Old 10-13-2020, 01:32 AM   #1
axe2494
Human being with feelings

Default TouchOSC ACTION programming

Hello,

After many hours of reading (mostly here on this forum) I'm eventually able to control REAPER with TouchOSC via an iPad.

I'm using an horizontal adaptation of the LOGICTOUCH Layout that I've made from the original vertical one.

It looks like on the attached picture (for the track panel only).

Now I'm thinking one step further and I'd like to do two things. After reading the Default.ReaperOSC I'm not sure how to achieve these.

1/ I'd like to create a layout that makes it possible to control, say, pan and volume OF AN ITEM not of a track !!!

2/ Create buttons to replace keyboard shortcuts (like a Stream Deck in a way) : how to assign a short cut to a button in TouchOSC ???

Any ideas would be really welcome !

Kind regards,

Alexandre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2128.JPG (41.3 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by axe2494; 10-14-2020 at 02:01 AM.
axe2494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:00 AM   #2
axe2494

Hello,

I'm reacting to my own post !!!

So I've found in the Default.ReaperOSC about ACTION, this :

# Example: ACTION i/action t/action/@
# The device sends /action 40757 or /action/40757 to trigger the REAPER action
# "split items at edit cursor". See the REAPER actions window for a complete list
# of action command ID numbers.

And then I've tried to make a layout with a simple button for ACTION : solo track which ID command is 40728.

It looks like on the image below but it is not working, when I press the button in touchosc it doesn't solo the selected track !

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance for yr possible interest in this issue.

Kind regards,

AB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.JPG (36.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
axe2494

Hello,

I’m not too sure why this post and questions about TouchOSC and actions in REAPER are not getting any reaction or answers.

Is it because it is so simple that I should be able to find the answer by myself or is it because it’s out of fashion maybe or not interesting ?

Anyway, so far it kept me searching but really I’m stuck between modifying the .reaperosc file and the lines in the TouchOSC editor.

I copied the line ACTION from the default.reaperosc and wrote informations as advised there in the TouchOSC editor to try and create a simple push button with the corresponding command ID found in the REAPER ACTIONS menu. And I can not get it to work.

Yesterday what I did even seemed to confuse REAPER so that for a while when I was pressing « space » on the keyboard nothing was happening anymore !!!

Well, anybody has done this successfully maybe have something to propose ?

Kind regards,

Alex
Old 10-15-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
axe2494

Hello,

I'm very proud to announce that I'VE SUCCEEDED ! I've managed to eventually create some buttons with assigned ACTIONS in TouchOSC !!!

Hourahhh !

Somehow, because no one replied it really helped me pushing, searching and one post from very very long ago in the forum finally helped me in finding what I was doing wrong !!!

BUT NOW : I'm having problems with custom made actions !!! For example I have created a custom action for "go back to beginning of the track and play" which command ID is _1291aa94

So I've created a button in the same way I did for say SOLO 40281 but it is not working with this _1291aa94 !!!

Even worth, it seems to be constantly triggering something in OSC because the little RED light in the corner keeps flashing !!!

Now I suppose I have to go for some new search and probably I'll find something !!!

Pffff... its difficult !!! But its fun somehow !!!

Best wishes,

Alex
Old 10-16-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
axe2494

Ok so now for example, I am stuck also with this type of COMMAND :

_S&M_TOGLFXCHAIN

I do not find which line to add for ACTION in the .reaperosc file !!

I've put :

ACTION i/action t/action/@ s/action/str_SWSSETREPEAT

Doesn't work !!!

Aaaaaaah !!!

Alex
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #6
BenjyO

I presume you would get more answers if you posted this thread in the “ MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC” subforum but that’s no guarantee. With this topic at least you have to dig up a lot of it on your own. That’s what I had to do.

To help with your last question:

Try setting this in TouchOSC editor:

/action/_S&M_TOGLFXCHAIN

It’s without “str” and will work only with Reaper 6.13 or later. Before 6.13 it was not possible to trigger SWS actions, custom actions or scripts with TouchOSC because of TouchOSC’s own limitations. It only sends floating point numbers as arguments and it can’t send strings/text. Someone pointed that out and the developers kindly made a workaround - including the custom actions’s ID in the OSC path.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #7
BenjyO

Oh and I believe it’s not yet possible to directly control items’ pan, volume or other parameters with OSC. 3 possible workarounds exist (that I know of) but I think all of them will utilite Reaper’s actions:

1. You could find actions or scripts in your action list which do control these parameters and then assign their ID’s to your TouchOSC controls.
2. You can assign an OSC message (anything you’ve written in TouchOSC editor for that control) to an action in the action list the same way you assign keyboard shortcuts. This is of course similar to the first suggestion.
3. Use ReaLearn (a VST by Helgoboss) which operates via MIDI but you can of course assign MIDI to TouchOSC’s controls in the editor and work from there.
BenjyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
axe2494

Hello,

Thanks Benjy for your comments, I will be checking everything carefully what you suggested.

I'm realizing I was still for some reasons on version 6.08. I will upgrade so that I can benefit from triggering SWS action with OSC. That's already great !

It will in fact probably sort out the problems I'm facing.

Kind regards,

Alex

PS : I did also post in the MIDI forum after a few days getting answers here but had no much success. But somehow I thing sometimes I, we, tend to take it too easy with a forum, just asking questions without sometimes searching enough, so somehow I appreciate this attitude, its like pushing us to be active rather than just waiting for easy and quick answers. But still at some point I was really wondering if there was something wrong with my request.