Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
Rosetree
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 196
Default Add or subtract the same amount of value to multiple envelope points at once?

Hello.

Maybe it is right in front of my face and I am not finding it, but how do I input a certain value, for example, +3 or -3 to multiple envelope points and move them up or down together?

The set point value action only allows you to change the value for a specific point you have chosen.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
valy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,922
Default

I'm not sure you can, at least natively.

The easiest way is probably to make them an automation item, then you can adjust them all with the Baseline parameter. That's usually what I do
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #3
maralatho
Human being with feelings
 
maralatho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 251
Default

As a workaround, I assigned the UP arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points up a little bit" action, and assigned the DOWN arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points down a little bit" action. Now every time I hit an UP or DOWN arrow, all of the selected points move by 1db.

I also have LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow assigned to the "Left by grid" and "Right by grid" actions.

Last edited by maralatho; 04-07-2021 at 07:43 AM.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings
 
bolgwrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On my arse in Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
As a workaround, I assigned the UP arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points up a little bit" action, and assigned the DOWN arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points down a little bit" action. Now every time I hit an UP or DOWN arrow, all of the selected points move by 1db.

I also have LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow assigned to the "Left by grid" and "Right by grid" actions.
+1. If your default envelope shape is square, you only need select the first (L/H) point in the segment, too.
__________________
www.sachetsofrelish.com
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
Fabian
Human being with feelings
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
Hello.

Maybe it is right in front of my face and I am not finding it, but how do I input a certain value, for example, +3 or -3 to multiple envelope points and move them up or down together?

The set point value action only allows you to change the value for a specific point you have chosen.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
I wrote a script for that MF_SetAddScaleSelectedEnvPoints.lua It allows you to set, or scale, or add/subtract to the values of the selected envelope points. The script is a bit rough at the edges, but seems to work as I intended it. I have it on the selected envelope point right-click menu.

In the dialog, if you prefix the value with "s", like "s -0.5" it sets the selected envelope points to -0.5 (which would be dB for volume envelopes). If you prefix by "x", like "x 0.5" the selected envelope points are scaled by 0.5, that is set to half their original value. A prefix of "a", like "a -0.5", adds the value to the selected envelope points.

Note that the useful values depend on the type of envelope so sanity-checking is a bit problematic and not always done correctly. But this has so far only bitten me during development of the script, not in actual use.
__________________
// MVHMF
I never always did the right thing, but all I did wasn't wrong...

Last edited by Fabian; 04-07-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Rosetree
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
As a workaround, I assigned the UP arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points up a little bit" action, and assigned the DOWN arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points down a little bit" action. Now every time I hit an UP or DOWN arrow, all of the selected points move by 1db.

I also have LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow assigned to the "Left by grid" and "Right by grid" actions.
Thank you!
Yes, I actually found the script.
Assigning them to arrow keys seems like a good idea.

Thank you once again!
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
Rosetree
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I wrote a script for that MF_SetAddScaleSelectedEnvPoints.lua It allows you to set, or scale, or add/subtract to the values of the selected envelope points. The script is a bit rough at the edges, but seems to work as I intended it. I have it on the selected envelope point right-click menu.

In the dialog, if you prefix the value with "s", like "s -0.5" it sets the selected envelope points to -0.5 (which would be dB for volume envelopes). If you prefix by "x", like "x 0.5" the selected envelope points are scaled by 0.5, that is set to half their original value. A prefix of "a", like "a -0.5", adds the value to the selected envelope points.

Note that the useful values depend on the type of envelope so sanity-checking is a bit problematic and not always done correctly. But this has so far only bitten me during development of the script, not in actual use.

Wow! Thank you for letting me know about the script.
It works just fine and this will definitely be a time-saver.

I just put it as the first thing in the Envelope point context menu.

Thank you once again for your information and the script☆
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Philbo King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,442
Default

Just do a time selection of the points you want to increase/decrease then use the knob in the track panel, or control-drag in the selected area.
__________________
Tangent Studio - Philbo King
www.soundclick.com/philboking - stream music
www.facebook.com/philboking - gigs and news
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #9
Rosetree
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Just do a time selection of the points you want to increase/decrease then use the knob in the track panel, or control-drag in the selected area.
Thank you!

That was so simple and straightforward.
I can't believe I was not aware of this.

Much appreciated!
Rosetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
X-Raym
Human being with feelings
 
X-Raym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: France
Posts: 7,495
Default

I use my Set or offset selected envelope point scripts. It support addition, multiplication, absolute value, afder scaling, automation items etc
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #11
Philbo King
Human being with feelings
 
Philbo King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosetree View Post
Thank you!

That was so simple and straightforward.
I can't believe I was not aware of this.

Much appreciated!
I'm glad it helped you.

No criticism intended to the others who responded, but I often see a tendency toward complex solutions for simple problems on the forum.

Perhaps it comes from the analytic mindset of problem solvers, so, yeah, not a bad thing...
__________________
Tangent Studio - Philbo King
www.soundclick.com/philboking - stream music
www.facebook.com/philboking - gigs and news
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #12
X-Raym
Human being with feelings
 
X-Raym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: France
Posts: 7,495
Default

Quote:
No criticism intended to the others who responded, but I often see a tendency toward complex solutions for simple problems on the forum.

This is true, though your answer doesnt answer the OP in its original requirements :P


The OP compare the feature needed to the set point value function which is a popup.


The time selection is click and drag which is less precise, could be slower and may not be desired for whatever reason.


The script I mentioned precisely solved the popup for multiple point issue (that is why I made it).


But any approach is good to know for sure, and some ways could be more appreciate than.the original user request :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #13
maralatho
Human being with feelings
 
maralatho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I'm glad it helped you.

No criticism intended to the others who responded, but I often see a tendency toward complex solutions for simple problems on the forum.

Perhaps it comes from the analytic mindset of problem solvers, so, yeah, not a bad thing...
The reason I don't use the knob in the track panel method more often is because I have to fiddle with it too much to get the value I'm after. How far to drag is always a game of chance. Even grabbing the path directly, where there is a value readout, is hit and miss. On the other hand, if I select the points and use the arrow keys to move them, I know that each click of the UP or DOWN arrow is exactly 1db.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:53 AM   #14
Multibomber
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maralatho View Post
As a workaround, I assigned the UP arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points up a little bit" action, and assigned the DOWN arrow key to the "Envelopes: Move selected points down a little bit" action. Now every time I hit an UP or DOWN arrow, all of the selected points move by 1db.

I also have LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow assigned to the "Left by grid" and "Right by grid" actions.
What a great idea!
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.