Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default Snap Settings... Vegas' Style!

Greetings,

I was talking with some community members about snap/grid behaviour and some of them weren't so happy with it. I decided to analyse this feature in detail to prove you can set it to fit your needs. Let's get into it:

First of all I would like to point out some options I don't like to use while editing (of course, this is my way to work-you can build your own!):

*In "Options=>Preferences=>Editing Behaviour", I don't keep checked "Move edit cursor when clicking media items". Why? Well, If I locate my edit cursor in a determined place I just want it there EVER (or until I decide to move it by clicking in Timeline). Here in this same option you can tick another one related to it: "not on shift/crtl+click" (it toggles "move edit cursor..." behaviour). I'd rather use it the other way around: "Don't move edit cursor when clicking media items" and then "on shift/ctrl+click". This way I can select freely items and if I want to move my edit cursor I just press "shift/ctrl". (Is this a FR?)

*In "Options=>Preferences=>Project=>Defaults", I don't keep checked "Crossfade (overlap) items when splitting", Why? well, If I split an item with this enabled, crossfade is made to the right of the splitting point (I really hate this) not in the VERY middle of the split (if I make an split before a transient I'll lose its attack). There in "Defaults" you can set a "Fade Length" too... I don't use it either. If I want a crossfade I "MAKE" it.

I wanted to clarify this because many community members I was talking to like to use Vegas... and one of them gave me a .gif that shows some behaviour that above options hinder.

Right... In topic again:

Here it is a .gif that shows exactly what one of the members wanted to achieve into reaper:

And here you can see it in reaper (w/o crossfades and w/o moving edit cursor when clicking media items):

Here are my Snap/Grid Settings:

Here I drop an "ugly" sketch of what I think would make "Snap/grid" to work better (do you think I should change it to a new thread in the Features Request Forum?):

Thanks a lot for your time "and always remember... don't make money selling paintings made in PAINt"

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 09-10-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
misterm
Human being with feelings

This would make editing a lot easier and keep up the workflow. +1
Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Blechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Yes, that's exactly what i want.
Thanks for the image.
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Mr. Data

Nice work Mercado_Negro!

Hope they'll do it. +1
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
WyattRice

I wish Reaper had this one setting! Enable snapping to the nearest anything that has a line, from clicking on the timeline. Splits, crossfades, item starts, and endings. Just like in this video.
See Here: Snapping Cursor Demo

Last edited by WyattRice; 11-09-2010 at 01:44 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
WyattRice

Ok, It's in the issue tracker. Please lets have some votes:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2263

Demo
Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post

Here I drop an "ugly" sketch of what I think would make "Snap/grid" to work better (do you think I should change it to a new thread in the Features Request Forum?):

Thanks a lot for your time "and always remember... don't make money selling paintings made in PAINt"
Hi all,
Bump for these snapping settings. I would like to see at least one of the settings for Reaper version 4, and that would be snap cursor to items edge, when clicking the timeline. The original drawing that Mercado did in paint, has been updated. Check it out.