Old 08-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
ajawamnet
Human being with feelings

Default Razor edit not adding stretch markers (FIXED)

When I hold Alt and grab the end of a stretch marker, it stretches the razor selected area but doesn't add stretch markers, just creates a new edge breaking the take in two. I've tried a bunch of mouse mods, can't seem to find what should be set.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
ajawamnet

Ok... now it's working for some reason. I closed out and reopened Reaper. But there's still one item that it fails to create stretch markers - just splits the take and moves the edge with a stretch.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
ajawamnet

Here's a vid:

Old 08-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
ajawamnet

Ok - so I think it's related to it not adding stretch markers when using razor edits on multiple takes. It just splits the item that has multiple takes

Last edited by ajawamnet; 08-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Is there a MIDI take in that item? Stretch markers don't work well with MIDI, so razor edits will split the item instead.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Is there a MIDI take in that item? Stretch markers don't work well with MIDI, so razor edits will split the item instead.
No midi items. As shown in the youtube vid... I just noticed that I DO have tracks with multiple takes that DO add stretch markers on razor edits without splitting the item.

Not sure why some audio tracks just split items on an ALT hand symbol drag (stretch within the now split item) as shown in my vid I posted, and others work as expected - you hold ALT, go to the end of the razor edit, the cursor turns to a hand, and when you drag holding Alt, it does NOT cut the take up and drags within the item adding stretch markers (as shown in Kenny Gioia's video:

https://youtu.be/dl8OWuMVN8s?t=247
Old 08-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

The only reason a media item should not be stretched using stretch markers with this kind of edit is if any take in the item is not audio (empty take lane, empty take, or MIDI). If you are seeing something different, could you possibly upload or email the project, trimmed down to just the one media item in question, with the razor edit active, and including the media?
Old 08-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #8
ajawamnet

Quote:
The only reason a media item should not be stretched using stretch markers with this kind of edit is if any take in the item is not audio (empty take lane, empty take, or MIDI). If you are seeing something different, could you possibly upload or email the project, trimmed down to just the one media item in question, with the razor edit active, and including the media?
You nailed it - there's empty take lanes in the ones that do not add stretch markers. The option to show empty take lanes was not visible initially. Thanks for looking into this and the explanation. I set up a toolbar and shortcut for Item:Remove All Empty Take Lanes. That helps a lot.

Last edited by ajawamnet; 08-13-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

The next build of REAPER will allow these edits on media items with empty take lanes, as long as there's at least one audio take, fwiw.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #10
ajawamnet

Quote:
The next build of REAPER will allow these edits on media items with empty take lanes, as long as there's at least one audio take, fwiw.
Awesome... That's good... One thing this did was to clue me into the fact you can bag empty take lanes - that's nice. Reaper's so tweak - hats of to you and Justin for that. I can't tell you how many times I point other software dev's (I design hardware - www.ajawamnet.com) to your program as a way of doing things right.

Hope you guys can fix the "stuck on initializing" bug when opening and closing some projects.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajawamnet View Post
Hope you guys can fix the "stuck on initializing" bug when opening and closing some projects.
Did you see my other posts? They may be helpful to someone.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....17#post2471917

and

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=14
Old 08-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Thanks for the links.... In my case there are no plugins in the session. I responded to your posts on that thread.