Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
shinobi
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Virus ti

Can someone help me install Virus Ti in Reaper PLEASEE!
shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
shinobi

Isn't really anyone here using Virus Ti with Reaper?
shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
Can someone help me install Virus Ti in Reaper PLEASEE!
I use Virus Indigo 2 but there are a couple of threads that might be useful for you, here are some.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=9870

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=9054

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=7889

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=7287

cheers,
boka
Old 04-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
boka

Default question

see next one.

Last edited by boka; 04-18-2010 at 11:51 PM.
boka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
boka

Default Question

Let me put it this way...

In Reaper the selected audio device is RME Asio. I can play with my fancy new TI Polar record...everything. If I open the Total Control VST I can tweak the parameters but the sound goes to the computer through USB.

BUMP!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by boka View Post
Let me put it this way...

In Reaper the selected audio device is RME Asio. I can play with my fancy new TI Polar record...everything. If I open the Total Control VST I can tweak the parameters but the sound goes to the computer through USB.

BUMP!
Okay... I guess I've found something that could lead to the solution of my problem. There is an app called savihost. It's a very simple application; the only thing it does is to run a VST plugin (dll file). As Access doesn't provide a standalone editor, running the vst through this app it's gonna be the fake-standalone.

In Reaper I use RME asio. In savihost both audio and midi have to be set up. I chose the Virus ASIO in savihost (logically..) and the Emagic AMT8 midi to communicate with. Plugin is loading, finds the hardware and it goes to SEQ mode. There is no f... audio coming out of the analog and the s/pdif output either in this SEQ mode. Moreover, If i play the keyboard in this mode there is no sound, no trigger. This way savihost works definitely sounds good but I want to record the audio from either the analog or s/pdif and to be able to use the keyboard while using the VST to control/manage the parameters.

Any ideas?

thx
Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
boka

Default bump

bump! Any TI Users out there?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
boreg

Would love to help a fellow Virus user ))

Basically, the Virus Control (VC) plugin functions like any VST instrument.
After you put it on a track, you need to enable monitoring on that track to hear plugin's output. IIRC you should not use the Virus' Analog/SPDIF outputs when using VC, because the audio will be out of sync. It's either MIDI + Analog/SPDIF audio (no VC), or VC + USB audio.

You also need to route MIDI to the plugin, so you can play it. In the FX window for the VC track, select the option "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing for the selected FX" (not sure the wording is exact as I don't have Reaper in front of me). This will create 16 tracks, sending MIDI to channels 1-16 of the VC plugin. To play part 1 on the Virus, enable monitoring on MIDI track 1 and click it's "record" button, etc. You'll probably encounter awful latency - open the VC plugin and click the "Live" button at the bottom left, it reduces the latency to a playable level ))

Note that the VC plugin has 3 stereo outputs; what you hear on the VC track is the first output (USB1+2). For the second output, create another track, monitor enable it and add a send from VC Audio3/4 to it; ditto for the third.

I'm too lazy to make screenshots right now, but can do so if you want.
Hope this helps!

P.S. Did you try the official Virus TI forum? I've seen at least one more Reaper user there
boreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
Would love to help a fellow Virus user ))

Basically, the Virus Control (VC) plugin functions like any VST instrument.
After you put it on a track, you need to enable monitoring on that track to hear plugin's output. IIRC you should not use the Virus' Analog/SPDIF outputs when using VC, because the audio will be out of sync. It's either MIDI + Analog/SPDIF audio (no VC), or VC + USB audio.

You also need to route MIDI to the plugin, so you can play it. In the FX window for the VC track, select the option "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing for the selected FX" (not sure the wording is exact as I don't have Reaper in front of me). This will create 16 tracks, sending MIDI to channels 1-16 of the VC plugin. To play part 1 on the Virus, enable monitoring on MIDI track 1 and click it's "record" button, etc. You'll probably encounter awful latency - open the VC plugin and click the "Live" button at the bottom left, it reduces the latency to a playable level ))

Note that the VC plugin has 3 stereo outputs; what you hear on the VC track is the first output (USB1+2). For the second output, create another track, monitor enable it and add a send from VC Audio3/4 to it; ditto for the third.

I'm too lazy to make screenshots right now, but can do so if you want.
Hope this helps!

P.S. Did you try the official Virus TI forum? I've seen at least one more Reaper user there

At last someone! Hello Boreg, thanks for the information! The thing is that Reaper doesn't support multiple ASIO devices at the same time (afaik) so to use the VC I'd have to use the Virus ASIO.[am I right?] However, I'd like to stay using my RME Multiface II because the pre-amp and all the other FXs, synths are pluggined into it. Is there any solution for this?

I saw that forum as well as the unofficial one but I'd rather keep posting to this forum even if it takes time to find someone who I can talk to

cheers

-----------------------------------------
edited:

I found a topic that Dstruct had started in the past.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=2495

Unfortunately, I'm not at my audio pc but wondering if it is possible to have two project tabs or two instances of reaper running with different preferences. So the first would use my RME Asio and the other the TI Asio to enjoy the benefits of total integration. Theoretically it sounds good. How about in real? Any opinions?

And the question is whether the TI would go back to single/multi mode from SEQ mode when changing back to the instance that uses the RME and audio comes out of spdif...

lots of question marks.

Today If I have chance I'll give it a shot and post my experiences.

Last edited by boka; 04-26-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: found a topic related to my ideas
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
boreg

Quote:
The thing is that Reaper doesn't support multiple ASIO devices at the same time (afaik) so to use the VC I'd have to use the Virus ASIO.[am I right?]
I think you're wrong here. You need Virus ASIO only if you're using the Virus as a sound card, which is not the case (I don't do it either).
When you use VC, audio is sent from the Virus hardware to the plugin over USB, and plugin's output is routed to your audio device according to your preferences (and the routing you've set up in Reaper).

Have you watched the tutorial videos for setting up Total Integration? There's none specifically for Reaper, but maybe it will help you understand what's going on.

Quote:
And the question is whether the TI would go back to single/multi mode from SEQ mode when changing back to the instance that uses the RME and audio comes out of spdif...
Never tried it, but I think it should - and even if it won't, you can switch the mode manually on the hardware.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
boka

Quote:
When you use VC, audio is sent from the Virus hardware to the plugin over USB, and plugin's output is routed to your audio device according to your preferences (and the routing you've set up in Reaper).
Hello boreg! I'm not sure I understand. Can you write how your system is set up?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
boreg

I pretty much described my setup in the first reply. Maybe I didn't explain it well... will try to make some screenshots tonight.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
boka

Quote:
I pretty much described my setup in the first reply. Maybe I didn't explain it well... will try to make some screenshots tonight.
Thanks, boreg! I really appreciate that you are so helpful.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
boreg

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a moving picture is better yet
I made a short movie showing the instantiation of Virus Control plugin in Reaper:
Virus_TI_in_Reaper
I don't have a microphone, but it should be pretty clear what I'm doing.

Note that I was mistaken in my first post: you do not need to enable monitoring on the VC track. You do need to record- and monitor- enable those MIDI tracks that you wish to play from keyboard. It is possible to play several parts simultaneously, as can be seen in the video. You can also see that turning on Live mode reduces plugin's latency from 3456 to 512 samples.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
boka

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, but a moving picture is better yet
I made a short movie showing the instantiation of Virus Control plugin in Reaper:
Virus_TI_in_Reaper
I don't have a microphone, but it should be pretty clear what I'm doing.
I'll take a look at it in the evening when I get home!

Thanks very much!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
boka

Boreg,

I checked your video but then I think I didn't explain my issue correctly

This is how I use my TI at the moment.

No plugin, just the spif output.

This is my prefs.

Currently the TI midi stuffs are disabled because I don't use it... I certainly will if I manage to set up my system
Referring back to one of your posts above (pasted below ) Could you please post your prefs? I mean the audio and which of the 2 TI midi devices has to be enabled?

Quote:
I think you're wrong here. You need Virus ASIO only if you're using the Virus as a sound card, which is not the case (I don't do it either).
Thanks very much!

ps: if I open up the Virus Control plugin, the keyboard on my Polar is still disabled for some reason, cannot use it as a midi keyboard...

Last edited by boka; 04-28-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
boka

Default bump...

bump....
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #18
boreg

Oops, sorry boka, somehow missed your reply ))

I'll take a screenshot of my prefs when I get home tonight.
Can't really help you with MIDI stuff, since I'm using a Virus TI Desktop with a controller keyboard (Novation Remote SL).
Anyway, I still can't figure out - are you using the Virus Control plugin or not?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
boka

Quote:
Oops, sorry boka, somehow missed your reply ))

I'll take a screenshot of my prefs when I get home tonight.
Can't really help you with MIDI stuff, since I'm using a Virus TI Desktop with a controller keyboard (Novation Remote SL).
Anyway, I still can't figure out - are you using the Virus Control plugin or not?

Ooooo..... I'm not using it. For me, Virus TI is a synth not a sound card. I'm not going to use the plugin until it allows me to both play the keyboard and record the sound over my RME I've contacted Access Music several times but all they say is that they are sorry but reaper is not supported. Here comes the F word.

Thanks boreg in advance!

Dev guys: Any likelihood that these kinds of popular devices (including UAD cards) get the approval to be officially supported? What is the gap?

Last edited by boka; 05-07-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
boreg

Attached is a screenshot of my audio preferences, but it's nothing interesting really )) As for MIDI, I'm using a desktop Virus and a separate keyboard controller (Novation Remote SL), so can't help you here.

In one of your earlier posts you wrote:
Quote:
If I open the Total Control VST I can tweak the parameters but the sound goes to the computer through USB.
That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You also have the option of sending any part to analog outputs instead of USB (see the second screenshot).

Anyway, if you're not using VC, you should connect the output(s) of the Virus to the input(s) of your soundcard, just like any old synth.

Regardless of whether you use VC or not, you do not need to use the Virus as a soundcard (in other words, you do not need the "Virus ASIO" device in Reaper)
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper-prefs.png (14.0 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg reaper-ti-output.jpg (62.3 KB, 675 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
boka

Hello boreg,

Thanks very much for posting your prefs.

It seems that there is no difference between our audio device setup.

Quote:
...As for MIDI, I'm using a desktop Virus and a separate keyboard controller (Novation Remote SL), so can't help you here.
No problem... MIDI is going to be the next thing after I've managed to set up my system.

Quote:
That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You also have the option of sending any part to analog outputs instead of USB (see the second screenshot).
The thing is I don't remember seeing those outputs displayed in that drop down list. So your M-Audio is the default ASIO device, you're using the VC and audio can come out of the analog outputs? That's exactly what I've been wanting to achieve....

Quote:
Regardless of whether you use VC or not, you do not need to use the Virus as a soundcard (in other words, you do not need the "Virus ASIO" device in Reaper)
Yes, I understand that.

so... again. Just want to use my Virus as both a synth and a midi keyboard, recording its sound over either analog or spdif (I'd prefer the latter one) and control/manage the parameters over the VST at the same time. I'll continue experimenting with different settings...I'm not giving it up as I spent 1800$ on my Ti Polar :-/ and want to use my synth the way I used my Indigo 2 and also utilize the features VC gives.

Last edited by boka; 05-12-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #22
boka

bump...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
boreg

Boka, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve, so let me just reiterate some key points:
- When using Virus Control, you can route any Virus part to any output - that is, USB 1-3, Analog 1-3, S/PDIF (which always mirrors Analog 1). See attached screenshot for the place where you set it.
- MIDI however is completely disabled when using VC. That is, any MIDI data you want the Virus to play has to be sent to the VC plugin from Reaper, rather than by MIDI cable into the synth itself.
- Attached is a basic Reaper project with 16 MIDI tracks routed to VC, and 3 audio tracks receiving Virus outputs USB1-3. I'm not sure this is the best configuration, but it works for me.
- Besides, it may be worth watching the available tutorial videos. While there's none specifically for Reaper, maybe they'll help you understand what's going on.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virus_output.jpg (53.8 KB, 603 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rpp virus template.RPP (35.5 KB, 589 views)
Old 07-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
boka

boreg,

I tried to load the project you uploaded - Ti works as it supposed to be. however, as soon as I want to play the audio I get annoying stuttering sound. (RME is chosen in the prefs)

