Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
Kevjazz
Human being with feelings

Default How to change all CC@s to CC1s or how to change anything to anything else

I used to use Sonar long ago. There was an Interpolate function which would allow you to swap out a group of common items for other items, I'm pretty sure. Here's the deal. I want to change all my CC2 Breath messages to CC1 Mod Wheel. Is there a way to select all of the same kind of messages and switch them out for a different CC, such as switch CC2 for CC1?
Kevjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
vanceen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevjazz View Post
I used to use Sonar long ago. There was an Interpolate function which would allow you to swap out a group of common items for other items, I'm pretty sure. Here's the deal. I want to change all my CC2 Breath messages to CC1 Mod Wheel. Is there a way to select all of the same kind of messages and switch them out for a different CC, such as switch CC2 for CC1?
I don't know of any way apart from copying the automation into a separate lane for the desired CC. Hopefully someone else will have an easier solution (seeing that it's Reaper, there probably is one).
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Kevjazz

I know that lanes are a thing. but as a blind guy, I really don't know how to use them. Even if I were to copy the data into another lane, that still doesn't suggest how I would change tons of CC2 messages to CC1 messages. A guy who uses Cubase said that he had a facility that would take CC2 input and convert it to CC1 output. I suppose I'm trying to do something like that. No idea how in Reaper. Wouldn't even know how to Google it.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
nofish

You can use the MIDI filter (default shortcut F when you're in the MIDI editor) to filter/select the events you want, or select them in the CC lane directly (right drag) then open the Event Properties window (MIDI editor menu > View > Event Properties) and change the properties of the selected events there (e.g. the 'Controller' dropdown to set them from CC2 to CC1).
nofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
Kevjazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
You can use the MIDI filter (default shortcut F when you're in the MIDI editor) to filter/select the events you want, or select them in the CC lane directly (right drag) then open the Event Properties window (MIDI editor menu > View > Event Properties) and change the properties of the selected events there (e.g. the 'Controller' dropdown to set them from CC2 to CC1).
OK. I'm screwing up somehow. I thought I had this. Process:

1. Activate MIDi filter and check filter Events that pass filter selection.
2. Select All for channels
3. select Control Change for dropdown.
4. Click the Control checkbox
5. Select Breath Control.
6. No matter what selection I make next, Set Selection, Set Filter From Selection...when I hit OK and go to Event Properties to change CC@ to CC1, hitting OK deletes all the CC2s instead of changing them to CC1. I know I was doing this right a couple days ago. I'm beating my head against a wall. Change CC@ to CC1. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
OK. I'm screwing up somehow. I thought I had this. Process:

1. Activate MIDi filter and check filter Events that pass filter selection.
2. Select All for channels
3. select Control Change for dropdown.
4. Click the Control checkbox
5. Select Breath Control.
6. No matter what selection I make next, Set Selection, Set Filter From Selection...when I hit OK and go to Event Properties to change CC@ to CC1, hitting OK deletes all the CC2s instead of changing them to CC1. I know I was doing this right a couple days ago. I'm beating my head against a wall. Change CC@ to CC1. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin, once you select the aftertouch CCs, just press "F2" for properties. There you can change them to CC1 and all you have to do is hit "Apply", then "OK" and it's done.

You don't even need the filter for that, just set up the Aftertouch CC lane, select all the CC events, then hit "F2" and do as I described above.

If I've misunderstood, just forgive me and forget what I posted.
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
when I hit OK and go to Event Properties to change CC@ to CC1, hitting OK deletes all the CC2s instead of changing them to CC1. I know I was doing this right a couple days ago. I'm beating my head against a wall. Change CC@ to CC1. what am I doing wrong?
Aah I missed this. Are you sure you've got "All Midi Channels" selected on the right bottom of the Midi Editor?

When I change from one CC to another, the one I'm changing will disappear, but the one I changed to will show up in it's appropriate CC lane.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
Kevjazz

I've been choosing All for channels. Should I choose 1-16 individually? I have no idea what lanes are because I'm legally blind and everything I do has to be done with keystrokes, not mouse clicks. does that make sense?
Old 06-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #9
Kevjazz

I've never looked at the bottom right corner of the MIDi Editor before. but I can assure you that All is selected for MIDi channels at the bottom right of the MIDi Editor. thanks for hanging in. I'm convinced I did this right a couple days ago and I'm just one KS away from getting it right again.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
Kevjazz

Still banging away and still getting all CC2s hosed whenever I choose either Apply or OK in the Item Properties box accessed with CTRLF2. So close but so frustrated. I do have a bit of vision. How does one make CC lanes visible? In what editor or view are they visible when they are visible?
Old 06-01-2021, 11:23 PM   #11
Kevjazz

what did you mean when you mentioned "Afger you choose the aftertouch lanes? I've never touched any aftertouch lanes that I know of. Never touched any lanes that I know of. See my step by step earlier in this thread. Would you be willing to describe another step by step? Remember, mouse clicks are illegal unless you can very carefully describe what I'm looking for on screen with hidiously poor vision.

I filtered out everything but CC2 and then exited the Filter dialog and hit the Event Properties dialog within MIDi Editor. Changed the dropdown from CC2 Breath to CC1 Modwheel but hitting either Apply or OK caused all selected events to be cut. Obviously, I'm screwing the pooch hard but don't know how or why.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughtful, patient assistance.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
Kevjazz

HeREs a link to a Reaper file with nothing but CC1s. See if you can change them to CC2s relatively quickly and without a mouse. I am using 6.29 if that matters. Is it possible that this messed up between 6.28 and 6.29? Doubt it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqxay139xs...vents.rpp?dl=1
Old 06-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #13
Kevjazz

Sorry for driving everyone nuts last night. the recipe was that I should not use the Filter checkbox at the top left corner of the Filter dialog. If you don't do that, everything works exactly as it should. thanks again for your help and patients.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Sorry for driving everyone nuts last night. the recipe was that I should not use the Filter checkbox at the top left corner of the Filter dialog. If you don't do that, everything works exactly as it should. thanks again for your help and patients.
Did you get it all working Kevjazz, did you find the CC lanes?

Just so you know, I used to train audio engineers back in the 1970s for the state of Montana, and one of my students was completely blind from birth. He got very good at using his ears and got around very well on the mixing board, he knew where everything was.

The visibly impaired organization he was with even had an engineer build a couple of small light detectors that we put over the master output red lights. These red lights indicated when the output was over 0.0dB and the detectors would give a soft beep when they lit up. He was not only a great student, but a good person who was fun to be around.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
vitalker

Kevjazz, I was able to change CC1 to CC2 without mouse.
1. Open MIDI Editor.
2. Press Ctrl+F2.
3. Then press Tab 3 times, so you'll get Controller (CC) list selected.
4. Press Down button.
5. Press Enter.
For some reason after this all the events got vanished, but if I clear Event filter before, it works perfect.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote