Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
jnastic
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 3 and Boot Camp

I'd like to use Reaper 3 with my MacBook Pro 13" in Boot Camp (Windows XP). This would allow me to use my collection of VST and VSTi.

Are Windows and Reaper in Boot Camp as good or better than on a regular PC ? How about latency and driver compatibility ?

Will I have any issues that I'd like to know about ? I'm new to the Mac OSX world.

Thank you for your answers.
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
yerbouti

I've tried once and haven't had any trouble.

"Are Windows and Reaper in Boot Camp as good or better than on a regular PC ? How about latency and driver compatibility ?"

Performance should be the same as on a regular PC. Note that you won't be 3 able to use more then 3gb of ram unless you install a 64bit version of winXP (which I wouldn't recommend) or windows vista (which I really wouldn't recommend).
As for drivers compatibility, there once was an issue with bootcamp and some firewire cards but it seems to be pretty much resolved now. Otherwise, you will get the same drivers issues that you would get on a regular PC.

(sorry for my english, not my native language)
yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Jones Gloomy

Used Reaper that way for a while. Everything worked fine, exept my soundcard (mackie onyx satellite) but i guess it was some driver issues.

Also like yerbouti said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbouti View Post
Note that you won't be 3 able to use more then 3gb of ram unless you install a 64bit version of winXP (which I wouldn't recommend) or windows vista (which I really wouldn't recommend).
As for drivers compa

Was also one reason i switched back to mac. But otherwise no problems whit it.

www.virb.com/jonesgloomy
Jones Gloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
dupont

switch to imac one year ago and window XP SP3 under bootcamp.
Works like a charm here, no driver issues, even if I have some glitches with my soundcard set to 512 Mo buffer, which I don't have with Ableton Live 8.
It seams to be a Reaper issue, but it works fine if I increase the buffer to 1024 Mo with more latency, which is not important for the style of music I compose (electronic)

Note : under Mac OSX (10.5.7) I can go as low than 64 Mo buffer with Logic 8 without any glitches or audio drops with the same soundcard.

But Logic is another story.......
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

Bootcamp worked fine when I used it for Reaper, much better than the mac build...I'm really unco on the mac version, plus the graphics have slowed right down in the latest release. I don't like working in it honestly.

I installed a pc version of Reaper on a parallels/dux build of XP, and the graphics fly! It works really well for editing actually, and of course the extension plugins work too. The audio only just works though and glitches occasionally, so I wouldn't track with it...but maybe edit. I really only use it to try out new pc-reaper builds without rebooting, and do the odd help screenshot.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I installed a pc version of Reaper on a parallels/dux build of XP, and the graphics fly! It works really well for editing actually, and of course the extension plugins work too. The audio only just works though and glitches occasionally, so I wouldn't track with it...but maybe edit. I really only use it to try out new pc-reaper builds without rebooting, and do the odd help screenshot.
Until a few weeks ago I used VirtualBox when I needed to do sth I couldn't in the Mac-version of Reaper (playback works without a glitch in XP under VirtualBox btw) but then I installed Reaper under Darwine and it works like a charm - do try it if you ever need to use PC Reaper on a Mac, beats virtualization by miles in my experience.

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
Bevosss

Location: Propaganda Now! 100% verified propaganda right here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
Until a few weeks ago I used VirtualBox when I needed to do sth I couldn't in the Mac-version of Reaper (playback works without a glitch in XP under VirtualBox btw) but then I installed Reaper under Darwine and it works like a charm - do try it if you ever need to use PC Reaper on a Mac, beats virtualization by miles in my experience.
Trying it but it's a bit unintuitive to me...I think I've installed it (dragged it to the applications folder)...now what? How do I install Reaper 3.04? And can I use asio4all, or only direct sound?

Cheers for any help Jonas.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Hmm, let's see if I remeber. I use the Darwine build from here http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

And most of the time I use PC applications that I have already installed on my BootCamped XP partition (by just navigating to them in Finder and double clicking on them). But I have installed one or two apps and if I remeber correctly all you have to do is double click the installer and the WineHelper and X11 starts automatically...

Regards,
- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 06-29-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
grizou

Hi,
why wouldnt you install the 64bit version of windows xp? are there compatibility issues?
Are there any infos about windows 7, how it works compared to XP?
Can you use the VSTs you installed on the Mac partition?
Is Bootcamp the most stable way with the best performance to run windows on a mac?
thank you for readin

Benni
grizou is offline   Reply With Quote