that reading the config file was broken on Windows due to inconsistently using Windows and Linux newlines. Also, in the course of fixing this bug, we changed the Windows config directory name.

It would be nice if you could try out the plugin and check if the bug is fixed. It is available for download here:

DISCLAIMER:
1) This is a DrumGizmo build between versions, so it might be buggy and is not for production use.
2) We changed the config directory on Windows from .drumgizmo to DrumGizmo, so your old config files will be ignored. This seemed the best solution. If we would've copied old files, there would've been a danger of shifting the bug to the new version.
3) If you test, please use a fresh session, just to be sure that no plugin state still causes the bug even though it is fixed in new sessions.
I replaced old dll with new (same location).
REAPER doesn't pick it up on the usual startup scan.
Clear cache/ re-scan doesn't pick it up.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #30
chaot4

Oh, that's not good. I actually didn't ask if you need a 32 bit or 64 bit version, so maybe that's the issue. Here's a link to the 32 bit version of this build (above was 64 bit) just in case:

If that also doesn't work I have to have a closer look at that here locally.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #31
Goldreap

REAPER 64 bit here so not a 32 vs 64 thing with that first dll.

Great that you're looking at this. No pressure, just happy to troubleshoot.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:14 AM   #32
chaot4

The builds were broken on our side. I post the new builds that should (hopefully) work now.

64 bit: https://jenkins.drumgizmo.org/job/Dr...mgizmo_vst.dll

32 bit: https://jenkins.drumgizmo.org/job/Dr...mgizmo_vst.dll
Old 04-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #33
Goldreap

OK, new dll loads, but the default path problem not solved.
Still as in dahya's earlier post (the numbered list).
Even if close REAPER, then delete the conf file, then open a new REAPER project, gizmo still opens with default path showing as a path to some samples that I had used months ago in another program. For the sake of discussion I'll refer to that path as 'Soft Snare'. Where is gizmo getting 'Soft Snare' from? Is there a REAPER 'configuration' file that is pointing gizmo to this?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #34
chaot4

Quote:
OK, new dll loads, but the default path problem not solved.
Still as in dahya's earlier post (the numbered list).
Even if close REAPER, then delete the conf file, then open a new REAPER project, gizmo still opens with default path showing as a path to some samples that I had used months ago in another program. For the sake of discussion I'll refer to that path as 'Soft Snare'. Where is gizmo getting 'Soft Snare' from? Is there a REAPER 'configuration' file that is pointing gizmo to this?
Damn... but thanks for testing!

Regarding the 'Soft Snare' directory: We ask Windows for the current working directory (via the getcwd function to be very specific). But this is just a fallback if the default directory is not set, so the bug actually happens earlier. I agree though that we might not want to use getcwd but something else, if it gives such a weird directory under Windows.

I'll have to try to reproduce this locally now, because I don't have an idea right now.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #35
Goldreap

Quote:
Damn... but thanks for testing!

Regarding the 'Soft Snare' directory: We ask Windows for the current working directory (via the getcwd function to be very specific). But this is just a fallback if the default directory is not set, so the bug actually happens earlier. I agree though that we might not want to use getcwd but something else, if it gives such a weird directory under Windows.

I'll have to try to reproduce this locally now, because I don't have an idea right now.
Thinking back, and a bit of history.

It was this thread (JamesPeters') that reminded me of gizmo and prompted me to get it up to date. I remember that I had downloaded gizmo perhaps 5 years ago and being confused by it had put it aside. It is possible that at that point (not realizing how gizmo worked) I did indeed enter the 'Soft Snare' in the gizmo default field...I must have I guess. That would explain the getcwd thing?

But, yes, now even after defining a new default and seeing it come up in the conf file, gizmo still indicates 'Soft Snare' when re-loaded.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #36
chaot4

Quote:
Thinking back, and a bit of history.

It was this thread (JamesPeters') that reminded me of gizmo and prompted me to get it up to date. I remember that I had downloaded gizmo perhaps 5 years ago and being confused by it had put it aside. It is possible that at that point (not realizing how gizmo worked) I did indeed enter the 'Soft Snare' in the gizmo default field...I must have I guess. That would explain the getcwd thing?

But, yes, now even after defining a new default and seeing it come up in the conf file, gizmo still indicates 'Soft Snare' when re-loaded.
Okay, last try for doing this via the forum:

DISCLAIMER: Please delete your old config file and do a new session to test this.

Thank you very much for the patience!
Old 04-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #37
Goldreap

Well done, it works now.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #38
chaot4

Quote:
Well done, it works now.
Awesome! Thanks for testing. The fix and the change of config directory on Windows will be in the next (0.9.19) release.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #39
dahya

Quote:
Okay, last try for doing this via the forum:

DISCLAIMER: Please delete your old config file and do a new session to test this.

Thank you very much for the patience!
YAY !!!! It works now, even when I close the project and start a new project with a different instance of DrumGizmo. Thanks Chaot4 for sorting that out.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #40
jjcale_guitar

Thanks for the nice work with the drumkit! Sounds very nice!
jjcale_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote