Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-12-2023, 06:11 AM   #1
ampetrosillo
Human being with feelings

Default Option to move automatic cross-fades left of the split point

Currently REAPER 7 places an automatic cross-fade after the split point when splitting items. Placing it left would be much more convenient when comping drums, for instance, or anything with heavy transients. Ideally you want the split to be as close to the transient as possible.
ampetrosillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:19 AM   #2
andyp24

+1 for speech editing too, for the same reason
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:05 PM   #3
trtzbass

Yes please.

It would make so much sense when editing drums with a TAB to transient / split workflow.

Thank you!

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
trtzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:15 PM   #4
X-Raym

+1000
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:26 AM   #5
h31k0

+1

maybe there could be an option control that can be set in the preferences (as well as via the action list for possible scripting usage), such as:

Upon splitting create automatic cross-fade...
[ ] ...left of split point
[ ] ...at the center of split point
[ ] ...right of split point
h31k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:45 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

These existing split actions with 'select left' in the name, for example 'Item: Split items at edit cursor (select left)', will crossfade to the left of the split point.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:19 AM   #7
h31k0

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
These existing split actions with 'select left' in the name, for example 'Item: Split items at edit cursor (select left)', will crossfade to the left of the split point.
thanks schwa!

/EDIT:
So, there are the following actions available which (with auto-crossfade on split toggled on) all seem to create the crossfade right of the split point (apart from the one you already mentioned):

Item: Split items at edit cursor (no change selection)
Item: Split items at edit cursor (select left)
Item: Split items at edit cursor (select right)
Item: Split items at edit or play cursor
Item: Split items at edit or play cursor (ignoring grouping)

I would love to be able to have the crossfade occur at the center of the split point.
I suggest to either have options that can be set in the preferences (as well via actions) (as mentioned in my previous post) or - if that's easier or more feasible - additional actions to the ones we already have.
Thoughts?

:-)

Last edited by h31k0; 04-12-2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:58 AM   #8
X-Raym

@schwa
These actions are not enough, we miss "at mouse mouse cursor", it also doesnt work for SplitMediaItem API function, that is why I think it would be better to have a global preference for cross-fade position. This will reflectd on other split action like Split at grif timeline etc.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:15 AM   #9
schwa
Administrator

There would be all kinds of pitfalls with a global preference, because the crossfade side is already context dependent. For example, splitting at the time selection crossfades to the right of the time selection start and to the left of the time selection end.

But we can add an action to split at mouse cursor (select left) [edit: the action 'Item: Split item under mouse cursor (select left)' already exists], and look at adding a parameter to the API function as well. If there is enough call for it would could add actions that center the crossfade at the split point as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h31k0 View Post
there are the following actions available which (with auto-crossfade on split toggled on) all seem to create the crossfade right of the split point (apart from the one you already mentioned):

Item: Split items at edit cursor (select left)
Pretty sure all of the 'select left' actions, including that one, crossfade to the left of the split point. We can change the descriptions of these actions to be like 'Item: Split items at edit cursor (select/crossfade left)' to be clearer.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:23 PM   #10
h31k0

- I understand the possible pitfalls with a global preference and the probable effort that comes along with implementing the 3 beforementioned options (your time selection example, razor edits come to mind, etc.). If actions that center the crossfade at the split point could (rather easily) be added I (and possibly others) would really appreciate it. Apart from that it would add to REAPER's versatility and completion in providing all possible auto-crossfades upon splitting: left, center and right.

- Furthermore API function parameter additions are always welcome! ;-)

- I do appreciate the rename of the corresponding action(s) that came with the latest dev-version. this does make things clearer. thanks!
Quote:
+ Actions: clarify that split actions that select the left-hand item also crossfade to the left of the split point [t=286185]
Old 04-13-2024, 04:04 AM   #11
X-Raym

Note for those who are loocking to centered crossade or more control about what will be selected:

@schwa
Thx for the update on this, it is indeed clearer.

I guess some users will still miss a "centered" crossfade, or customization about what will be selected.

If you want to split from mouse cursor, you can use:

• Script: amagalma_Split item at mouse cursor position ( Define crossfade and selection settings ).lua

This will allow you to defined cross-fade setting for the other script
  • Script: amagalma_Split item at mouse cursor position ( use defined crossfade and selection settings ).lua
This could be an inspiration about what native user pref could be (and which could reflect on other action - for eg, Splt at timeline grid still only crossfade right, even in last pre) and API.

The script above are nice but only works for split under mouse, which is limited in scope.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #12
Ciarán

Some way of getting the crossfades to be created on the left of the start and end points when swipe-comping would be great too. For the same reasons as it being the desired behaviour when splitting (not eating into drum transients, etc.)

As requested by EpicSounds here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=676

And clarified by myself here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=695

If that's become natively possible since that conversation in September or soembody's made a script for it somebody please enlighten me!
Ciarán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:34 AM   #13
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

This certainly was NOT the case before. All actions used to split at the right side. Changing what the actions do, breaks scripts that used to work-around them in order to provide other behaviours..
Old 04-24-2024, 03:50 AM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
This certainly was NOT the case before. All actions used to split at the right side. Changing what the actions do, breaks scripts that used to work-around them in order to provide other behaviours..
No behaviors changed. It has always been the case that actions like 'Item: Split items at edit cursor (select left)' also crossfade to the left. The only change is to the action description text.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:19 AM   #15
amagalma

I am sorry!..I just checked v7.001 and you are right!.. I swear I thought they always crossfaded to the right..