Quote:
Boka, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve, so let me just reiterate some key points:
- When using Virus Control, you can route any Virus part to any output - that is, USB 1-3, Analog 1-3, S/PDIF (which always mirrors Analog 1). See attached screenshot for the place where you set it.
- MIDI however is completely disabled when using VC. That is, any MIDI data you want the Virus to play has to be sent to the VC plugin from Reaper, rather than by MIDI cable into the synth itself.
- Attached is a basic Reaper project with 16 MIDI tracks routed to VC, and 3 audio tracks receiving Virus outputs USB1-3. I'm not sure this is the best configuration, but it works for me.
- Besides, it may be worth watching the available tutorial videos. While there's none specifically for Reaper, maybe they'll help you understand what's going on.

Hope this helps
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #25
boreg

What exactly do you mean by "playing the audio"?
Do you get stuttering sound when playing your Virus live? Or when playing back recorded MIDI notes?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #26
boka

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "playing the audio"?
Do you get stuttering sound when playing your Virus live? Or when playing back recorded MIDI notes?
Hello boreg! by playing audio I mean that I loaded your template project, Virus Control plugin works -> in the prefs my RME is chosen. I pulled a wav file into a track and hit space to start the playback and I got stuttering sound, crackles..whatever its name is Obviously, the ASIO playback goes through the RME but then I'm just unable to understand why it won't work flawlessly when the virus plugin is active...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #27
boreg

I see, so the audio in fact is not coming from the Virus at all? And when you remove the Virus plugin, it's OK? In this case, I'd check the following:

- What is the buffer size (in RME settings)? Try increasing it to e.g. 256 or 512 samples and see if it helps.

- Is the Virus connected to a MIDI hub? Is the USB port shared with other high-bandwidth devices (like a hard disk)? These conditions can lead to symptoms you describe - Virus TI needs a USB port of its own/

If none of the above helps, I suggest installing the demo of Ableton Live and setting up your Virus in it. If the problems persist, contact Access support (Ableton is officially supported host).

best luck!
Boris.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #28
boka

Quote:
I see, so the audio in fact is not coming from the Virus at all? And when you remove the Virus plugin, it's OK?
That's correct!

Quote:
- What is the buffer size (in RME settings)? Try increasing it to e.g. 256 or 512 samples and see if it helps.
The latency is set to 20ms. This has been the best setting for me to have the UAD working properly. Thanks for the suggestion I'll try to increase it!

Quote:
- Is the Virus connected to a MIDI hub? Is the USB port shared with other high-bandwidth devices (like a hard disk)? These conditions can lead to symptoms you describe - Virus TI needs a USB port of its own/
That's true. So basically when I try to make this work the Virus is still connected to my Emagic AMT8 midi interface. Could it be a problem? :O
The USB cable directly goes to my PC so it is not connected to my computer thru my usb hub.

Quote:

If none of the above helps, I suggest installing the demo of Ableton Live and setting up your Virus in it. If the problems persist, contact Access support (Ableton is officially supported host).
Okay...

Thanks for the suggestions, boreg! I'll get back to you when I have updates.

questions: based on the snapshot you posted you can use the virus w/ the plugin while the audio (master output of reaper mixer) goes out thru your soundcard? In the VC settings drop down menu where you select the outputs ( USB x, analog... shouldn't there be spdif too?

Thx

/boka
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #29
boreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg
- Is the Virus connected to a MIDI hub?
My bad boka, I meant USB hub! Anyway, MIDI is disabled when using VC, so there should be no problem with Virus being connected to MIDI interface.

