Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
liminant
Human being with feelings

Default midi note hang and F3 button

I have some short midi tracks, in amongst audio tracks, and one or more always hang. Up until now I have been pressing the F3 button at the appropriate time but this is tedious.

Is there something I can insert into the track, at the appropriate time point, that will automatically send a note off event on playback?

I haven't been able to find a solution in the forum (but there's a lot of it!)

I also haven't worked out why they are hanging...

Thanks in advance
liminant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
ernzo

IME this happens sometimes with some old plugins/non-polifonic instruments,
when you hit Play and two notes are triggered at the same time.. even if those instruments may have Legato capabilities.

I just avoid starting play at those points..
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
liminant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
IME this happens sometimes with some old plugins/non-polifonic instruments,
when you hit Play and two notes are triggered at the same time.. even if those instruments may have Legato capabilities.

I just avoid starting play at those points..
Actually I'm experiencing that on monophonic lines.

I'm just looking for a way of inserting something into a track so I don't have to keep hitting F3.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
ernzo

Very strange indeed,

What plug-ins are those?

You are using different MIDI channels/instruments for each one of those tracks right?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
liminant

Quote:
Very strange indeed,

What plug-ins are those?

You are using different MIDI channels/instruments for each one of those tracks right?
Yes, different instruments, all on different channels. It is an intermittent issue for each track but there's always one of them hanging!

The plug-ins are from

https://www.dskmusic.com/category/vsti-all/

I just assumed there would be something simple I could insert to save putting markers in to remind me to press F3!

Thanks
Old 04-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
ernzo

Strange, I've used some of those without a problem..

This might be completely unrelated but,
Years ago I remember increasing the "Ticks per Quarter Note" helped make Miroslav Philharmonik 1 more Stable/Responsive on my side..

You could give it a try,
also check the config is not too different from this one..

Beyond that I'm out of ideas, but surely someone will come

Old 04-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
liminant

Quote:
Strange, I've used some of those without a problem..

This might be completely unrelated but,
Years ago I remember increasing the "Ticks per Quarter Note" helped make Miroslav Philharmonik 1 more Stable/Responsive on my side..

You could give it a try,
also check the config is not too different from this one..

Beyond that I'm out of ideas, but surely someone will come

Many thanks, I'll give that a try

as he said..."I'll be back"
Old 04-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
STOP

Did you tried to put ReaControlMidi first in the fx_chain? This is a workaround that I use for stuck midi notes bug.
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
liminant

Quote:
Originally Posted by liminant View Post
Many thanks, I'll give that a try

as he said..."I'll be back"
I tried that reset however it threw previously recorded notes all over the place as if quantise had been over run by imps!

I've put it back again.

I'm now trying a track using ReaControlMidi as the first FX

The note hanging thing is intermittent and not always the last note in a sequence, sometimes a note, midway through a phrase, will hang creating some bizarre harmonies!

I'm presuming that pressing the F3 button issues a midi note off code, would it be very difficult to program that as an action that could be inserted into a track?

Obviously I wouldn't have a clue about that but, just wondering?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by liminant View Post

I'm presuming that pressing the F3 button issues a midi note off code, would it be very difficult to program that as an action that could be inserted into a track?

For me, F3 doesn't work on VSTi3.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
liminant

I've given up trying to find a fix for hanging notes, I have F3 markers all over the place! Fortunately it doesn't seem to happen when doing a render...so far.

Thanks for the advice though

L
Old 04-28-2020, 04:06 AM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

I just posted this in another very similar thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
You cannot see or insert CC 123 (which is what "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins" sends) using Reaper's piano roll editor. They decided to hide all CC above 119.
But in the Event List editor you can. Albeit it's pretty tedious, especially setting the position in time I find unnecessarily clumsy. But here is how:

- In the event list, either hit the insert key on your keyboard, or right-click -> Insert new event
- In the dialog, type in the position, set Type to "Control Change" and Controller to "123 All Notes off". You can probably leave Value at 127, but can try 0 if that doesn't work.
Channel needs to be the same channel that your offending notes are on. F3 does brute force by sending that message on all 16 channels.

I'd hate to insert that message every bar, so you might try to create an individual MIDI item with length of 1 bar and loop enabled, insert your CC123 at the start of that item and put it on the same track as the other items driving the offending synth. All items on that track would need to be set to "Always mix" in the Item Properties Mix Behavior setting.

I tried the above and it effectively silenced my instrument at every loop iteration.
But I found that it seems to be impossible to insert a CC123 into an empty MIDI item... (it looks as if there is already one, but that is Reaper's way to mark a MIDI item's end position and doesn't work for your purpose). So as a workaround I inserted a note event and in a second step changed that note to a CC123 in the event properties. Phew...
You can save that "panic item" either to a MIDI file or put it into a Project Bay collection to keep it around for the next problem project.

This isn't really what you should (have to) do, as it's like using a sledge hammer to cure a symptom - instead of healing the disease you swallow pain killer.
I also found that some VST3 instruments don't seem to react to CC123, which is a bummer. (some do, so I don't think that is Reaper's fault).

I very rarely have hanging notes, so I'd assume it is either some glitch in your MIDI data, or your instrument isn't behaving as it should. Did you already try using a different instrument?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:43 AM   #13
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I also found that some VST3 instruments don't seem to react to CC123, which is a bummer. (some do, so I don't think that is Reaper's fault).

Just tried with VSTi3 Helm -that have serious hanging notes in Reaper- and I didn't encounter a single stuck notes with Bandlab Cakewalk.

Last edited by STOP; 04-28-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #14
gofer
-blänk-

I don’t have any instrument that hang notes just like so, so I can’t test for that. What I meant to say is that some of my VST3 will not react to CC 123 properly by stopping current notes, not that VST3 hang notes.
I didn’t wait for hanging notes but created an item with long notes and sent the all notes off command to the synth. Worked for eg Pluginguru’s Unify, but not for eg Pianoteq 6 VST3. The VST2 version works proper. Tested both, CC123 and Reaper’s All Notes Off Action (F3) and as expected it made no difference.

Because some VST3 do react proper there must be a difference between how those plugins handle the events.

Edit: when I got some spare time I’ll test whether CC123 works with Pianoteq VST3 in other hosts.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote