Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
theo.ask
Human being with feelings

Default Recording with external MIDI keyboard

Hello,

I have bought a MIDI/USB adaptator to link my external MIDI keyboard to my computer and of course USING Reaper. I have built-in Realtek HD Audio and using Windows XP.

I use a Techniks KN 2000 set on General Midi.

So far I've been able to record a MIDI track but I haven't been able to send a signal to my keyboard (for playback of midi tracks)

It is strange because when I use another software such as VanBasco freeware I can see a "MIDI-MAPPER" device in peripherals but not in REAPER.And VanBasco can send the MIDI to my keyboard for playback (sounds really nice even in General MIDI)
I have the USB device as MIDI input and MIDI output but only the input works.

Evrytime I have to select my PC sound card to hear what I recorded.

Oh yes and also: i can't hear what I'm recording in real-time..No sound comes out from y keyboard nor from my computer so it's quite hard to play ithout hearing anything.

Do you have a solution?

4. How can I change the default Piano sound MIDI in REAPER? Are there any other MIDi soundsets in REAPER? Selecting other sounds on my keyboard is useless..It always comes out with the default Piano sound in REAPER..

I tried using VSTi plugins and instruments but it doesn't work. How can I do please?

MY OBJECTIVE is to record a nice movie music style and then use VST plugins to modify the track and sounds and also to add audio effects on seperate tracks.I also wish to add Soundfonts from the Internet to my MIDI track.

Thank you.

Last edited by theo.ask; 05-16-2009 at 07:02 AM.
theo.ask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
DarkStar

OK, so you have connected your MIDI keyboard via an adaptor to your system and can record the MIDi into a MIDI clip. Well, that's good progress. So don't worry, this can get sorted out.

The next thing is to send the MIDI to a synth of some sort. Here's a few things to try:

a) Use an internal synth
-- Add the ReaSynth FX to your track by clicking the [fx] button to open the FX browser, find ReaSynth and double-click it.
-- now click the Play button and you should hear a sound as the MIDI triggers ReaSynth.
-- It won't be anything like you're expecting but it's a start.

b) Use an external software synth
-- open the FX window again and remove ReaSynth
-- click [Options]. select Preferences, Audio, MIDI Devices and enable "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, click [OK]
-- click on the [io] button on the track, and under MIDI Hardware output, select the Microsoft synth
-- now click the Play button and you should hear a sound as the MIDI is sent out of Reaper to the synth.

c) Use your Technics KN 2000
-- click [Options]. select Preferences, Audio, MIDI Devices and disable "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth,
-- enable the device for your Techniks port,click [OK]
-- click on the [io] button on the track, and under MIDI Hardware output, select the Technics device
-- now click the Play button and you should hear a sound as the MIDI is sent out of Reaper to the keyboard synth.

d) Use a VSTi
-- click [Options]. select Preferences, Plugins, VST,
-- click [Add] and browse to the path where your VSTis (and VSTs) are, click [OK] (you can have several different paths)
-- click [Clear cache and rescan directory], and after a while click [OK]
-- now your VSTis and VSTs should be available in the FX browser
-- click the [fx] button to open the FX browser, find the VSTi you want to use and double-click it; if it's a sampler or ROMpler, load your instruments.
-- now click the Play button and you should hear a sound as the MIDI triggers the VSTi.

Now, Reaper itself does not have any MIDI soundsets internally. What you're hearing is from somewhere else. The Piano Soundset is MIDI Program 01 - to hear another soundset you'll just need to send another Program number to the module creating the sound:
-- open the MIDI clip in the MIDI Editor by double-clicking it,
-- in the lower-left corner, you'll see a drop-down list showing "Velocity",
-- open the list and select "Bank/Program Selelct"
-- you should now see a row labelled "Bank/Program Change"
-- double-click it at the start of the piano roll
-- in the Bank drop-down list, select "General MIDI"
-- in the Program drop-down list, select the soundset you want to use, click [OK]

When your MIDI clip is played the Program Change is sent to the sound module and changes the sound used. Try this with your Technics as the output sound module

To use SoundFonts, you'll need a decent Soundfont Player. I'm sure that someone will suggest one for you to try.

HTH

================================================== ==========
And hello and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you purchase Nicholas' excellent User Guide and ReaMix docs too. Worth their weight in gold.

User Guide:.. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=6107
ReaMix:....... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=21309
Purchase:.... http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1374784
Distribution:. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27999

Nicholas has also written "Home Recording for Beginners", available at all good book shops:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31774

If you can, get hold of a copy of the Computer Music Beginner's Guide Special #32 - it's full of tutorials for beginners, using Reaper.

This site will ship it internationally: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-09-2009 at 08:26 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Now, Reaper itself does not have any MIDI soundsets internally. What you're hearing is from somewhere else. The Piano Soundset is MIDI Program 01 - to hear another soundset you'll just need to send another Program number to the module creating the sound:
-- you should see a row labelled "Bank/Program Change"
-- in the Program drop-down list, select the soundset you want to use, click [OK]

When your MIDI clip is played the Program Change is sent to the sound module and changes the sound used. Try this with your Technics as the output sound module
Right, this bit did not work for me. IF it does'nt work for you, try these steps instead:
-- click the [+] button in the lower-left corner, next to the Velocity drop-down list,
-- another lane appears, click the drop-down list and select Program
-- click (or double-click) at the start of the piano roll to insert a Program Change
-- drag it up/down to set the prgram value (you should see something like 0-0-27 in the Bank/Program lane)

Last edited by DarkStar; 05-16-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
theo.ask

Default Hello Darkstar

Hello,

Darkstar. You are very helpful thank you. (I had a PC video game called "Darkstar One", so I guess you must like piano :-) )

Anyway, do you know where I can find the corresponding instrument names for the General Mdi Banksets? For example 1 is Piano. What is 2 and up to 27?

Also another tricky question for you (more advanced question: I'M SORRY FOR THIS QUESTION: but it's a teenage dream... 15 years ago...) I wish to "download" or rather transfer my Techniks KN200 sounds to my PC (using REPAER?) so that I can modify them, enhance them and send them back to the keyboard.

Ok so that looks like I am asking to reprogram the keyboard which might not be possible (ROM is not writable...) But maybe there is a way...

So that I could expand my keyboard possibilities. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

I use a USB/MIDI cable: maybe a software (REAPER?) could disable my keyboard built in sound (can't control my keyboard volume with REAPER) and make other sounds audible: from my keyboard.

My goal? Play live on my keyboard using different soundsets/banks...(not necesarily GM). That's a dream for me sibce I stick qwith the same (gorgeous) KN 2000 sounds since 1995...

Last edited by theo.ask; 05-21-2009 at 10:37 AM.
theo.ask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo.ask View Post
Anyway, do you know where I can find the corresponding instrument names for the General Mdi Banksets? For example 1 is Piano. What is 2 and up to 27?
-- click the [+] button in the lower-left corner, next to the Velocity drop-down list,
-- another lane appears, click the drop-down list and select "Bank/Program select"
-- you should see a row labelled "Bank/Program select"

Here's another list:
http://www.asseca.com/darkstar/ext-cg/w-19.htm

And some MIDI tutorials:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo.ask View Post
Also another tricky question for you (more advanced question: I'M SORRY FOR THIS QUESTION: but it's a teenage dream... 15 years ago...) I wish to "download" or rather transfer my Techniks KN200 sounds to my PC (using REPAER?) so that I can modify them, enhance them and send them back to the keyboard.

Ok so that looks like I am asking to reprogram the keyboard which might not be possible (ROM is not writable...) But maybe there is a way...

So that I could expand my keyboard possibilities. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

I use a USB/MIDI cable: maybe a software (REAPER?) could disable my keyboard built in sound (can't control my keyboard volume with REAPER) and make other sounds audible: from my keyboard.

My goal? Play live on my keyboard using different soundsets/banks...(not necesarily GM). That's a dream for me since I stick with the same (gorgeous) KN 2000 sounds since 1995...
I don't think that that will be possible, You could sample each key for each sound from the keyboard, load the samples into a software sampler, map them to trigger notes and reprogram there, but that would be a very big task.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-12-2009 at 09:01 AM.