Old 11-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #1
Alez156
Human being with feelings

Default Script Request: Divide MIDI notes into equal segments

Hi friends!

Would it be possible to create a script that will split/join the notes into more and more equal divisions as you move your mouse wheel up and down?

Here's a video of this amazing feature in Ableton → https://youtu.be/e_ONBHtNAgU?t=49

Thank you
Old 11-28-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
tonalstates

hahah literally saw this yesterday and saved it for a request also xD it looks awesome, if the little number box could be imitated it would be awesome.
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #3
Vagelis

Hi Alez, this is something that I wanted for very long time too. Erik has created a wonderful script, still in beta: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=56

In the past I made a mousewheel script with the help from Solger: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=18

But it works only for single notes and bit buggy. Erik's script works for multiple notes and can adjust slices with faders from script GUI. Also includes more features.

*Also Made a FR lately :P
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=285443
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Hi Alez, this is something that I wanted for very long time too. Erik has created a wonderful script, still in beta: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=56

In the past I made a mousewheel script with the help from Solger: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=18

But it works only for single notes and bit buggy. Erik's script works for multiple notes and can adjust slices with faders from script GUI. Also includes more features.

*Also Made a FR lately :P
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=285443
Hi Vagelis! wow!! – Erik's script looks so goood. I will try it out!

And yea, I was hoping for a GUIless solution like the mousewheel script you have going. I am +1 your FR cause that'd be super useful.

I mostly want this for quickly audition different rhythms for cymbals/perc.
So having it as a quick mousewheel thing (just like the grid size mousewheel script) would speed up the workflow a lot!
Old 11-28-2023, 08:34 AM   #5
Vagelis

Yes I agree for drum editing and leads it's game changer for the workflow.

Maybe we could try ask Erik if would be possible to export just the split function into a mousewheel script?

And thx for supporting the request!
Old 11-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #6
erikmartinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alez156 View Post
Hi Vagelis! wow!! – Erik's script looks so goood. I will try it out!

And yea, I was hoping for a GUIless solution like the mousewheel script you have going. I am +1 your FR cause that'd be super useful.

I mostly want this for quickly audition different rhythms for cymbals/perc.
So having it as a quick mousewheel thing (just like the grid size mousewheel script) would speed up the workflow a lot!
Hey Alez! Yes, I started making myself something reminiscent of a mouse modifier that does something similar, soon I will publish it as a separate file here and also, for accessibility, I will upload it to my repository
erikmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmartinez View Post
Hey Alez! Yes, I started making myself something reminiscent of a mouse modifier that does something similar, soon I will publish it as a separate file here and also, for accessibility, I will upload it to my repository
Yaaaaay Erik!!! this is amazing news, thank you thank youuu! 🤩
Old 11-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
erikmartinez

Quote:
See how it works: assign a button + mouse wheel to the script, then select a note (or several notes), then move the wheel up or down depending on the number of splits. When you select a different note and run the script again, it forgets about the previous broken notes, working only in the new context. Let me know if anything goes wrong!
Old 11-28-2023, 10:20 PM   #9
erikmartinez

Quote:
I uploaded a more optimized version to the repack, you can try it. Here is a gif with an example of use (if I understood you correctly initially):
Old 11-29-2023, 12:12 AM   #10
abnegative

Quote:
I uploaded a more optimized version to the repack, you can try it. Here is a gif with an example of use (if I understood you correctly initially):
I just tried this out and it's a game changer! Thank you!
I would love to have something similar for your "Offset" function. Not sure how practical that is since it has cubic/quadratic parameters.
abnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:23 AM   #11
erikmartinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnegative View Post
I would love to have something similar for your "Offset" function. Not sure how practical that is since it has cubic/quadratic parameters.
To set "offset" you will need either an additional input field or a second parameter/slider. So the best solution is to use the GUI MIDI Chopper, as it can allow you to change the descend/rise, offset and velocity interpolation in a more interesting way. If the problem is in imgui, you can try to move it to the native GUI or to the same rtk which is supplied additionally via MVarious .

Last edited by erikmartinez; 11-30-2023 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:07 AM   #12
Vagelis

Quote:
Yes it would be nice if possible, then we could have shift+mousewheel to split and ctrl/shift-mousewheel to bend for example. But still it's fine as is

Thanks again Erik, works good after a quick test. It will replace my old way of doing this with the mousewheel. And I think midi chopper and mousewheel script could have their own thread at some point, both are useful.

Cheers!
Old 11-29-2023, 01:21 AM   #13
erikmartinez

Quote:
Yes it would be nice if possible, then we could have shift+mousewheel to split and ctrl/shift-mousewheel to bend for example. But still it's fine as is

Thanks again Erik, works good after a quick test. It will replace my old way of doing this with the mousewheel. And I think midi chopper and mousewheel script could have their own thread at some point, both are useful.

Cheers!
After a little thought, I realized that this is quite possible, because I use SetExtState and GetExtState to save notes between code runs, so now it seems to me that this is possible. I'll try to do this soon after lunch
Upd: this will work in the context of one selected note or several notes, if you select another and then return, both scripts will stop working “together”
Old 11-29-2023, 01:36 AM   #14
abnegative

Quote:
To set "offset" you will need either an additional input field or a second parameter/slider. So the best solution is to use the GUI MIDI Chopper, as it can allow you to change the descend/rise, offset and velocity interpolation in a more interesting way. If the problem is in imgui, you can try to move it to the native GUI or to the same rtk which is supplied additionally via MVarious.
Whenever I try to use MIDI Chopper I get this error:
Code:
...Scripts/ReaperScripts/MIDI Editor/mrtnz_MIDI chopper.lua:361: ImGui_SetNextWindowSize: ImGui assertion failed: (0) && "Could not load font file!"
Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to move to a different GUI library. Anyway I'm happy with the non-GUI splitter and was just hopeful for a non-GUI offset action.

EDIT: After I posted this message I saw you post that offset is possible!
Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 AM   #15
erikmartinez

Quote:
Whenever I try to use MIDI Chopper I get this error:
Code:
...Scripts/ReaperScripts/MIDI Editor/mrtnz_MIDI chopper.lua:361: ImGui_SetNextWindowSize: ImGui assertion failed: (0) && "Could not load font file!"
Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to move to a different GUI library. Anyway I'm happy with the non-GUI splitter and was just hopeful for a non-GUI offset action.

EDIT: After I posted this message I saw you post that offset is possible!
yes I think it's possible, for now try the new update - -- @version 1.212 for MIDI Chopper updating my repository, I tried using different fonts. This will help make the script more universal for other users, thank you!
Old 11-29-2023, 02:05 AM   #16
abnegative

Quote:
yes I think it's possible, for now try the new update - -- @version 1.212 for MIDI Chopper updating my repository, I tried using different fonts. This will help make the script more universal for other users, thank you!
I just tried the update and got the same error. I don't plan on using the GUI anyway in my workflow, so it's no problem for me.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:19 AM   #17
Thomas Schwab

The Script is awesome. Thank you Erik for this timesaver.
Thomas Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:04 AM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
After a little thought, I realized that this is quite possible, because I use SetExtState and GetExtState to save notes between code runs, so now it seems to me that this is possible. I'll try to do this soon after lunch
Upd: this will work in the context of one selected note or several notes, if you select another and then return, both scripts will stop working “together”
Nice nice, also at work now will test it soon when I'm done. I d like to ask, I like a lot that the mousewheel script works for selected items. Could this be done for the GUI script as well, so that it doesn't need to hit get notes each time but to do automatically for every new selection?
Old 11-29-2023, 05:52 AM   #19
erikmartinez

Quote:
Friends, we did it! You can use these two scripts together using two hotkey+wheel mouse to create. You can get these two scripts in 1.015 update
Name in re-pack - Split note to equal parts(mousewheel ctx)
After installing this version you will have two new scripts in the action list:
1. Script: mrtnz_split selected notes to equal(mousewheel ctx).lua - allows you to split a note into equal parts as you move the mouse wheel and bring it back again
2. Script: mrtnz_split selected notes to equal(mousewheel ctx).lua - allows to shift previously processed notes by the first script to the right or left. Example usage:
Old 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM   #20
Alez156

THIS IS INCREDIBLE, Erik!!! 👏
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUUUCH 🤩
Old 11-29-2023, 05:56 AM   #21
erikmartinez

Quote:
Nice nice, also at work now will test it soon when I'm done. I d like to ask, I like a lot that the mousewheel script works for selected items. Could this be done for the GUI script as well, so that it doesn't need to hit get notes each time but to do automatically for every new selection?
Yes, Vagelis, it is possible, but I tried to optimize and speed up the work of note splitting as much as possible. When we get a note via a button, we can delete the note, modify it and then insert the split instance as resource-intensive as possible. Since there are several settings with velocity, note descent and interpolation, we get crackles and heavy load because of the speed of the operation. But you brought up a good idea to create a toggle for the two methods of saving notes, I will write it down and implement it in the next update, why not ? - as they say
Old 11-29-2023, 07:03 AM   #22
Vagelis

Awesome looking forward, also just tested the two mousewheel scripts, for sure they're now part of my basic setup, thanks!
Old 11-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #23
Vagelis

Just noticed that the script to bend the notes doesn't work when selecting e.g two notes and then applying bend. But it works when splitting the notes with the split script first and then use bending.

Old 11-29-2023, 08:55 AM   #24
abnegative

Quote:
Friends, we did it! You can use these two scripts together using two hotkey+wheel mouse to create. You can get these two scripts in 1.015 update
Thank you!
Old 11-29-2023, 09:36 AM   #25
abnegative

Quote:
Just noticed that the script to bend the notes doesn't work when selecting e.g two notes and then applying bend. But it works when splitting the notes with the split script first and then use bending.

That's the first thing I tested too. I could be wrong, but... to me it looks there needs to be some state captured for the bend to act on.

If there was a way to have an always-running script (_startup.eel) that captures a new state any time note selection is modified, then I believe you can bend without splitting first.

Edit: Or maybe the bend script could first capture selected note state before running (just thinking out loud).
Old 11-29-2023, 11:02 AM   #26
Alez156

Ye, if the add-on script could be a standalone script would be super useful, if it's not too much to ask of course
Old 11-29-2023, 11:53 AM   #27
erikmartinez

Quote:

In fact, the script (offset) with the help of the first script - Split notes, allows you to fix a note or group of notes in order to create the necessary displacement. I can try to create an individual script which would follow the same logic to first get a group of notes with the same length (to avoid bugs in case one note is too short, then the interpolation of deviation won't look proper), and then by shifting the start and end lengths of the notes. But in this case, we won't be able to make new changes after splitting the notes, limiting ourselves only to the deviation after splitting. In this case, it's better to organize this in a graphical window, or we can try to create an individual script as I described above for deviating notes of the same length and mixing the starting and ending positions, but then there must be a condition - the notes must be before the start of the next one (like legato). Overall, there are logical nuances, but with your advice, we can achieve the desired result, feel free to leave suggestions.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:34 PM   #28
abnegative

Quote:
In fact, the script (offset) with the help of the first script - Split notes, allows you to fix a note or group of notes in order to create the necessary displacement. I can try to create an individual script which would follow the same logic to first get a group of notes with the same length (to avoid bugs in case one note is too short, then the interpolation of deviation won't look proper), and then by shifting the start and end lengths of the notes. But in this case, we won't be able to make new changes after splitting the notes, limiting ourselves only to the deviation after splitting. In this case, it's better to organize this in a graphical window, or we can try to create an individual script as I described above for deviating notes of the same length and mixing the starting and ending positions, but then there must be a condition - the notes must be before the start of the next one (like legato). Overall, there are logical nuances, but with your advice, we can achieve the desired result, feel free to leave suggestions.
The more I think about it, it really does make sense to have the offset work in conjunction with the split (given the required pre-conditions). In the event you want to apply offset to multiple notes, you can pretty quickly join the notes (J) then split, then offset. Joining first is a bit redundant, but the whole process is so smooth that the join step seems negligible.

I noticed that the interpolation is hardcoded to quadratic. Perhaps there could be an action that uses SetExtState() to select the type of interpolation. That way we also get access to cubic interpolation. Maybe other interpolation curves could even be supported.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:55 PM   #29
Vagelis

Quote:
I've tested your split script with multi-tool and worked very very well together.

But I guess the script gets the new selection of notes each time when running it. Maybe having a toggle action to switch from split to bend to get the new notes could help in this case?

Edit: In any case I'm fine with current behavior too, thx

Last edited by Vagelis; 11-29-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:19 AM   #30
erikmartinez

Quote:
I've tested your split script with multi-tool and worked very very well together.

But I guess the script gets the new selection of notes each time when running it. Maybe having a toggle action to switch from split to bend to get the new notes could help in this case?

Edit: In any case I'm fine with current behavior too, thx
Yes, in that case you'll need something native that resembles a GUI too. I'll think about it, but in the meantime I'm interested in how you did note shifting with visualization using the modifier handler?

edit: I figured it out!

Last edited by erikmartinez; 11-30-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:46 AM   #31
Vagelis

Quote:
Yes, in that case you'll need something native that resembles a GUI too. I'll think about it, but in the meantime I'm interested in how you did note shifting with visualization using the modifier handler?

edit: I figured it out!
It's the multi tool script by Julian Sander. I think you guys have made the best midi tools for Reaper. Unfortunately Julian is not active lately. He also made the JS API, maybe could help to check for this kind of GUI.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:54 AM   #32
Vagelis

Links:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212174

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176878

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=253687

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177437
Old 11-30-2023, 03:14 AM   #33
erikmartinez

Yes, I forgot about the wonderful midi tools from juliansader, but most of my scripts are built on js api
Old 11-30-2023, 10:03 AM   #34
manthosdm

That's so, SO cool!!!!

Any case a mod could be made for us fellas who want to use it in the exact same way... but with audio/midi items on the arrange view?
manthosdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:05 AM   #35
AfonsoPereira

Default How do i install this? pls help

idk how i install this. what do i do with the link?
(this link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Er...ster/index.xml )

Quote:
AfonsoPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #36
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfonsoPereira View Post
idk how i install this. what do i do with the link?
(this link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Er...ster/index.xml )
1) Download ReaPack: https://reapack.com/
2) Copy it into the "UserPlugins" folder then restart REAPER.
3) At the top of REAPER go to Extensions > ReaPack > Import repositories...
4) Paste the link in the box that pos up and click OK.
5) Now you have the packages from the repo link and you can use the same ReaPack menu to install whatever you packages you want.

*If you're on a Mac, you'll have to go into security settings after step 2 to allow the ReaPack extension to run, then restart REAPER and continue to step 3.

Once you do all that you'll find the goodies in your Scripts folder.
Old 12-04-2023, 01:34 PM   #37
Reflected

Quote:
Name in re-pack - Split note to equal parts(mousewheel ctx)
After installing this version you will have two new scripts in the action list:
1. Script: mrtnz_split selected notes to equal(mousewheel ctx).lua - allows you to split a note into equal parts as you move the mouse wheel and bring it back again
2. Script: mrtnz_split selected notes to equal(mousewheel ctx).lua - allows to shift previously processed notes by the first script to the right or left. Example usage:
how do you actually use the mousewheel on this?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:17 PM   #38
erikmartinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
how do you actually use the mousewheel on this?
Hey! If I understand you correctly, the mouse wheel is assigned in the action lists like any other shortcut. Thanks to @Alez156 for his great video about this script.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:35 PM   #39
Seventh Sam

This is a wonderful script! I'll be using it a lot. Thank you very much for making it.
Seventh Sam is offline   Reply With Quote