Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
dylanoid
Human being with feelings

Default Super8: record glitches when looping in arrange view

I have found that small audio glitches are generated when recording in super8, while simultaneously playing from the arrange view with a looped section, with either project or playback sync options. This doesn't happen when arrange looping is off. I find this useful to repeat previously recorded material while live looping in super 8. The glitches are very short and occur at predicatable points near at the end and near the beginning of the loop and another time shortly after the beginning.

Can anyone confirm this or offer a workaround? It seems to be related to the sync process.
dylanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Yeah, the way REAPER renders loops is sort of incompatible... for now just don't do that

Edit: (actually this is completely wrong disregard)

Last edited by Justin; 12-27-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:48 AM   #3
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanoid View Post
I have found that small audio glitches are generated when recording in super8, while simultaneously playing from the arrange view with a looped section, with either project or playback sync options. This doesn't happen when arrange looping is off. I find this useful to repeat previously recorded material while live looping in super 8. The glitches are very short and occur at predicatable points near at the end and near the beginning of the loop and another time shortly after the beginning.

Can anyone confirm this or offer a workaround? It seems to be related to the sync process.
Super8 can copy its content to arrange. Would not this technique help? Just copy (move) to arrange, loop normally, continue your experiments in super8? Then there should be no glitches or anything, or not?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
TonE

Another technique is using perform scene lua. Something like. Which saves your time selection as a new project (version) in project directory, loops a few times (64 in example below), so you have your looping, but without any looping active in Reaper. I am using this technique for recording live automation manipulations via hardware controllers, all in one go, for capturing the feeling, flying in time, rather than clicking in arrange with mouse, outside of time and feeling. Good luck friend, welcome in the forum.

save below code as perform_scene.lua, copy to correct scripts folder.

PHP Code:
local no_undo false
pluginName 
"Perform Scene"

function main()

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

local last_act reaper.Undo_CanUndo2(0)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(418950) -- FileSave new version of project (automatically increment project name)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(400490) -- Time selectionCrop project to time selection
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(400430) -- TransportGo to end of project
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(402960) -- TrackSelect all tracks
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(408810) -- Global automation overrideAll automation in latch mode
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Scriptjs_Area selection Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua

local repeats 
64  -- making 64 bars from 1bar time selection

for 1repeats do

reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Scriptjs_Area selection Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua
    end

reaper
.Undo_EndBlock("Yeah, now".." "..pluginName0)
end

reaper
.PreventUIRefresh(1)
main()
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.UpdateArrange()
if 
no_undo then reaper.defer(function() endend  -- Prevent undo if necessary 
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
dylanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Super8 can copy its content to arrange. Would not this technique help? Just copy (move) to arrange, loop normally, continue your experiments in super8? Then there should be no glitches or anything, or not?
However I wish to use arrange as a loop background while recording in super8. The idea is in performance you can play saved loops while making new ones live in super8 (pretty much like loop pedals that can save loops).
Old 12-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
dylanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah, the way REAPER renders loops is sort of incompatible... for now just don't do that
Please make arrange loops compatible Then I will be playing super8 live for sure.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
dylanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Another technique is using perform scene lua. Something like. Which saves your time selection as a new project (version) in project directory, loops a few times (64 in example below), so you have your looping, but without any looping active in Reaper. I am using this technique for recording live automation manipulations via hardware controllers, all in one go, for capturing the feeling, flying in time, rather than clicking in arrange with mouse, outside of time and feeling. Good luck friend, welcome in the forum.

save below code as perform_scene.lua, copy to correct scripts folder.

PHP Code:
local no_undo false
pluginName 
"Perform Scene"

function main()

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

local last_act reaper.Undo_CanUndo2(0)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(418950) -- FileSave new version of project (automatically increment project name)

reaper.Main_OnCommand(400490) -- Time selectionCrop project to time selection
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(400430) -- TransportGo to end of project
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(402960) -- TrackSelect all tracks
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(408810) -- Global automation overrideAll automation in latch mode
    reaper
.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Scriptjs_Area selection Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua

local repeats 
64  -- making 64 bars from 1bar time selection

for 1repeats do

reaper.Main_OnCommand(reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS046c3a9a2e621a1ea58e6aac40b563161ccf67bd"), 0) -- Scriptjs_Area selection Duplicate items and automation in time selection of selected tracks to edit cursor.lua
    end

reaper
.Undo_EndBlock("Yeah, now".." "..pluginName0)
end

reaper
.PreventUIRefresh(1)
main()
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.UpdateArrange()
if 
no_undo then reaper.defer(function() endend  -- Prevent undo if necessary 
Thanks this looks very clever. It will take me a while to work out what's going on!
Old 12-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Hmm I take back my earlier post -- fixing! (should be fixed in the next release, and +dev1227 or later if you use a pre-release)

Last edited by Justin; 12-27-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
dylanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm I take back my earlier post -- fixing! (should be fixed in the next release, and +dev1227 or later if you use a pre-release)
Awesome!
Old 12-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
dylanoid

Quote:
Awesome!
I have tested the fix, and its working fine for me.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
dylanoid

Default related: add to project, number of beats

I have a related question (sorry if off topic): 'Add to project' seems to assume a number of beats depending on the time length of the loop, either 1,2,4,8.. This doesn't seem controllable, am I missing something?
Old 12-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #12
dylanoid

Quote:
I have a related question (sorry if off topic): 'Add to project' seems to assume a number of beats depending on the time length of the loop, either 1,2,4,8.. This doesn't seem controllable, am I missing something?
Ok - I see the beats are adjusted so that the bpm fits between 60..120. To fit other numbers of beats I can manipulate the time signature after adding to project. It would nice if the number of beats could be specfied when adding.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:53 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ok - I see the beats are adjusted so that the bpm fits between 60..120. To fit other numbers of beats I can manipulate the time signature after adding to project. It would nice if the number of beats could be specfied when adding.
You can specify by changing the "click cnt" adjustment