Old 05-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Anartiste
Human being with feelings

Default No sound coming out of Reaper (Mac OS version)

Hello everybody,

I just acquired a copy of Reaper and from what I've seen on the tutorial videos and my personal exploration of the different functionalities, it's a fantastic program, well thought, very powerful and — last but not least — elegant.

Unfortunately, I just can't get any sound out of it. The meters (in and out) respond to the signals, whether I'm recording a sound or playing it back, but there's no sound.

I tried to tweak the audio preferences in every possible configuration, be it in Reaper, Audio Midi Configuration or the audio System Preferences… Nothing has changed whatsoever: Reaper remains desperately silent.

In order to not saturate this forum with an obvious question, I've watched as many tutorials as possible and scanned the Internet in search for a hint, but although that bug seems to be a classic, I couldn't find a troubleshoot that changed my poor condition.

My Mac is a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.14 with 8GB of RAM, functioning decently well. My audio interface is a brand new Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Mark III that works perfectly for everything else, including ProTools First and Reason.

I'm very frustrated as the software itself is absolutely fabulous… if it could fulfil its primary task: emitting audio.

Is there anyone to save me from having to work on ProTools? If God exists, it's the perfect moment to prove it so…

Thank you

PS: I think this is an important detail…

I just turned on the metronome, set on "Use all project master outs", and I heard it!

So I guess it eliminates quite a few suspects in the case — even though I still can't get any sound during recording or playback…
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-eric.pdf (53.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf 2-eric.pdf (50.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf 3-eric.pdf (46.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf 4-eric.pdf (44.9 KB, 30 views)
Anartiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Beat Machine

Default sry dude

you won joker lottery

reaper is 99% stable
1% whatt** F** but its too hard to pinpoint

this is like a reinstall or newcomp or or new everything its way ways faster
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
serr

Re: 2nd pic
I see you have sample rate control and block size control disabled from Reaper (boxes unticked). That means you would need to control these parameters from another app or control panel app.

First choice should be control from Reaper (tick the box to enable and enter the value of choice). Did you try that first?

FYI, core audio will just cut the connection to an app if it's set for a different sample rate than the connected active audio interface.

If you were trying control from elsewhere intentionally, try setting the sample rate for the Scarlet in Audio MIDI Setup.

PS Ignore the child with the phone posts! Not sure what's up with that around here.

Yeah, looking at 3,4 it looks like you're also using the interface for your system audio. One of your audio using apps (browser, media player, etc) is sending a request for a different sample rate than your Reaper preference is set to. Reaper is disabled from taking over with the box unticked. So... it just sits there silently.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
Anartiste

Default Thanks guys…

Thank you for your quick replies. Unfortunately…

I've already tried to use the Scarlett interface ONLY with Reaper: didn't work

I've already tried to erase and reinstall from scratch: didn't work either

I've already checked the sample rate so that it was the same on Reaper and the OS: didn't work either

And once again, the meters respond absolutely well (record, playback and master)

My guess is that there's a problem with the output from the Master as I can hear the click perfectly well, but I couldn't find anything wrong with my patching process (see pic attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran 2020-05-14 à 22.13.25.jpg (50.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
shanabit

Getting audio from Reaper is nothing more than selecting the Audio Device.

Make sure your boxes look like so here in this pic.

Remember to check your monitoring on the track as well.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (57.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Anartiste

Thanks for the advice shanabit. I tried your trick (see pic enclosed), but still no audio out. I even tried to render the track in WAV 48kHz/24bit format and included it into the sequence: meters respond (track and master) but silence still reigns.

Also checked that the Security and Confidentiality preference pane was authorizing Reaper — it was — and even tried to uncheck all the other apps, but it didn't change anything.

I keep thinking there's something very weird here as I CAN HEAR THE METRONOME in the Scarlett's audio out, which seems illogical as Reaper generates it…

I'm getting crazy here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture d’écran 2020-05-15 à 00.04.34.jpg (50.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anartiste View Post
I CAN HEAR THE METRONOME in the Scarlett's audio out
Missed that bit before, sorry!

You must have a routing error then in your busing on the mixing board.
I didn't see a clue in any of the screen shots... Maybe upload your .rpp project file?

I suspect your tracks aren't routed to your mix bus or you have the hardware output selected incorrectly on the master (that last guess would add up if the track with the click inserted was routed directly to your hardware output).

The business where you have to repeatedly try reinstalling with Windows doesn't happen with OSX. At least I've never seen it! And I question that with Windows too. (ie It's probably something else and the reinstall was a red herring.)

But just to be clear, you selected the Scarlet in Preferences/Audio/Device, ticked the box next to 'sample rate' and entered your desired choice? The project is set to the same sample rate?

Also try this:
Don't connect your system built-in input and output to your interface in Audio MIDI Setup.
Just connect Reaper to the Scarlet and control it from Reaper.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
Anartiste

serr, I've tried everything you said, and much more, in a systematic way. Nothing changes.

I even downloaded a sample project that gave the same result: all the meters (tracks, busses and master) moving okay, record working okay (I even get sound files that I can listen to via the Finder). But no audio whatsoever except for this damned metronome I can always hear when I turn it on, no matter which audio interface I choose, no matter which bit depth or bandwidth frequency I set the audio on, no matter anything! It's always the same result.

I've tried Pro Tools First, Ableton Live, Harrison Mixbus 32X, Garage Band, Internet browsers, the Finder, Quicktime, VLC, Tidal, you name it, and everything works like a charm on the Scarlett at the moment I open the apps, on a new project or on an existing one.

I just can't believe that such a sophisticated and user friendly application like Reaper needs some extravagant setting just to emit audio. We're in 2020 for God sake! Everything is plug and play nowadays…

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to load Reaper on another Mac. I'll try that tomorrow, but for the moment, I'm breaking my head on a wall.

Has anyone ever experienced or heard of such a case? I so, I'll be happy to read how they ever solved that riddle.

Thank you all for your help

Last edited by Anartiste; 05-15-2020 at 01:49 AM.