Quote:
The USB cable directly goes to my PC so it is not connected to my computer thru my usb hub.
All right then

Quote:
questions: based on the snapshot you posted you can use the virus w/ the plugin while the audio (master output of reaper mixer) goes out thru your soundcard?
Yes you can.

Quote:
In the VC settings drop down menu where you select the outputs ( USB x, analog... shouldn't there be spdif too?
No, because the S/PDIF output mirrors main out 1; whatever you send to main out 1 is also sent to S/PDIF.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #30
boka

boreg, thanks!

Imagine, I partly solved the problem I cannot tell you how much I'm happy about it. I'll post what I've done so far. In the meantime, I will set everything back to my default setting and try to redo if this phenomenon, that it works the way I've been wanting, exists!!! Just had a beer, I'm going for the 2nd...
Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #31
boka

So I was experimenting and what I did is that I disabled the Virus TI ASIO as a sound device in the device manager. In Reaper I disabled Virus MIDI (midi device) and set enable Virus Synth (midi device). I opened up the Total Control and set virus synth as a midi input. Basically it works now, I can hear the sound from my RME while the plugin is open and I play the keyboard but the latency is roughly 1 sec. I was playing with the RME Asio buffer settings but no success yet.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
boreg

Glad you got it working Boka!

I'm curious, how much latency do you get? If you hover the mouse over the FX button in TCP (track control panel), a tooltip appears showing "PDC" and a number - this is plugin's latency, in samples. As you can see in the attached screenshots, I'm getting latency of 4608 samples, which is more than 100ms (@44100) - absolutely unusable for any kind of live playing. Engaging LIVE mode in the plugin reduces latency to 1024 samples - still quite high, but at least somewhat usable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virus pdc.jpg (8.8 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg virus pdc live.jpg (9.7 KB, 491 views)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #33
boka

Thanks boreg, you always share good tips :-)

I'll take a look at it tonight...

regards,

boka

Quote:
Glad you got it working Boka!

I'm curious, how much latency do you get? If you hover the mouse over the FX button in TCP (track control panel), a tooltip appears showing "PDC" and a number - this is plugin's latency, in samples. As you can see in the attached screenshots, I'm getting latency of 4608 samples, which is more than 100ms (@44100) - absolutely unusable for any kind of live playing. Engaging LIVE mode in the plugin reduces latency to 1024 samples - still quite high, but at least somewhat usable.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
boka

I've just checked it...wooooooooow!!!!

RME Asio : 512 (12ms)
Live mode off : 4352
Live mode on : 768

RME Asio : 256 (6ms)
Live mode off : 4608
Live mode on : 1024

// same here

I'll see which of them works better when the project is full with samples, VSTs including UAD.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #35
lordradish

I know this thread is ancient, but I'm still having problems setting up Virus in Reaper. I really just don't understand the routing. The template provided, above works, but the problem is, it routes everything to the created USB1 track, and none to the created USB2 or USB3 track. I'm sure it's something I just need to change in some routing somewhere, but I'm not sure what to do. Anyone help? Thanks.
lordradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #36
Germps112

overcomplicated daw, and its gonna be more complicaed more to add i think for electronic music its not clever choice.. Try Live!
Germps112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #37
SmajjL

SmajjL, sit!! good boy... puh

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-27-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Tries meditation... ooouuuuuoooyyyuuooo:)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #38
Germps112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
SmajjL, sit!! good boy... puh
Go and meditate.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #39
ivansc

On the other hand, I am wondering why, in view of all your determinedly negative posts about Reaper, you are still here, stirring the pot and adding nothing useful to the discussions.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #40
Germps112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
On the other hand, I am wondering why, in view of all your determinedly negative posts about Reaper, you are still here, stirring the pot and adding nothing useful to the discussions.
Negative? Its only how u see things, u but the meaning to them, no one else is giving the meaning . I dont say any bad things about reaper, learning still. And i ask questions what is missing, iam not a fanboy on any tools (daw) but i just like to ask. Maybe i sound like person who complains, no way. I am friendly actually.. I might seem like brick