Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default v6.08+dev0414 - April 14 2020

v6.08+dev0414 - April 14 2020
  • + Actions: show all actions includes action IDs
  • + JSFX: right-click on loop length in super8 sets length by project tempo
  • + MIDI editor: avoid drawing note text overlapping the following note
  • + MIDI editor: improve appearance of note text that extends beyond the note end
  • + MIDI recording: fix overdub duplicate notes in certain instances where input quantize is used [t=234319]
  • + MusicXML: fix exporting mp, mf dynamics
  • + MusicXML: respect preference to position dynamics below the staff on import [t=233590]
  • + NINJAM import: improve voice chat import, fix timing corner cases
  • + ReaNINJAM: log remote voice chat channels to clipsort.log
  • + ReaNINJAM: options to send local channels and metronome to separate outputs
  • + Recent projects menu: option to show file part before path [t=225274]
  • + Render: add option to not render files that contain only silence [t=233619]
  • + Ruler: add preference to adjust ruler label spacing
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 04-15-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
+ Ruler: add preference to adjust ruler label spacing
Thank you very much! Looks neat. For those who can't find: type "ruler" in Preferences search box and you'll find the slider.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Funkybot

Quote:
[*]+ Ruler: add preference to adjust ruler label spacing
Love this. Also really appreciate that you can see it in real-time.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
_Stevie_

Yes, brilliant little feature. My ruler was never that readable
Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Klangfarben

Just a request on the Ruler adjust. Adjusting the main ruler the same as the secondary ruler is really not ideal at all. Could you please have a slider adjust for both main ruler and secondary ruler?

This is what it currently looks like if you are using timecode as your secondary ruler. This is pretty cluttered. If main ruler could be adjusted separately that would not be the case.

Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
_Stevie_

Yup, I also just noticed. A slider for second ruler would be awesome.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
Klangfarben

Quote:
[*]+ Render: add option to not render files that contain only silence
Thank you very much for this feature. It really is a lifesaver. There are a couple issues though.

1) The first time you render with this option on, it does do it correctly and doesn't render to disk files with silence. On subsequent renders of the same material, it sometimes renders to disk files with silence. After about 5-6 test renders in a row, it always rendered to disk files with silence. No change in the settings, no change in the render.

2) When using the $filenumber wildcard, it is including the silent files not rendered to disk in the numbering. So the end result is the files that are rendered to disk will not be in consecutive numbered order. This is very problematic as there is then no way to consecutively number rendered stems using this option. Silent files should be skipped in the $filenumber wildcard IMHO. I'm guessing this will be an issue with other wildcards as well.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Hmm, could you give a reproducible example of rendering silence with the option enabled? Silence really means silence, if even one sample in the file above -150dB, the whole file will get rendered.

Correcting the wildcard numbering would be complicated but we'll look at it. But it might end up being something you have to live with.

Last edited by schwa; 04-15-2020 at 09:22 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Hmm, could you give a reproducible example of rendering silence with the option enabled? Silence really means silence, if even one sample in the file above -150dB, the whole file will get rendered.

Correcting the wildcard numbering would be complicated but we'll look at it.
Yes, I understand. I'm purposely selecting tracks with no audio whatsoever, no items or plugins in the track. Here's what I did.

1) Select a mix of tracks with and without items and select the do not render silence option.
2) Render the tracks (I was using $filenumber and $track wildcards)
3) The first time you render, none of the tracks with silence are rendered.
4) Delete the files on disk, close the render window, re-open and render again. For me, this time the files with silence that were not rendered previously are now rendered.
5) Repeat the same steps. For the first 4-5 renders, sometimes the files with silence are rendered, sometimes they are not.
6) After somewhere around 6 times of rendering using the above steps, then EVERY time you render with the option checked, files with silence are rendered.
7) Quit Reaper and re-open. Do the same process. Same result.

As far as the render wildcard numbering, it's going to be critical to a lot of people, especially people doing sample exports, people rendering through master, exporting regions, etc. And since the files will now be named out of order, auto-renaming them after the fact will be more difficult as well.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
For the first 4-5 renders, sometimes the files with silence are rendered, sometimes they are not.
Hmm, I'm not seeing that at all.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
Klangfarben

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not seeing that at all.
Try rendering folder tracks with children. I'm always rendering stems that are folder tracks with children inside. In the case of the above test, some of the Folder stems tracks have children with audio, some don't. As I said, the first time I render it does it correctly. Subsequent renders it becomes erratic and then after several renders, doesn't work at all.

Just to reiterate for the silent tracks. No items at all. No plugins. No audio at all routed to them. And like I said, the first time I render it does it correctly and does not render those tracks. It is repeated rendering with the same settings, same time selection where it fails. Here is a screenshot of the render window.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

After some discussion, we may change how this feature works -- "Do not render project areas with no media items" rather than "Do not render files that contain only silence."

This will not handle a category of render, where you're printing instruments or effects, but will make it more predictable with respect to effect tails, mic noise, file numbering, and being generally predictable.

[edit] it sounds like this might not handle your specific use case either, if you're rendering folders with media in child tracks. If you have effects on the child tracks, that might explain the behavior you're seeing, if those effect buffers are maybe outputting tail noise.

Last edited by schwa; 04-15-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Klangfarben

Quote:
After some discussion, we're going to change how this feature works -- "Do not render project areas with no media items" rather than "Do not render files that contain only silence.

This will not handle a category of render, where you're printing instruments or effects, but will make it more predictable with respect to effect tails, mic noise, file numbering, and being generally predictable.
While that would be more predictable, virtual instruments are the majority of what I am printing. So this would "render" the feature useless to a lot of users (sorry had to do it...)

EDIT: Also, if you are worried about "false" triggering, etc. couldn't you just add a box next to it for threshold?
Old 04-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #14
_Stevie_

Quote:
While that would be more predictable, virtual instruments are the majority of what I am printing. So this would "render" the feature useless to a lot of users (sorry had to do it...)
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. This will pretty much mess it up for all media composers who basically render stems for their living.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
akademie

+1 ^^^^^, I agree with _Stevie_
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

As as additional data point, reordering $filenumber and similar wildcards is not really feasible if detecting silence during the render.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #17
Thonex

Quote:
After some discussion, we may change how this feature works -- "Do not render project areas with no media items" rather than "Do not render files that contain only silence."

[edit] it sounds like this might not handle your specific use case either, if you're rendering folders with media in child tracks. If you have effects on the child tracks, that might explain the behavior you're seeing, if those effect buffers are maybe outputting tail noise.
Hey swcha, I hope you are well and staying safe!

I hope you don't abandon the original intent of this feature because I think this was a very good way to speed up workflow without having to micro manage exports and renaming.

IDEA:
Would it not be possible (only in the case when that feature's checkbox is checked) that all files are initially rendered with a "TEMP" prefix name first, then if the source file Max Peak property is <-130dB then it deletes the "TEMP" file, and only renames (based on Reaper's naming and wildcards) the TEMP file if it is above -130dB (or whatever dB you choose)?

Just spitballing here.. because this could be a big feature with very powerful consequences. No?

Last edited by Thonex; 04-15-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
Dragonetti

Thank you for improving the musicxml import.
Does this dialog always have to appear when importing, or could you set it in the Preferences?
Dragonetti
Dragonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #19
deeb

Quote:

Have in mind that There are vstis that do not need items.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
_Stevie_

True, like a Reaktor ensemble that is free running.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
Klangfarben

Quote:
As as additional data point, reordering $filenumber and similar wildcards is not really feasible if detecting silence during the render.
This actually seems feasible to me. When the checkbox pref is checked (and only then) a placeholder of some kind is put in the filenames (TEMP for instance) - as the filenames are created right on initial render. Once the render is complete and Reaper flags the files which have not met the threshold, it deletes those files and renames the remaining files, removing the placeholder and obeying wildcards for existing files only.

Since this behavior would only be implemented when the checkbox was enabled, nothing would need to be changed for existing render behavior. While it is more work to implement, it certainly seems feasible and would give users a fairly complete feature. Rather than something that can only be used in a few situations or for only a few types of workflows.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #22
AB1

Re: Render

Hi all,

Schwa sent me here from there,
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....47#post2272147
A similar problem if anyone is interested. I didn't know you all were on the case when I wrote that script.

