Old 05-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Copy/Move items with (non-item) fx envelopes

I wasn't sure whether to call this a bug, or just a design problem, but it just cost me quite a bit of time and almost torpedoed a clients Blueray production schedule.

It consists of a primary problem that is likely fixable with some simple checks, and a secondary problem that I've been yacking on about for a few years.

The primary problem is what happens when you
copy/move an item from a track that has envelopes across it

to a track where these enveloeps are unactivated & unarmed.

More specifically when these envelopes usually have a value of 0 or 1 only.
Reaper defaults to 0.5 on these envelopes.

The result is that the item has the value of 0 or 1 for this parameter across it, but outside you have a value of 0.5. And that is a big, big f*$%#%^@ problem for all parameters that alternate between only 0 and 1.

Deessers have monitor toggles, and 0.5 usually means Monitor ON, as was the case for the Waves Sibilance deesser. Through a simple edit, by copying or moving something from one track to another, I could mess up everything else around it.

Solutions ?
Reaper could scan the source track whether the values only take 0 or 1, and default to a parameter value of 0 on the target track.

And/or you could let the user lock out specified parameters of specific plugins from being automatable. In short, they can't have envelopes.

I hope you can find a solution for this. It's happened to me half a dozen times, and it's all just from moving or copying stuff. It kinda puts a bad vibe on using the 'activate&arm envelopes when touched in a writing mode' thing, because stuff like this makes it a danger. Instead, it's safer to write a clean slate on everything I'm likely to use in a session. It's just safer until this problem is resolved.

Secondary problem

The envelopes on the target track get the data copied/moved from the source track for the items copied/moved, but not the arming status.

"Oh this again. Let me click the 'fix that problem' button in form of the SWS/S&M: Arm all active envelopes for selected tracks.

Please do make that optional, because it's just a nuisance and an unexpectedly bad thing to have happen. Reaper copies everything except for that important detail ? Optional to the max please.

A screenshot to illustrate. Items were being copied to the track beneath them. Only the source tracks had one envelope activated and armed each.
Track 1 is the SOURCE. Track 1 has one parmater activated and armed. You can see the result. In this case the parameter is the threshold of ReaComp, which defaults to 0.5 anyway.
Track 3 is the second SOURCE. Same thing happens, but this time the parameter is always just 0 or 1, so it depends how the plugin interprets it.
None of the envelopes on the target tracks are armed. Ready for nothing.

Last edited by airon; 05-07-2021 at 03:12 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
airon
Human being with feelings

Here‘s an idea on how to fix that issue that might be the simplest of all:
For initializing a new envelope, use the parameter value from the default preset.
That would fix all my deesser problems and most of the toggle-value-parameters I‘ve encountered, right ?

-edit-
Posted a new and improved bug report that nails down the actual issue. The great thing is, the fix is easy.

Last edited by airon; 05-12-2021 at 03:14 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote