Old 04-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Jimmy Street
Human being with feelings

Default Stuck MIDI notes

I'm using SonikSynth and Sample Tank (Ver2) and getting random stuck notes all of the time.
If I press F3 of course it sends an all-note-off message but obviously when I render a mix I can't do that. (Besides, why should I have to?)

Solutions anyone?

What I'd like to do is enter F3 on the problem MIDI track every bar. (A pain but it would solve the problem). Is there a way to do that? Help if you know.

I also found I could relieve the stuck note by going into Sonik Synth and changing it back and forth from Poly to Mono. Still a painful "fix".

Thanks!
Jimmy Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:12 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

You cannot see or insert CC 123 (which is what "Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins" sends) using Reaper's piano roll editor. They decided to hide all CC above 119.
But in the Event List editor you can. Albeit it's pretty tedious, especially setting the position in time I find unnecessarily clumsy. But here is how:

- In the event list, either hit the insert key on your keyboard, or right-click -> Insert new event
- In the dialog, type in the position, set Type to "Control Change" and Controller to "123 All Notes off". You can probably leave Value at 127, but can try 0 if that doesn't work.
Channel needs to be the same channel that your offending notes are on. F3 does brute force by sending that message on all 16 channels.

I'd hate to insert that message every bar, so you might try to create an individual MIDI item with length of 1 bar and loop enabled, insert your CC123 at the start of that item and put it on the same track as the other items driving the offending synth. All items on that track would need to be set to "Always mix" in the Item Properties Mix Behavior setting.

I tried the above and it effectively silenced my instrument at every loop iteration.
But I found that it seems to be impossible to insert a CC123 into an empty MIDI item... (it looks as if there is already one, but that is Reaper's way to mark a MIDI item's end position and doesn't work for your purpose). So as a workaround I inserted a note event and in a second step changed that note to a CC123 in the event properties. Phew...
You can save that "panic item" either to a MIDI file or put it into a Project Bay collection to keep it around for the next problem project.

This isn't really what you should (have to) do, as it's like using a sledge hammer to cure a symptom - instead of healing the disease you swallow pain killer.
I also found that some VST3 instruments don't seem to react to CC123, which is a bummer. (some do, so I don't think that is Reaper's fault).

I very rarely have hanging notes, so I'd assume it is either some glitch in your MIDI data, or your instrument isn't behaving as it should. Did you already try using a different instrument?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
RobertP

Somebody here suggested putting ReaControl(Midi) on the fx chain before anything else.
Seemed to work for some

suleiman: "WTF r u ppl on abt ?"
RobertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Somebody here suggested putting ReaControl(Midi) on the fx chain before anything else.
Seemed to work for some
This would be so curious a fix that if it works it must yield some pointer to the root of the issue. I read that as well, but only from a single person without any confirmation by others.
Can’t hurt. Try it and let us know, OP.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
fakemaxwell

I've been getting a lot more stuck notes recently and I can't really lock down why. On all sorts of different VSTis. The "send all notes off" action doesn't work either, the only thing that does is unloading the plugin, or if the plugin itself has a panic button.

I'll try adding ReaControl next time it happens. Would indeed be curious if it works but hey, open to all fixes.
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
stillshaded

I get a lot of stuck notes in Reaper as well. One of the only things that really bugs me about Reaper in general. Haven't been able to figure out a solution at all.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
fakemaxwell

So I popped in ReaControlMidi to a bunch of VSTi tracks. Preliminary results- the tracks that are affected by the "all notes off" midi action (ie, fixes a stuck note) still seem to get stuck.

Tracks that are NOT affected by "all notes off" have, so far, seemed to be fixed by placing ReaControlMidi in front of the VSTi. I've haven't spent a super long time in the sessions so I'll update if it holds true or falls apart.

I'm also not sure why some VSTis don't work with "all notes off." Zebra2 and any of the Audio Modeling instruments so far continue to be stuck even after triggering all notes off. The Audio Modeling stuff has its own panic button that works, but for Zebra2 you have to unload the plugin to fix.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
fakemaxwell

Attached here is ReaControlMIDI in action. This is a Kontakt Instrument I always get stuck notes on. You can see the stuck note still going in the meter, and then the second playthrough with ReaControlMIDI enabled it doesn't stick. All I did was insert the plugin, nothing was changed inside RCM.

I also tried the SWS toggle action "send all notes off on stop/play" and that didn't do anything. Actually sending "all notes off" will work with this particular instrument.

Would be wonderful to get this looked at, in the past few versions it feels like the amount of time dealing with stuck notes has skyrocketed.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

“Tracks that are not affected by all notes off”, are that tracks which drive a VST3i, by chance?
That has been fixed in the latest pre-release version. Do you have non-VST3 instruments which don’t react to all notes off?

Is your screen capture implying that you just stop playback and that causes Kontakt to hang the note? That’s even weirder than RCM fixing it. I don’t really suppose it helps, but did you check whether removing the bypassed VST3i changes things?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
fakemaxwell

Ah okay, yes I think all of the "not accepting note-off" plugins are VST3.

This one, however, is VST2.

Loaded a blank project just to demonstrate. Yes just stopping playback will cause the note to hang, and adding ReaControlMIDI in front of the plugin will fix it. I will note that it's not every Kontakt instrument that does this, which is of course helpful for bug testing.