Old 08-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
freehand
Human being with feelings

Default Live Jamming Setup

I'm trying to create a template for live jamming on a portable setup with a midi controller.

I'd like to be able to switch quickly and easily between instrument/fx chains, effectively selecting between "patches", if you think of the whole Reaper project as a single instrument.

In other words, I want to (without fussing with a mouse or track pad in a dark place, possibly subject to the elements and distractions)

1. Disable whatever is currently record armed, and remove its UI from screen.

2. Select desired instrument, arm it for record and bring up its UI

The Actions system *almost* has this working. I've made the number keys into global hotkeys which do the following, using the hotkey "1" as an example:

Track: Open/close UI for FX1 on last touched track // close instrument
Track: Toggle record arm for selected track // unplug MIDI from it
Track: Select track 01 // select desired instrument
Track: Open close UI for FX1 on last touched track // open UI
Track: Toggle record arm for selected track // send MIDI control to it

There are a few problems with this setup.

For one, some of these actions are absolute or literal references, and others are relative to previous actions. This means I need to start the project by selecting a certain track, opening its UI, and arming it. Since I want to be able to select any instrument with a single keystroke, having all absolute references would be best.

The other problem may just be a consequence of the first - it doesn't always seem to work! The starting track always remains open, and it seems generally glitchy - sometimes it just fails to bring up the track I want. I have triple checked that all Actions for each hotkey are consistent.

I'm not sure if this is a bug report (I doubt it because Reaper seems to be bulletproof) or simply a request for any ideas on how to do this better.

Any insight or tips are appreciated. Thank you!
freehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Welcome to the Reaper forums.

Take a look at the sticky thread in the "Live subforum. Many of your issues supposedly are mentioned there.

You might want to ask dedicated questions in that forum.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote