Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-29-2023, 09:29 PM   #1
akademie
Human being with feelings

Default Invalid render parameters and error message when output format unavailable

There are invalid render parameters and wrong/misleading error message when output format (saved in project) is not available (e.g. exists only on Mac and project is opened on Win/Linux to render where the specific codec (e.g. "MPEG-4/MOV (macOS 10.7+ AVFoundation)" I think) is not available.

Then render is not performed with wrong/incorrect error message that "Error: Unable to create output file ...." and "The target drive/path does not exist, is unavailable, or is in use." which is not true - path and filename are both OK, it is the missing codec which invalidates whole render process.

It can be (???) because the WAV format does not offer any options, which is not normal, so if you re-select the codec... all options are revealed and render is performed OK, without error.

Last edited by akademie; 08-29-2023 at 09:41 PM.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
akademie

Only re-quoting two main posts from other older thread about this problem, for better insight into that.

Can not render one project "target drive/path does not exist"
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=272331

Original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by score100 View Post
Hi,
so I have this one project and the issue is ONLY with this one project. Whenever I try to render it I get the error message below.

The target path does however exist and I can render from other projects. Trying to save to a different drive shows the same result.

The one thing that sets this project apart from others is that I worked on it on a different machine for a while. That was a mac machine while I use Linux.

However I don't see how that can be an issue. The same file format is used, only stock-plugins and there is no missing audio files either. Also I can't acces the other machine where I temporary used the project in as it is in a studio in another country.

Hope someone can help

My reply after some experimenting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
It does not render even on my system here (Win10).

But I get it working

It seems the problem is that the Output format selection is corrupted in some way in the project file (by the Mac probably). So if you re-select the WAV from dropdown selector again it will reveal all the parameters that were not shown before and the render will perform successfully.

BTW, what format did you render on Mac? I think we are back to my post about the missing Mac format in Win/Linux, but it was not the secondary but the primary one.

It is the shame that Reaper does not report itself correct error meassage.
In the RPP project file, there is an entry of render format, but also the section <RENDER CFG with encoded parameters string and this is what sets the format,
in case of your file it is

Code:
  <RENDER_CFG
    RlZBWAIAAAAAAAAAAAgAAAEAAACAAAAAgAcAADgEAAAAAPBBAQAAAF8AAAA=
  >
Reaper should know that there is something wrong and not to display WAV selection, but instead none or such. But in any case it shows WAV, but no other parameters below so it may be sign of problem for us the users at least.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

fixed in latest pre

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:56 AM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
fixed in latest pre
I saw it also few minutes ago , but I am not near my Windows machine, so I will try the new pre- later... and will report.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:03 PM   #5
akademie

Yes, in v7.0pre14 the correct error message is now presented when such situation happens.

I am re-posting my reaction from 7.0pre14 Pre-Release thread with additional ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Thanks for error message. It is informative now.

I have 2 things to report:

1) There is missing period at the end of a sentence.

2) It would be more correct if the selection of the format was rather "blank" (no format pre-selected when such situation arise),
because there may be still some confusion when the format is chosen, but its parameters are not presented (like on this screenshot)

and it has to be manually re-selected to reveal the parameters settings for the format (like on this another screenshot)
Old 09-01-2023, 11:09 AM   #6
Meo-Ada Mespotine

On 2)

I would prefer the right format being shown but greyed out or with a note "not available on Windows" or whatever system.
There might be good reasons to retain the render-settings, if one wants to rerender using the original settings on the original system.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #7
akademie

^^^^ Yes, that would be the best option if possible, easily doable.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:06 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

That's not really doable, as the format configuration itself is a chunk of data that can only be read by the sink writer, which might have been provided by a plugin, so REAPER might not even have any information about what it should be called in the dropdown. What we can probably do is leave the dropdown blank if the saved render format isn't supported on the current machine.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
...<snip>
What we can probably do is leave the dropdown blank if the saved render format isn't supported on the current machine.
Well, that would be perfect then (given the deeper insight you provided).
Thanks schwa.