Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
Joe Miller
Human being with feelings

Default Magic Mouse/Trackpad Scroll and Zoom misbehaving

Hi,

I'm having problems with pinch/scroll/zoom horizontal on the current Reaper versions using the Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad on M1 Mac Big Sur. The fine & responsive accuracy of this motion seems to have vanished, and now the behaviour of scrolling and zooming appears to have a kind of exponential behaviour, like when you tick the 'accelerate mouse pointer' in Windows. I have tried ticking the throttle mouse etc settings in advanced gui in Reaper settings but it just slows down the same overall behaviour into something that looks quantized, but it's still impossible to do movements smoothly and accurately as I was before. I could previously move my finger across the trackpad or mouse enough to quickly get to a specific horizontal zoom scale on a region, but now it's often just 'maxing out' or 'maxing in' the zoom with little movement. And I should point out I don't have the sensitivity high on these Apple devices, they're both set to kind of 3-4 notches out of 10 on the Apple settings.

It's bad enough that I've just ditched the Magic Mouse and Trackpad completely for now and instead trying to use mouse modifiers on a Logitech G305 scrollwheel mouse instead. However I am also seeing issues with the 'Continuous Scrolling' tickbox in Reaper's options menu. It works for a bit then once you've clicked about a few times in the arrange window it just gives up continuous scrolling and the ruler goes off the edge of the page out of view until you restart the transport.

I don't know why it's so dramatically different from before, but I've come back to finish some large arrangement projects after a few months away and the accuracy I had before is gone. I wouldn't mind not using the Apple devices if I could replicate a horizontal zoom & scroll method on a regular mouse in arrange, but it seems pretty inconsistent now.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Joe Miller
Human being with feelings

Strange - I have managed to approximate the older behaviour by a) setting the gearing to 0.3 and b) *disabling* multitouch swipe in Reaper's settings. This restores the original accurate Magic Mouse swipe/zoom behaviour.

However, the Magic Trackpad is unusable, there's no motion you can do that doesn't wildly zoom or unzoom far much more than you intended. Pretty odd behaviour, it feels as though when you do a zooming or scroll motion, there's a period of timed inertia after the motion that carries on feeding input to Reaper and you can't stop it from carrying on after your movements so you're left guessing where it's going to end up, rather than it just STOPPING zoom or scroll when you stop moving. The funny thing is I see the preference for turning off inertia in Reaper, but that just turns the zoom motion into a single step you have to keep repeating to get anywhere, not really a solution.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote