Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default ReaClassical: Open Source Classical Editing Tools for REAPER



I've been working on various ways to improve classical music editing in REAPER (without the need to buy any add-ons) and I feel that I've arrived at something worthwhile and professional. It builds on some existing actions and scripts but I've tweaked a lot and ended up creating much of it from scratch. I've added my own flavor to things including a very workable crossfade editor mode that adds two-lane functionality close enough to Pyramix and Sequoia that the edits can be very precise and fun to work through. I also have dedicated markers for source/destination in/out (different colors and names to visually stand out) for those of us who enjoy single-window S/D (3- and 4-point) editing. I'd obviously love to talk about things here too but for now you could do worse that to read the latest version of the PDF manual here or visit reaclassical.org/.

To get started straight away, see the installation guide.

To just use the scripts and jsfx plugins without any customization of keymaps, toolbar etc, import my repository into ReaPack by copying and pasting this link. Search for "ReaClassical" and install the main ReaClassical package. Search for "RCPlugs" and install the "RCPlugs" metapackage. Use the ReaClassical project template for your new projects (you can set this in the REAPER preferences) and change to the ReaClassical theme (Options > Themes).

For the complete experience: on Linux, MacOS and Windows you can download and run a single script that does everything for you (all OSes and architectures supported by REAPER):

Linux (including Raspberry Pi)
Code:
curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://raw.githubusercontent.com/chmaha/ReaClassical/main/Installers/ReaClassical_Linux.sh | sh
MacOS
Code:
curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://raw.githubusercontent.com/chmaha/ReaClassical/main/Installers/ReaClassical_macOS.sh | sh
Windows
Download ReaClassical_Win64.exe (64-bit) or ReaClassical_Win32.exe (32-bit) where you want to install ReaClassical and double-click. The source code for the installers is here.

For other operations including updating ReaClassical, adding ReaClassical to an existing REAPER install etc, please see the installation instructions and/or PDF Manual.

Finally, if you feel like donating, you can now do so via PayPal, Liberapay or Stripe.

Last edited by chmaha; 02-05-2024 at 04:09 AM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

This is huge, and very much appreciated by those of us who work with this kind of music (I don't actually record classical music, but traditional music in mostly live settings and the classical recording and editing approaches work well for this). A big thank you to you and to those who contributed the earlier foundations of this effort.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
Spookye
Human being with feelings
 
Spookye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Torino, Italia
Posts: 766
Default

I do plan on creating some videos to demonstrate things (if a picture's worth a thousand words, what's a video?) but that might take a little while.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask just that. If you could attach something visual to understand. Thanks in advance .....
Spookye
__________________
Cupboard Home Studio YT
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8...X1912MA260ELzg
Spookye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:48 AM   #4
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Nothing new in the actual scripts and custom actions for now but I've fixed quite a few typos and added various extra details and clarifications in the PDF guide (the link at the top of the thread will always open the latest version available).
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:16 AM   #5
rncwalker
Human being with feelings
 
rncwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Fl.
Posts: 811
Default

@BethHarmon,

Maybe you could add some screenshots in you PDF for now, until you make the videos!


Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #6
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
@BethHarmon,

Maybe you could add some screenshots in you PDF for now, until you make the videos!


Robert
Sure thing. That will be my next update...
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
anomar
Human being with feelings
 
anomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Brazil
Posts: 119
Default

Hi Beth
Is there a chance that yours Classical Editing Tools will sometime go to Reapack?
I am a bit scare to download from Github.
Thanks!
anomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar View Post
Hi Beth
Is there a chance that yours Classical Editing Tools will sometime go to Reapack?
I am a bit scare to download from Github.
Thanks!
Yes, I hope so. I can definitely try to arrange that.

In other news, I've added a few images to the PDF guide (and fixed an oversight with the single-window S/D editing actions where some of my script entries had been deleted in between saving things).
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:27 AM   #9
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

I've updated the guide (and other files) to include information about, and shortcuts for, setting up folder and hidden child tracks that work perfectly with vertical take razor editing. Now it's super-easy to manage takes of massive microphone-count recordings without using up any more screen estate than for a single stereo pair.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:36 AM   #10
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I've updated the guide (and other files) to include information about, and shortcuts for, setting up folder and hidden child tracks that work perfectly with vertical take razor editing. Now it's super-easy to manage takes of massive microphone-count recordings without using up any more screen estate than for a single stereo pair.
Amazing, thank you!
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #11
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar View Post
Hi Beth
Is there a chance that yours Classical Editing Tools will sometime go to Reapack?
I am a bit scare to download from Github.
Thanks!
OK, I added my lua scripts to ReaPack in the sense that you need to import https://raw.githubusercontent.com/El...ster/index.xml into Reapack then just search for "beth".

Fingers crossed, the updated key maps will work with the ReaPack versions of the scripts...
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:14 AM   #12
Sumalc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: France
Posts: 748
Default

Thank you very much for this brilliant work.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #13
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

I just added a new feature which is a take recording cycle action designed to be used alongside the me2beats auto solo script referenced in the user guide. It's perfect for engineers who like to work with the vertical take system from the get-go.

Assuming you've duplicated (with no items) your starting track folder, you can quickly click on one of the empty folder tracks (with or without children "hidden") and with one shortcut record a new take. The cursor returns to the same point in the timeline meaning you can then click on the next folder down and do it again without going through the hassle of un-arming, arming the next group etc. It's a real timesaver during a recording session when the performer or conductor is ready to do another take immediately.

EDIT: The shiny new user guide made in LyX with figure floats, cross-references and clickable hyperlinks is now available.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-10-2022 at 05:25 AM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:38 AM   #14
anomar
Human being with feelings
 
anomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Brazil
Posts: 119
Default Beth Reapack

Hi Beth
Thank you for the Reapack scripts.
I will test all when I have some spare time.
Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
OK, I added my lua scripts to ReaPack in the sense that you need to import https://raw.githubusercontent.com/El...ster/index.xml into Reapack then just search for "beth".

Fingers crossed, the updated key maps will work with the ReaPack versions of the scripts...
anomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #15
ktm
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 64
Default

This is great, thanks for sharing!
ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:00 AM   #16
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings
 
sockmonkey72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,001
Default

@BethHarmon -- where is the fade editor script located exactly? I'm reading through the PDF and trying to figure out where the bits and pieces come from. Thanks!
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #17
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings
 
Meo-Ada Mespotine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 6,660
Default

I guess, some users would be interested in the possibility, so: is there a way to donate for your project?
__________________
Use you/she/her.Ultraschall-Api Lua Api4Reaper - Donate, if you wish

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #18
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
@BethHarmon -- where is the fade editor script located exactly? I'm reading through the PDF and trying to figure out where the bits and pieces come from. Thanks!
The Fade Editor custom action (not script) can be imported with my key map. F opens the fade dialog along with two-lane overlapping zoomed in display. In reality, it works in tandem with the so-called "classical crossfade" action but, I can say from lots and lots of testing that it really does make things way easier and more precise. Video tutorials are definitely planned...

Last edited by chmaha; 04-11-2022 at 11:53 AM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #19
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
I guess, some users would be interested in the possibility, so: is there a way to donate for your project?
Honestly, I'm doing this because it is fun and because I enjoy helping other engineers. At this time I'm not looking for any donations beyond encouraging other users to give feedback and maybe help make things better. For example, I know that I want to convert my custom actions all into Lua scripts at some point. Easy for somebody, no doubt, but for me it will require a few more months of learning It would be really nice to have everything downloadable from ReaPack without relying on key maps/custom actions.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-11-2022 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #20
ericzang
Human being with feelings
 
ericzang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
convert my custom actions all into Lua scripts
in Reapack as "Generate script from custom action"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2185403
[after reading the thread, appears that testing will be needed to see if these generated scripts are transferable to other users]

Thanks so much for sharing your great work!

Last edited by ericzang; 04-11-2022 at 06:02 PM.
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:43 AM   #21
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
in Reapack as "Generate script from custom action"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2185403
[after reading the thread, appears that testing will be needed to see if these generated scripts are transferable to other users]

Thanks so much for sharing your great work!
That's so cool. I'll look into it later today.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:10 AM   #22
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

OK, folks, I've converted everything to Lua (thanks @ericzang) and re-initialized the ReaPack repo. In the process, I also took time to remove any scripts that are not keyboard shortcut candidates and moved the code into the main scripts. So, delete the previous scripts, sync ReaPack, then search for "beth" and you should find "BethHarmon_Classical" metapackage which will install everything you need (17 scripts). No more custom actions!

Is it worth trying to get this into the ReaTeam repo?

I've uploaded the latest complete keymap to reflect the new ReaPack scripts and also included a keymap of just the BethHarmon_* classical scripts. I'm also in the process of updating the user guide to reflect the changes. That will probably end up being published later today (EDIT: done!).

EDIT: Note that the preferences for overlapping lanes have changed as of 6.54rc1 and the guide has been updated accordingly.

Last edited by chmaha; 04-12-2022 at 05:44 AM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #23
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Is it possible for you to walk me through the process of importing the latest (complete) Classical keymap ....your user guide states "Now, you need to choose one of the key map files (I recommend the complete one if you want the full experience!)"

I don't know how 'choose' translates into the 'import/install' process ?

Also....what to do with "Classical RPP template from my Github repo"....does this RPP template get installed in project templates folder ?

Thank you for assistance with these steps

Studer58

Last edited by studer58; 04-12-2022 at 09:07 AM.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #24
X-Raym
Human being with feelings
 
X-Raym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: France
Posts: 9,967
Default

Quote:
Is it worth trying to get this into the ReaTeam repo?

Better keep it independant as it is kind of specific, you will also be way more efficient for pushing updates a'd independant for the global management.
Few things : consider writing doc not as PDF which requires download to be check but as GitHub repo Wiki pages :P
Also, for you can add donation button easily in the repo setting if you want that.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #25
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Is it possible for you to walk me through the process of importing the latest (complete) Classical keymap
I can walk you through that since I remember it took me a while to figure out as well:

1. Under the Options menu in Reaper, there's an option to "Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder." If you do that, you'll see a bunch of subfolders in the Reaper directory, one of which is KeyMaps. Drag the BethHarmon keymap file into that folder (I'm assuming you already downloaded the keymap file to your computer).

2. Under the Actions menu in Reaper, choose Show Action List. At the bottom you'll see a button for Key map... Click on that and choose "Import shortcut key map." It'll take you to your Keymaps folder, where you can select the BethHarmon keymap file and import it.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #26
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

BethHarmon....a couple more puzzling Preferences settings....

In Reaper version 6.53 at Options> Preferences> Appearance (or Appearance> Media) I'm unable to find ....

"Appearance > Media Item Positioning
• Change Offset by. . . percent of item height to 100
• Check Draw as opaque"

Also, in "Project Settings
• Change Video > Frame rate to 75".....isn't this only related to editing video in Reaper, with the drop down menu indicating typical camera fps, and all the other items in that settings window are also video-related only, and not to audio at all ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #27
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
I can walk you through that since I remember it took me a while to figure out as well:

1. Under the Options menu in Reaper, there's an option to "Show Reaper resource path in explorer/finder." If you do that, you'll see a bunch of subfolders in the Reaper directory, one of which is KeyMaps. Drag the BethHarmon keymap file into that folder (I'm assuming you already downloaded the keymap file to your computer).

2. Under the Actions menu in Reaper, choose Show Action List. At the bottom you'll see a button for Key map... Click on that and choose "Import shortcut key map." It'll take you to your Keymaps folder, where you can select the BethHarmon keymap file and import it.
Great, thank you bJohn....that worked without a problem...much appreciated !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #28
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
• Change Video > Frame rate to 75".....isn't this only related to editing video in Reaper, with the drop down menu indicating typical camera fps, and all the other items in that settings window are also video-related only, and not to audio at all ?
That's just the required framerate for redbook CDs (there's a footnote about it in the manual); I assume you can ignore if you're not going to be creating CDs.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #29
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Is it possible for you to walk me through the process of importing the latest (complete) Classical keymap ....your user guide states "Now, you need to choose one of the key map files (I recommend the complete one if you want the full experience!)"

I don't know how 'choose' translates into the 'import/install' process ?

Also....what to do with "Classical RPP template from my Github repo"....does this RPP template get installed in project templates folder ?

Thank you for assistance with these steps

Studer58

Sorry for any confusion. Things are changing pretty quickly. You don't need a key map given I've now converted everything to Lua scripts but if you want my exact shortcuts assigned then it is useful. I think bjohn answered the rest!
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #30
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
In Reaper version 6.53 at Options> Preferences> Appearance (or Appearance> Media) I'm unable to find ....

"Appearance > Media Item Positioning
• Change Offset by. . . percent of item height to 100
• Check Draw as opaque"
I updated the guide to be ready for 6.54 which has changed the way you set overlapping items and lanes. For now: https://paste.pics/GO2JP
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #31
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Sorry for any confusion. Things are changing pretty quickly.
This brings up a question from me, as one of your early adopters...I've downloaded everything a few times over the past couple of weeks but am wondering if I now need to remove anything I've installed or whether going the Reapack route will overwrite whatever I've downloaded earlier with the latest versions?
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #32
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Better keep it independant as it is kind of specific, you will also be way more efficient for pushing updates a'd independant for the global management.
Few things : consider writing doc not as PDF which requires download to be check but as GitHub repo Wiki pages :P
Also, for you can add donation button easily in the repo setting if you want that.
Re: independence, yes, I think I agree. I'll be pushing things out quite quickly while I have the drive to do so.

I think I'll have to stick to PDF for now (and love the way LyX lays things out) but I'll take it on board for when the scripting slows down and the guide needs TLC.

No donations necessary. I won't take a penny for this
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #33
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
This brings up a question from me, as one of your early adopters...I've downloaded everything a few times over the past couple of weeks but am wondering if I now need to remove anything I've installed or whether going the Reapack route will overwrite whatever I've downloaded earlier with the latest versions?
Good question. I think you can just delete the existing scripts from the Actions window, re-sync and reinstall latest offerings (BethHarmon_Classical). Now that everything is Lua I can't see things changing too much.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #34
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Good question. I think you can just delete the existing scripts from the Actions window, re-sync and reinstall latest offerings (BethHarmon_Classical). Now that everything is Lua I can't see things changing too much.
Great, will do! Thank you again for this amazing work.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #35
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I updated the guide to be ready for 6.54 which has changed the way you set overlapping items and lanes. For now: https://paste.pics/GO2JP
That's great, thank you. I guess it's a gentle reminder that we'll need to be watchful when new Reaper versions appear, that functionality of shortcuts etc is retained and not broken...the price of vigilance I guess !
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #36
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
That's just the required framerate for redbook CDs (there's a footnote about it in the manual); I assume you can ignore if you're not going to be creating CDs.
Since I actually do video editing in Reaper, I'll probably adjust it for my camera settings. I'm wondering if this set of classical editing scripts would lend itself to video/audio combined editing...where multiple audio takes also had a camera capturing the session ?

For more on how this works, see Chapter 20 of the Reaper User Guide: "Using REAPER with Video"

I'm not sure how well audio crossfades would translate in the visual realm however...probably far more noticeable ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #37
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I'm wondering if this set of classical editing scripts would lend itself to video/audio combined editing...where multiple audio takes also had a camera capturing the session ?
That's an interesting question. Ironically, source-destination editing (aka 3-point and 4-point editing) is a feature of every non-linear video editor (e.g., DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere, Lightworks, Final Cut Pro, Avid etc.); it's a standard tool in video editing. So having it in Reaper is sort of bringing everything around full circle, especially since I remember reading that Reaper itself was inspired by Justin's work with an NLE (I think it was Vegas)
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:47 PM   #38
chmaha
Human being with feelings
 
chmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,295
Default

I promise things are slowing down for a bit but if you sync ReaPack you'll find two new scripts for vertical recording/editing:

BethHarmon_Create Source Groups and link vol & pan.lua
Create your first folder of tracks then run the script. It creates 6 source groups based off your destination/master folder track, links volume and pan and hides everything in the mixer save for the first group.

BethHarmon_auto_solo.lua
This is the replacement for the previous me2beats script which needed the group parameter stuff commented out for it to work with linked group parameters.

So, the plan is to rest here in terms of functionality and let people use the scripts, fix any oddities that might surface, add text to the guide to catch up with the development, and make some tutorial videos. I also have more ideas but they can wait for a while

Last edited by chmaha; 04-12-2022 at 03:30 PM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #39
studer58
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
I promise things are slowing down for a bit but if you sync ReaPack you'll find two new scripts for vertical recording/editing………
So, the plan is to rest here in terms of functionality and let people use the scripts, fix any oddities that might surface, add text to the guide to catch up with the development, and make some tutorial videos. I also have more ideas but they can wait for a while
For myself, the various options (eg vertical vs horizontal alignment, amongst many others) are impressive yet perplexing, and have outstretched the various illustrations and clear descriptions in the PDF guide….therefore I’m hoping the video tutorials will bring these to life in a very valuable ‘catch-up’ kind of way….so their time has truly arrived!
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #40
bjohn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
For myself, the various options (eg vertical vs horizontal alignment, amongst many others) are impressive yet perplexing
The "horizontal" approach is what you get when you record one long timeline of sequential takes, one take after the other, either in a DAW or a field recorder. In Uros Baric's video demo of the older S/D editing script he had a timeline that was 10 hours long. This is generally what I do too, both when I record into a DAW and when I use a recorder on location.

The "vertical" approach is to have the takes lined up vertically so they all start at the beginning of the timeline, which makes it easier to find the same passage across alternative takes: you just look down instead of hunting to the right and left across horizontal takes that can stretch on for hours (but are separated by markers for easy navigation). The vertical takes obviously won't line up perfectly due to differences in tempo across takes, but this comes a little closer, at least in terms of visual alignment, to the comping workflow typically used when music is recorded to a click track.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.