Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-08-2021, 02:29 AM   #1
z.curve
Human being with feelings

Default [6.13] REX files not previewing or playing on Windows XP Pro SP3

Versions affected: REAPER 6.13 - 6.28 (32-bit)

When playing with the latest REAPER (6.28) on my XP laptop, I noticed REX files in the Media Explorer failed to preview or import. Instead I got an error dialog, titled, "Entry Point Not Found". This warns, "The procedure entry point CompareStringEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." Repeated attempts at selecting REX files don't show the error dialog again in the session, but still fail to preview or import.

It used to work back in the day so I checked some recent releases. It worked up until REAPER 6.12c, but not in the subsequent 6.13 or later. I see the 6.13 release featured this update:

REX: update Windows shared library to version 1.8.3, includes unbridged 64-bit support
z.curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Can you look in your Program Files\REAPER folder to see if the file "REX Shared Library.dll" is there? If so, my guess would be that the Propellerheads library ended XP support with that upgrade, unfortunately.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
z.curve

Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah it's there in the /Plugins subfolder, and yup that explanation sounds likely.

Incidentally, if I copy the REX Shared Library.DLL and its associated reaper_rex.dll from a 612c installation's Plugins folder, to the equivalent folder in any later release, then I do get XP REX functionality back again! But that's probably a bad idea, unsupported, liable to break, and very, very naughty.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:46 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

That's fine to do. The only reason I didn't suggest it originally is that I thought there was a change in the API, but if it works, it works!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
z.curve

Hi, just tested the v6.30rc11 build on Windows XP and if it's of interest, I still get the Media Explorer error message when browsing folders with REX files ("The procedure entry point CompareStringEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"). After the original bug report above, I made a follow-up report in the v6.29+dev0521 release thread, in case it was relevant to that build's log entry of # Windows: revert non-functional XP rx2 support bleh. (There are workarounds as discussed previously, so it might not matter much.)

Last edited by z.curve; 07-02-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Bob Blacksheep

CompareStringEx() doesn’t exist in Windows XP.

It requires Vista or later.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...omparestringex
Bob Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote