Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default "(" moves focus to actions list in Edit/Create Custom Action window

I can't type a left parenthesis "(" in the name field for a custom action. Whenever I do, it moves the focus to the list of all the actions in the left frame.

Something like this would be a useful for accessibility reasons if the tab key didn't navigate through all of the fields of the window (which it does).

And since I can type a right parenthesis ")" in the name field for a custom action without any problems, I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
Edgemeal

FWIW I don't see that behavior in Win10 with REAPER v6.23.

Is it possible you set the scope for shortcut "(" to 'Global + Text fields' and pressing the key is actually running an action/script? If not then it might help to include your OS & version, and the version of REAPER you're using also.
Edgemeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

do you have that key bound to an action and have the global override set for it, perhaps? (oops what edgemeal already asked...)
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
FWIW I don't see that behavior in Win10 with REAPER v6.23.

Is it possible you set the scope for shortcut "(" to 'Global + Text fields' and pressing the key is actually running an action/script? If not then it might help to include your OS & version, and the version of REAPER you're using also.
I can now see that I have "Shift+9" bound as the shortcut for the "Item properties: Pitch item down one semitone" action. But I don't know how to set the scope of a shortcut to 'Global + Text fields'. Is there some way to change the scope for shortcuts so they won't do anything when I am trying to use them to enter text?

I'm on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra, Reaper v6.13/64 rev 2252ae

Last edited by earhax; 02-16-2021 at 06:06 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #5
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
I can now see that I have "Shift+9" bound as the shortcut for the "Item properties: Pitch item down one semitone" action. But I don't know how to set the scope of a shortcut to 'Global + Text fields'. Is there some way to change the scope for shortcuts so they won't do anything when I am trying to use them to enter text?

I'm on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra, Reaper v6.13/64 rev 2252ae
Okay this is weird. I just tried reassigning the shortcut for the same action to the same shortcut. It changed it from showing "Shift+9" to "(".

The same behavior still occurs in the Create/Edit Custom Action window, so I guess I need to change the scope of the shortcut somehow so that it isn't enabled for text fields?
Old 02-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #6
Edgemeal

By default scope is normal, you would have had to change it.

Scope setting is in shortcut edit window,..

EDIT: FWIW, I set shift+9 to global+text and when focus is on the custom action name field the action still works on the selected item, the "(" char is not added to the name field, and the focus does not change, so no clue why you see that, maybe its only a MAC thing? Good luck!

Win10 REAPER v6.23 x64

Last edited by Edgemeal; 02-16-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Edgemeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
earhax

Quote:

Aha! I usually enter them so quickly I never really very closely looked at the window that comes up haha.

Okay, it was set to normal. But I even tried deleting the shortcut, and the same behavior still occurs in the Edit/Create Custom Action window. Don't seem to have any issues typing "(" in any other text fields in REAPER, though. I tried track name, take name, and a couple others and had no trouble with it.

Pretty weird.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
earhax

Quote:

Oh my... as a pleasantly unexpected result of this, I just solved a problem that has been an annoyance for YEARS now!

Basically, I made scripts to do transport>play at various different speeds (0.125-4x), and both those and the normal play/stop using spacebar would fail to work if I was focused on the editor for various plugins, or any plugin hosted in an instance of Blue Cat's PatchWork, even with "send all keyboard input to plug-in" option disabled.

But I just tried setting the shortcuts for one of those 'play @ x rate' scripts to global, and hooray! It works!

Wow. Thank you for making me aware of this! Now I've got to go through a bunch of other actions/shortcuts and change them to global too haha!
Old 03-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #9
earhax

I've discovered that, despite the settings, sometimes certain shortcuts get hijacked no matter what. e.g. I was using shift+left/right to shift the time selection left/right by the time selection length. Even though those shortcuts were set to normal, any time I was trying to select text in a text field using shift+left/right, I would instead move the time selection.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Ah, fixing
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #11
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah, fixing