Old 04-23-2023, 02:29 AM   #1
Flint_6
Human being with feelings

Default Bug When Normalizing Audio

Hi

Situation:
I have several regions or a time selection that I want to render. The tracks have a reverb plugin.

When I render them WITHOUT normalization, it is correctly rendered. The start of the rendered file is SILENT.

When I render WITH normalization, the reverb tail is applied to the FRONT of the render, as if I had 2nd Pass Render turned on.

Expectation:
When I ONLY turn on Normalization, I expect a clean start of the render, but brought to the specified loudness. I DON'T expect a reverb tail to be in the beginning.

Reproduction:
Add a track with an obvious reverb plugin.
Create a time selection that leaves 1 sec of silence in front of the clip and goes until the middle of the sound clip.
Turn off 2nd pass and normalization.
Render and observe the 1sec preroll is in fact silent.

In the normalization window turn on Brickwall limit.
Render it again.
Observe the 1s preroll is no longer silent. It has the reverb tail added!

To me this is wrong behaviour. I would expect the reverb tail to be added when I select 2nd Pass Render. But NOT when I just normalize.

See example:
https://www.airwiggles.com/c/questio...en-normalizing
Flint_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:15 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Confirmed that this does occur when normalizing during render, but note that it only happens when rendering to a video format. We will think about the best way to handle this.

Additional context: when rendering to an audio-only format, the way it works is that first a temporary, lossless floating point file is written to disk, then that file is read back, normalized, and written to the final output format, which is typically much faster than processing the entire project twice. With video, though, there's no such thing as a lossless format really so instead the project is rendered twice, as if 2nd pass render was enabled. So the issue you are seeing only arises when rendering to a video format.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:21 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Note that you can temporarily suppress the FX tails by enabling Preferences/Audio/Playback/Flush FX when looping.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
Flint_6
Human being with feelings

Thanks for this workaround and confirmation schwa!
Flint_6 is offline   Reply With Quote