(BTW thanks Schwa for all your great work on Reaper - Justin & others too)

Since I am new in here I don't want to ask/suggest anything stupid but I am thinking about this tricky problem and will share if I absolutely cannot contain myself.

Andrew.
AB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
This actually seems feasible to me
Just to say, I don't want to get too sidetracked on implementation details. It's most useful at this stage to discuss use cases. For example, it's very useful to hear that several people who would use this feature are printing effects rather than rendering recorded media.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #24
Klangfarben

Quote:
Just to say, I don't want to get too sidetracked on implementation details. It's most useful at this stage to discuss use cases. For example, it's very useful to hear that several people who would use this feature are printing effects rather than rendering recorded media.
Understood. But just understand media composers don't think of virtual instruments as effects. They are literally the lion share of our projects and the projects are mostly midi data. And like Stevie said, as media composers we basically do two things for a living - edit midi and print stems.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #25
musicbynumbers

+ Ruler: add preference to adjust ruler label spacing

Thanks for this!

Would it be possible to have this in actions as a CC changeable action?

I might be wrong but seems it would be useful to some to be able to change it from time to time dependent on what's needed for the project.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
Thonex

Quote:
Understood. But just understand media composers don't think of virtual instruments as effects. They are literally the lion share of our projects and the projects are mostly midi data. And like Stevie said, as media composers we basically do two things for a living - edit midi and print stems.
Yeah... VSTIs are the backbone for any MIDI composer.. and we tend to look at them as instruments (hence the "i" in VSTi and not "FX".

Thanks schwa for asking for case uses though... because VSTIs are a big consideration.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #27
Reflected

Default subprojects issue

schwa and justin,
I tried to save a project with around 15 subprojects inside and it took me more than 5 minutes! :/
When saving a project with Subprojects inside (save as +copy all media intro a project directory) it seems to re-open all subprojects, even if I already saved and rendered them before [rpp-PROX]

I love the idea of subprojects, but this re-opening thing kill the worth of it for me.

Can you please add an option to "do not re-render / re-open subprojects when 'saving as+copy all media into project directory'" ?

choosing the option "do not automatically render" changes the already rendered subproject to an offline item, when saving as + copy files. so this is not good for me.
Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #28
musicbynumbers

Agree with Reflected. That would be super useful.

Overall there's a few places that subprojects could do with some fine tuning as they are very powerful but could do with another look in at some point to smooth off the fine edges

There's a whole list of these in my signature as a link
Old 04-16-2020, 02:14 AM   #29
TonE

Quote:
... as media composers we basically do two things for a living - edit midi and print stems.
What about editing automations/envelopes?

Regarding stem printing, what is the best workflow for this and why?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #30
srdmusic

Quote:

I believe what would be even more helpful is if Reaper could automatically delete stems that contain only silence. I print to 38 stem/ folder tracks. These tracks never have items on them but audio from instruments in the session get sent to them. I have to manually zoom in all the way on the wav forms and delete out the stems that are blank. This has the potential for me to accidentally delete a stem that does have data. If Reaper could go ahead and print the audio, then analyse and delete the blank stems, that would save me a whole lot of time.

Even if there was an action to select silent media in a session that would help.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #31
G-Sun

Quote:
v6.08+dev0414 - April 14 2020[*]+ MusicXML: respect preference to position dynamics below the staff on import [t=233590]
Are these visual only or does it print as velocity?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #32
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
schwa and justin,
I tried to save a project with around 15 subprojects inside and it took me more than 5 minutes! :/
When saving a project with Subprojects inside (save as +copy all media intro a project directory) it seems to re-open all subprojects, even if I already saved and rendered them before [rpp-PROX]

I love the idea of subprojects, but this re-opening thing kill the worth of it for me.

Can you please add an option to "do not re-render / re-open subprojects when 'saving as+copy all media into project directory'" ?

choosing the option "do not automatically render" changes the already rendered subproject to an offline item, when saving as + copy files. so this is not good for me.
still the same...

subproject is amazing feature but because of this overload is becomes useless. :/

can u please make a fix for that? or tell me a workaround?
Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote