Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
jams3223
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper breaks plugins after 6.71 update

After the reaper 6.71 update, it broke a lot of my plugin, and also smeared they're frequency response and also made them misbehave when oversampling them.

Here's the plugin flywheel as an example.

Before:

After:
jams3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

hmm do you have auto-bypass on silence enabled for the project and/or the individual plug-in(s)?
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
jams3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
hmm do you have auto-bypass on silence enabled for the project and/or the individual plug-in(s)?
No i don't have any auto-bypass on silence option enable at all. it's very weird that it started to happen after this update, that's why i rolled back, probably a issue with the resampling mode.

Also when i load it in Fl studio, Cubase and Metaplugin it doesn't have this issue.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Does it happen with oversampling disabled or just with oversampling enabled?

Can you post a simple .rpp with media and some freely-available plug-in instance that renders different in 6.70 vs 6.71? Thanks

Last edited by Justin; 12-16-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #5
jams3223

Quote:
Does it happen with oversampling disabled or just with oversampling enabled?

Can you post a simple .rpp with media and some freely-available plug-in instance that renders different in 6.70 vs 6.71? Thanks
It happens with oversampling disabled and when enabled it gets worse.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

post a test project!
Old 12-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
jams3223

Quote:
post a test project!
I don't know if you have the plugin so i could upload the reaper project with the plugin inserted, because it happen regardless when starting a blank project or should i take a screenshot of my project settings, i don't understand.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #8
clepsydrae

I think this is what Justin is asking for: you said that the issue happens for multiple plugins... are there any that are free, at least to download and try, if not totally free? If so, make a project with a small bit of audio in it that demonstrates how the rendering is different between the two versions of reaper. You'll need to upload the .RPP file and the audio clip that it uses somewhere. If the plugin is free to download somewhere Justin can install it himself and try to replicate the issue.

(Edit: if you need an upload location, try stash.reaper.fm or use any other site you like.)

(If there are no free plugins that demonstrate the issue, Justin may be able to contact the developer of one of the plugins for a copy, etc, but I imagine it'd be simpler to avoid that if there is a free plugin that exhibits the issue.)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

thanks clepsydrae yes what they said ^^^
Old 12-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
nofish

Flywheel plugin (mentioned in opening post) is available as 14 days trial without any restrictions (https://fuseaudiolabs.de/#/pages/product?id=300989942).

So that should be ok using for a test project I think.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
jams3223

Quote:
thanks clepsydrae yes what they said ^^^
Justin you can try a demo of the plugin, sorry i just didn't understood.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Thanks, testing.

What I determined was that Flywheel doesn't process silence correctly when we inform it that a particular channel is silent using the input silenceFlag field of VST3 (in 6.70 we didn't report silence in this way, we would only set the silenceFlag if the pin wasn't connected).

You can enable "Buggy plug-in" compatibility setting to work around this. I'll send the developer an email.

Last edited by Justin; 12-16-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:56 PM   #13
fmL

Quote:
Thanks, testing.

What I determined was that Flywheel doesn't process silence correctly when we inform it that a particular channel is silent using the input silenceFlag field of VST3 (in 6.70 we didn't report silence in this way, we would only set the silenceFlag if the pin wasn't connected).

You can enable "Buggy plug-in" compatibility setting to work around this. I'll send the developer an email.
is it possible to have Reaper detect whether or not a particular plugin should be run in "buggy plug-in" mode and then have it prompt the user? or maybe an option to switch back to the way silence was implemented in 6.70 without having to downgrade to 6.70. it will be kind of a pain to have to check every plugin from every developer and then report it here on the forum so you can then email them and hope they address it.

there seems to be many new issues popping up with 6.71.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
is it possible to have Reaper detect whether or not a particular plugin should be run in "buggy plug-in" mode and then have it prompt the user? or maybe an option to switch back to the way silence was implemented in 6.70 without having to downgrade to 6.70. it will be kind of a pain to have to check every plugin from every developer and then report it here on the forum so you can then email them and hope they address it.

there seems to be many new issues popping up with 6.71.
There seem to be so many plug-ins that are buggy in this way (stemming from bugs in the VST3 SDK), perhaps we'll just revert these optimizations
Old 12-17-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
jams3223

Quote:
There seem to be so many plug-ins that are buggy in this way (stemming from bugs in the VST3 SDK), perhaps we'll just revert these optimizations
Glad to hear it's a VST3 SDK plugin bug Justin, so the plugin developers have to update their plugin to work correctly.
I am also gonna report it back to plugin company who have this bug and ways to fix this based on you pinpointing the problem, fuse just send me a beta test of the plugin with the issue fixed.

Last edited by jams3223; 12-17-2022 at 01:46 PM.