Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Transfer - Use other Softwares to edit MIDI to Reaper!

This script enable transfer automatic to reaper, in my view making the other software more or less an MIDI editor for reaper!!

How it work?
Every time you export MID from the other software it will get updated and organized (in the tracks you assign each channel) in REAPER. It is really good for softwares that afford different workflows but are good to use with an DAW, like Notation Editors (Musescore, Sibelius, Dorico. Finale….) or softwares like PureData, MAX/MSP etc etc etc...

Image of me using Musescore to edit some MIDI in Reaper:

Video

Installation

1) To install MIDI Transfer you will need
*REAPER 6 +
*SWS http://www.sws-extension.org/
*ReaPack https://reapack.com/
*JS extension https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212174

2) Import my repository to ReaPack Link:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/da...JMdbYwLi9eFOno

3) Browse for MIDI Transfer in the ReaPack and Install it.

Manual on how to use it !
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I will do an video about it soon
Please comment Bugs and FR!!!

Thanks to Amagalma and Lokasenna (The GUI lib is from Lokasenna and the Text Editor is an mod from Amagalma used in his chunk viewer ) Thanks to people on discord (Robert, Stevie Birdbird etc ... ) for the talks. And for Mespotine the oracle that respond my questions when I confused hahah.

if you want to make Donation use this link
https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted...=RWA58GZTYMZ3N

Last edited by daniellumertz; 05-19-2021 at 01:22 PM.
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
bellerandre

Amazing!!

I don't know if I'll personally make use of it: I generally only go the other way around: from Reaper TO a notation program.

But this is super cool!
bellerandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerandre View Post
Amazing!!

I don't know if I'll personally make use of it: I generally only go the other way around: from Reaper TO a notation program.

But this is super cool!
Cool bellerandre !
here is a tip (without any script/extension) for transfering midi from reaper to notation software (or any other that accepts MIDI): you can drag and drop an MIDI item from reaper to the notation program using the mouse modifier: ' Render Item to new File ' .

you might already know about it, but just in case...
Old 03-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #4
daniellumertz

Small update!

It was requesting Lokasenna GUI path, although I have put Lokasenna GUI Inside the script. Now It won't require anymore.

Also updated the manual added an Musescore Plugin to export to MIDI to the musescore project saved folder (before it was hardcoded)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #5
vitalker

The idea is amazing!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
daniellumertz

Thanks if you end up using let me know !
Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Thanks if you end up using let me know !
If I'll need to transfer midi, then I'll do for sure, thanks.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
Perken

Hi, Thanks for this awesome script !

Itís been a long-lasting dream of mine to have a notation editor become the main driver for Reaper, and your script just brought me one step closer.

As expected, the Reaper side works great. The Musescore side carries a few bothersome quirks:
1. I couldnít get the midi export script to work in Musescore (Iím on a mac, Iíll look tonight to see if it can work on the linux side). My current way was: create midi file in reaper=> modify it in musescore=> try to export with script.
2. Musescoreís and Sibeliusí midi exports include all kinds of useless CC data, which interact with VSTs in unexpected ways once brought inside of Reaper. Is there any way to change that ?
3. When I close the midi editor, Reaper keeps prompting me to save changes to the midi file. How do I make this automatic ?
4. CC lanes get copied to only one of the explosionís children. Is there a way to change that ?

Besides this, the script is great. The explosion functionality is working flawlessly, and itís really nice to have it as a script that takes care of mapping midi channels to track numbers. Congrats !

The thing Iím most excited about, imo the most powerful feature of this script is the Midi track import option - because it allows me to seamlessly import time-signature changes into the DAW!! Thatís so awesome, because I can now fit Reaperís timeline around my ideas, instead of the other way around!

All I have to say now, is be on the lookout for complex voice-leads and odd-time signatures. I sent a little donation. Thank your daniellumertz!
Perken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:57 PM   #9
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perken View Post
Hi, Thanks for this awesome script !

It’s been a long-lasting dream of mine to have a notation editor become the main driver for Reaper, and your script just brought me one step closer.

As expected, the Reaper side works great. The Musescore side carries a few bothersome quirks:
1. I couldn’t get the midi export script to work in Musescore (I’m on a mac, I’ll look tonight to see if it can work on the linux side). My current way was: create midi file in reaper=> modify it in musescore=> try to export with script.
2. Musescore’s and Sibelius’ midi exports include all kinds of useless CC data, which interact with VSTs in unexpected ways once brought inside of Reaper. Is there any way to change that ?
3. When I close the midi editor, Reaper keeps prompting me to save changes to the midi file. How do I make this automatic ?
4. CC lanes get copied to only one of the explosion’s children. Is there a way to change that ?

Besides this, the script is great. The explosion functionality is working flawlessly, and it’s really nice to have it as a script that takes care of mapping midi channels to track numbers. Congrats !

The thing I’m most excited about, imo the most powerful feature of this script is the Midi track import option - because it allows me to seamlessly import time-signature changes into the DAW!! That’s so awesome, because I can now fit Reaper’s timeline around my ideas, instead of the other way around!

All I have to say now, is be on the lookout for complex voice-leads and odd-time signatures. I sent a little donation. Thank your daniellumertz!
Hey Perken! Thanks for the kind words and the donation!
1.Can you elaborate what happen when you try to run the Musescore plugin to export midi? It just don't create? It appears a error message? There are 2 things that might help you:

A) The plugin works only in musescore 3.6+
B) The plugin had a bug in Win and Mac on the Musescore side that I couldn't fix. I reported the bug, it is one function of them is not working as properly. I will se if I can at least show a message to help the user. The bug is the following:

The plugin tries to get the path of the file you are exporting to. If the file wasn't saved it will return a error. This is expected. But if the user just saved the file for the first time and tries to run it will still return a error. You need to save for the first time and then reopen the Musescore File, and now the export plugin will work. This is on the musescore side I can't do much... I will try to update to show a message explaining.

2. Oh theses CC... In Midi Transfer Window at top there is options>Transfer CC. That you can turn off

3. This message will always appear when you are closing a midi editor with MIDI linked to a file. Are you trying to edit the file you are bringing from musescore? Remember the midi transfer is just helping you to get from Other Software to Reaper not the other way around. I don't see much use to edit the Midi item that is coming from musescore as after you update on musescore it will erase your changes. You can edit the child items made by midi transfer, they are not linked, but midi transfer will override the next update. If you don't want this you can use "Keep cuts" option on midi transfer ! It allow just part of the items be updated. There are more info in the manual

4. Hm in Sibelius all exploded child(these terms are getting weird) are getting the CC they should. I think this is how musescore export midi I will check the foruns and see if is a bug I can work around.

Thanks for using and letting me know !
About the options when you are importing concerning time signatures: This is from Reaper side . The script just tries to reimport each time it notice the file was updated, and then explode it in different tracks hehhe. I never used it importing different timesignatures and stuff from the notation software, glad to know it works. Just make sure your item is at the 1 bar.

Edit: on item 4. Exporting a mid file from musescore don't export any cc Other than the first track in my tests O.o (whaaaat?) I will make a post on musescore see if there is a way to enable that or see what is going on

Last edited by daniellumertz; 04-29-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
dagamusik

This is totally amazing, I thank you!
dagamusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:02 PM   #11
Perken

Quote:
4. Hm in Sibelius all exploded child(these terms are getting weird)
Haha !
This is all really great info, thanks a lot. I'll keep you updated on my wanderings with the script.
Perken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
daniellumertz

Hello people! Updated to 1.31!

Corrected Bug concerning huge MIDI files on midi tracks mode: MIDI Transfer was trying to open it before it was done. NOW the window to try to import the midi files back to reaper will only appear when the file is ready and you get focus back to reaper.

MUCH MUCH faster handling of MIDI notes. ( more than 100x times faster )

Better Support to Import Time Signature in MIDI Track MODE (before it tried to import whenever the edit cursor was, now it tries to import the tempo starting with the item)

Presets Menu Removed, I don't see much use in that actually

Add forum and Donate button

Last edited by daniellumertz; 05-05-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #13
Regisfofo

This seems amazing! I have to try it!
Probably way too complex but would there be a way to sync playback and transport ? I could really use reaper being slave to musescore playhead....
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
daniellumertz

Thanks Regisfofo.
It will not support playback sync. Actually this script came from my frustration over Sibelius + Rewire + Reaper sync. There are too much MIDI jitter (time discrepancies) error. In the 10 ~ 50ms size. I think there are some people that manage to sync musescore with reaper but I can be wrong.I presume the same MIDI jitter would be present. Anyway this is intended to be a offline sync. whereas a Rewire type of thing is Online.

ps: the term slave is not being used anymore .
Old 05-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
Regisfofo

Thanks for the explanations !
I probably have to update my langage too
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #16
daniellumertz

Hey people I made a video on how to use/install/configs it. It is in the first post!
and here too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaZSoyqpcoA
Old 06-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #17
o_e

Quote:
Hey people I made a video on how to use/install/configs it. It is in the first post!
and here too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaZSoyqpcoA
Hi,

I've made an attempt on using the script, following your video, when I try to explode the midi-file I get emty items (see screenshot).
What am I missing?
Thanks for help!

o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #18
daniellumertz

Hey o_e, nice to see you here. Hm are the midi notes in channels 1 2 and 3 ? And if they are, you selected as source item the right item you are trying to use? (Just to be sure ) If you want you can send me the project with the midi file.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #19
o_e

Quote:
Hey o_e, nice to see you here. Hm are the midi notes in channels 1 2 and 3 ? And if they are, you selected as source item the right item you are trying to use? (Just to be sure ) If you want you can send me the project with the midi file.
Thanks for the quick reply!

You were right, the lines were on other midi channels, now it works!
But, when I close the Reaper Project and then reopen it, the MIDI Transfer settings are not saved, how can I do this..?
Old 06-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #20
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

You were right, the lines were on other midi channels, now it works!
But, when I close the Reaper Project and then reopen it, the MIDI Transfer settings are not saved, how can I do this..?
If you first close midi transfer and then reaper it will save
Old 06-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #21
o_e

Quote:
If you first close midi transfer and then reaper it will save
Ok, thanks!

So I would like to make a feature request:

That the state of MIDI Transfer will be saved when closing Reaper, no matter what..
Old 07-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #22
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Ok, thanks!

So I would like to make a feature request:

That the state of MIDI Transfer will be saved when closing Reaper, no matter what..
Sorry the delay a lot of stuff in my master end of semester :P ! I updated with your feature request! Now it saves when close when set tracks and when set a source!

Also added a link to the video on youtube

V 1.32.2
Old 11-03-2021, 02:09 AM   #23
Mr. PC

I would love if it went the other way... I can change notes in Reaper, and it'll update in Muse-Score.

But I don't want CC, keyswitches etc. to update in MuseScore... and it would be nice if I could "humanize" in Reaper without that changing MuseScore.

Then add hairpins etc. in MuseScore only.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:09 AM   #24
TonE

I am using this for a long time, without any script. Just .MIDI file reference as you explain in your youtube video, plus setting all midi files OFFLINE during external processing, then back ONLINE after processing is enough.

Some users asked in Youtube if the opposite is possible. Yes, just add your external notation editor (or any other gui .exe or command line program) as a secondary editor. There you go. Then you can create a custom action doing something like: All media OFFLINE > open selected items in secondary editor > All media ONLINE after closing secondary editor. Good luck. Reaper allows anything thanks to those three features:
1. OFFLINE going of media items.
2. Loading of new .mid files as .mid file reference into arrrange
3. Assigning any program as secondary editor which you can trigger as action

Thanks Reaper devs and users.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #25
BartR

Quote:
Hello people! Updated to 1.31!

Corrected Bug concerning huge MIDI files on midi tracks mode: MIDI Transfer was trying to open it before it was done. NOW the window to try to import the midi files back to reaper will only appear when the file is ready and you get focus back to reaper.

MUCH MUCH faster handling of MIDI notes. ( more than 100x times faster )

Better Support to Import Time Signature in MIDI Track MODE (before it tried to import whenever the edit cursor was, now it tries to import the tempo starting with the item)

Presets Menu Removed, I don't see much use in that actually

Add forum and Donate button
Hello Daniel

thank you for the amazing work!
yes I felt down into the bug of MuseScore today, making several trials.

Do not say anything about the troubles to get the audio out from MuseScore to put it into OBS. 1 day work. Solution: nothing, justa compromise.

I have the version 3.6.2.548021803 (easy versioning I see) .... I think I have to deal with :-)

Your script is working fine but I spotted just a small glitch: when I close the project, and the script, it crashes (at least a small popup appears telling that the script crashes).

I have reaper 6.56 under W11
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:52 AM   #26
BartR

2 Things here below

1st - PAY ATTENTION TO MUSESCORE FEATURE > EXPORTS PROGRAM CHANGES

I don't know it this is known or not.
I know that I stumbled upon this issue yesterday

When you export from MuseScore, in the Main MIDI exported, there are program changes even if not forecasted by the writer.

If you don't know this, and you use (as I did) synths like Xpand2, you risk to get some very strange behaviour just when you reload the project and you start playing (not when in loop or after the first play)

Initially I thought it was some but in reaper OR Xpand2.
I got crazy and then I discovered it was not a bug of any, it's just this way of MuseScore. SFIK there is no way to disable it.

I would appreciate if there is a way to do it

2nd - WHEN YOU CLOSE THE SCRIPT, IT'S NOT CLOSED

When you have the script opened and you click on the X to close the window, the script still running.
Indeed re-instantiate the script via Action-list, Reaper asks to shutdown the previous instance, or to start another one.

Last edited by BartR; 04-27-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:38 AM   #27
daniellumertz

For the first thing I made a update recently I can push to reapack I haven't yet because I didn't test in the reaper release version. It will add a menu to filter PC messages .

Second is by design if you close the script while it is checking to update the file it will run on the background, economizing cpu that would be use to draw the UI
Old 04-27-2022, 03:49 AM   #28
BartR

Quote:
For the first thing I made a update recently I can push to reapack I haven't yet because I didn't test in the reaper release version. It will add a menu to filter PC messages .

Second is by design if you close the script while it is checking to update the file it will run on the background, economizing cpu that would be use to draw the UI
Ok great so with the next release your script provides to remove this? Great.

About the second one. Ok great. however if happens to close it without upfront stop it, it should be nice if a window appears informing OR, if possible, to close the window should be impossible till the script is stopped
Old 04-27-2022, 11:11 PM   #29
BartR

when you push the new version on ReaPack, please let us know.
Because yes, it's possible to use the MiDI Filter of Reaper, but's quite cumbersome.
It's very preferrable that this script does the filtering as well.
It's a wonderful tool
Old 04-28-2022, 01:19 AM   #30
acebone

I think there's a time in going from "not very experienced with Reaper" to "more experienced" where all of a sudden you realise all of the great functionality that scripting adds. And you start installing, and customizing and Reaper becomes more and more the DAW of your dreams.

This script is exactly one of those scripts, I've really wanted a way to use an external, scorebased midi-editor, and here it is

Thanks!
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:31 AM   #31
BartR

meanwhile I introduced a FR to MuseScore asking if possible to integrate the function to export MIDI through a shortcut, since they are out with the Beta for Version 4 ...
It doesn't mean they will do;
It means I just put a flea in one's ear ... who knows ...
Old 04-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #32
daniellumertz

I pushed a new version with Option to transfer Program Change
Old 04-29-2022, 11:03 PM   #33
BartR

Quote:
Thank you a zillion, Daniel. I appreciated.

I downloaded it now and I will try iy in some minute
Old 04-29-2022, 11:21 PM   #34
BartR

Quote:
Hello Daniel

it works PERFECTLY!!!

Thank you a zillion for this!
Old 05-01-2022, 05:35 AM   #35
BartR

HI have made here a tutorial based on the 1.33 ;-)

ENGLISH

ITALIANO
Old 05-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #36
daniellumertz

Hey Bart thanks a lot for that, it is the first time someone make a video about my script work and I feel very glad it was good for you enough to you make a video about it
Old 05-02-2022, 03:19 AM   #37
BartR

Quote:
Hey Bart thanks a lot for that, it is the first time someone make a video about my script work and I feel very glad it was good for you enough to you make a video about it
youíve made an excellent script 👌👌👌
Old 05-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #38
Kristaoss

Hi Daniel,

Sorry in advance for the stupid question.

What is the benefit of this script?
Is it "only" to solve the jitter caused by ReWire?
I haven't encountered any issues with Rewire but that's probably because I'm not an advanced user of this type of workflow, apparently it's common and that's what led you to write it.

But is there another reason that I don't see?
Apparently having MIDI in Reaper isn't really useful since it's not relevant to edit it there. This can be a quick way to import it and move/copy it to other tracks, it's already really cool. (I saw your Keep cuts function, interesting)

I'll give it a try anyway and since everyone in this thread seems to see how useful and cool it is, I really want to know why too! And I should work more with ReWire to understand how unstable it is ;-)

Thank you.

EDIT
Ok... I messed around with ReWire a bit and... now I get it >_<
Maybe there are tweaks to be made to improve synchronization but indeed, there's probably something to drive crazy in there.
I will try your workflow.

EDIT
I gave a try to your script, it works nicely.
Your explanatory video is super clear thank you.

Last edited by Kristaoss; 05-24-2022 at 07:30 PM. Reason: adding infos
Kristaoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #39
Kristaoss

Digging a little more I have constant crashes using the MIDI track feature.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'll have to give it another try tomorrow following your instructions again. I'm using Sibelius, there is maybe a thing I'm doing wrong there.

Here is what's in the console:

Error: main.lua:125: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackMediaItem' (MediaTrack expected)

Stack traceback:
Core.lua:89: in function <...ER\Scripts\Daniel Lumertz Scripts\MIDI Transfer\Core.lua:80>
[C]: in field 'GetTrackMediaItem'
main.lua:125: in function 'CopyMediaItem'
main.lua:291: in function 'main_tr'
GUI.lua:696: in method 'onmouseup'
Core.lua:889: in field 'Update'
Core.lua:441: in field 'Main_Update_Elms'
Core.lua:303: in function <...ER\Scripts\Daniel Lumertz Scripts\MIDI Transfer\Core.lua:299>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Core.lua:299: in function <...ER\Scripts\Daniel Lumertz Scripts\MIDI Transfer\Core.lua:298>

Lokasenna_GUI:
v1.34
Reaper:
6.53/x64
Platform:
Win64
Kristaoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:58 PM   #40
daniellumertz

Thanks for the bug report I will try to reproduce here. If you want you can send me the MIDI and the reaper project (or some small version of it), that can make my debugging life easier heheh...

Just to make sure, are you checking the first option when you update the midi file?