Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default Custom orchestral samples

I've been experimenting with creating some custom orchestral samples. As I don't have access to any real orchestras (alas!), I tried creating virtual sections from a ton of solo samples, each on a separate channel in REAPER with some room ambience added. I rendered the entire range of every section, split the rendered files up into into single notes, mapped them and... voilà.

Quick example.

Obviously it's not VSL quality or anything. But considering that the sections were all sandwiched together from a lot of so-so free samples, I must say it turned out a lot better than expected.

If you want to try 'em out, rough preliminary versions of the samples can be found here. Violins, celli and basses so far; chromatic multisamples, one velocity layer, unlooped (the notes sustain for ~10 seconds), SFZ format, stereo, 24 bit, 48kHz.

All thoughts, ideas and suggestions on improvements are very welcome. Other section samples are in the works, if anyone is interested I'll post them too.

Last edited by cerendir; 08-21-2009 at 12:02 PM.
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Klemperer

I have to say I love these kinds of experiments! Great idea all around... I am just about to download the strings.zip, thanks much for that. Download speed is about 85kb/sec here, so it will need roughly an hour (just reports 50kb/sec, so will last a bit longer, he he).

The sound example is, taken you used the "so - so" files, great! I sometimes think if a new master-composer was amongst us, and he'd use such sounds as yours for the instrumentation/his masterwork, that would be more than enough to convince an orchestra to - play it for real in a huge hall .

Thank you very much, if I can find anything to say what would improve this, I'd tell you (after trying it out - it's 6% now^^).
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
cerendir

Hey, you're welcome Klemperer. I'm just glad you like it! As mentioned though, this is experimental stuff and should be considered alpha quality. There's level discrepancies, tuning problem and god knows what else, but right now I'm just trying to get the basic building blocks in place. Just so you know, in case something sounds odd.

Here's something more to play around with:

Horns!

Four horns, two velocity layers (pp/ff). Trying a more subtle room ambience this time, as the one on the strings seems to eat up the attack portion of the sounds.

BTW, does anyone know how to go about making mod wheel crossfades in SFZ files?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
audioguytodd

Thanks. Downloading now.

I always am interested in anything orchestral or symphonic.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
nofish

This is cool.
I like the example you've posted.
Thanks a lot for sharing. What especially attracts me is the "roughness" as you call it, because, as I do more urban styles music, real orchestral samples are often too clean.

However, if I could make a small suggestion, I'd prefer the samples as dry as possible (without room ambience), because I always add my own room ambience anyway and this strongly depends on the rest of the mix. I think the samples would be more flexible without pre-added room ambience.

Thanks again.

Last edited by nofish; 08-19-2009 at 03:43 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
jamieskeen

interesting, downloading myself to check out...
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Matthias King

Damn! Not bad!
Matthias King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
cerendir

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
However, if I could make a small suggestion, I'd prefer the samples as dry as possible (without room ambience), because I always add my own room ambience anyway and this strongly depends on the rest of the mix. I think the samples would be more flexible without pre-added room ambience.
Yes, I agree. The ambience on the strings definitely needs to be more subtle. Completely dry is not a good idea though as some slight ambience is needed to glue everything together; without it it just sounds like... well, layered solo instruments, not a section.

OTOH, it would not be a whole lot more work providing two versions of each section with different ambiences, like "close mic" and "stage mic" you know. I could just render with different presets. In fact, that might not be a bad idea.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post

OTOH, it would not be a whole lot more work providing two versions of each section with different ambiences, like "close mic" and "stage mic" you know. I could just render with different presets. In fact, that might not be a bad idea.
If you don't mind the extra work, this would be really nice.

Quote:
Completely dry is not a good idea though as some slight ambience is needed to glue everything together; without it it just sounds like... well, layered solo instruments, not a section.
I feel a bit strange arguing about something that's given away for free, but nevertheless I'd like to point out my opinion, please don't feel offended:

I know that complete dry samples sound strange and unnatural. But I use an ambience/reverb bus anyway for the rest of my instruments in a song to glue everything together. I think it's makes more sense using the same ambience for every instrument (instead of a different, prerecorded one). That's why I personally always prefer dry samples.

Anyway, no matter how you decide to do it, it's much appreciated.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
marce

Hi Cerendir.

I would like to know wich is the source of the samples... did you record them or are them from some free source like Philarmonia site?

Thanks!
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I know that complete dry samples sound strange and unnatural. But I use an ambience/reverb bus anyway for the rest of my instruments in a song to glue everything together. I think it's makes more sense using the same ambience for every instrument (instead of a different, prerecorded one). That's why I personally always prefer dry samples.
I'll consider releasing dry versions as well, though I'll stick to wet ones for the time being. I know what you mean though, but my goal is to make the ambience so subtle that you can easily add a larger reverb on top of it without everything turning into a mush. It's just supposed to smooth out some of the differences in timbre that come from using many samples from different sources and of varying quailty. And yes, I overdid it on the strings samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I would like to know wich is the source of the samples... did you record them or are them from some free source like Philarmonia site?
Wow, I can't give you a complete list, it's really a ton of stuff. But yeah there's Philharmonia and MIS samples in there, plus a lot of soundfonts from the usual places (Hammersound, Homemusician, soundfonts.it etc). To tell you the truth I don't remember exactly where everyhting comes from but don't worry, it's all free stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
marce

Thanks your answer Cerendir!
I uploaded for you some interesting samples i have in my hardisk. The "Erans sampling project" cello. It was free and allows re-distribution. You will find some sfz files that works with keyswitches. I made a pdf manual for it, you will found in a subfolder.
Can be usefull to your project. If not, feel free to discard them:

http://www.filefront.com/14330559/ER...LO_LOFBERG.rar

Best Regards
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Matthias King

I downloaded these and tried them out last night. Not bad. Somewhat off the subject, did anyone else have one of the cello samples corrupt in the archive file? I did, not sure if it's the archive or if I just need to redownload. Anyway, I wasn't able to get them to sound as good as you did in your example. But this thing has promise.

The "close" and "stage" versions sounds intriguing. Just a suggestion; I think if you're going to do a close and stage, whatever ambience you're applying, apply it very lightly to the close samples and with a shorter pre-delay, possibly no tail, at maybe a 10/90 ratio, see what works best. And with the stage versions, apply the same ambience, but with a longer predelay and definitely a reverb tail on the stage. And go with a heavy ratio, maybe 100% wet, or 90/10, etc...

The reason for this is, since they are the same samples in both the close and stage versions, you have to do everything you can to avoid phase issues and stuff like that when trying to blend a mix of close and stage once you go to use them.

I hope that makes sense. All in all, this is a really neat experiment. I'm keeping my eye on it, and I'm not sure what I could do to help, but I'll help if I can.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
cerendir

Quote:
Thanks your answer Cerendir!
I uploaded for you some interesting samples i have in my hardisk. The "Erans sampling project" cello. It was free and allows re-distribution. You will find some sfz files that works with keyswitches. I made a pdf manual for it, you will found in a subfolder.
Can be usefull to your project. If not, feel free to discard them:

http://www.filefront.com/14330559/ER...LO_LOFBERG.rar

Best Regards
Wow, thanks! I've heard of the ERANS cello but it doesn't seem to be available on the web anymore, so this is a most welcome upload. The detache and pizz samples are particularly useful, now I can get to work on a couple more articulations for the celli. You're my hero!

Do let me know if you have any more rare free samples lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias King View Post
The "close" and "stage" versions sounds intriguing. Just a suggestion; I think if you're going to do a close and stage, whatever ambience you're applying, apply it very lightly to the close samples and with a shorter pre-delay, possibly no tail, at maybe a 10/90 ratio, see what works best. And with the stage versions, apply the same ambience, but with a longer predelay and definitely a reverb tail on the stage. And go with a heavy ratio, maybe 100% wet, or 90/10, etc...

The reason for this is, since they are the same samples in both the close and stage versions, you have to do everything you can to avoid phase issues and stuff like that when trying to blend a mix of close and stage once you go to use them.
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines -- adding just a touch of ambience to the close samples (but still clearly audible, as you couldn't realistically mic a section without getting some room as well), and just add some more of the same preset to the stage samples. Thanks for the heads up on the phase issues though, I hadn't thought about that.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any suggestions for a good (free) reverb for this application? I've been using epicVerb so far as it gives you a lot of control over the small nuances of the room. Sounds OK I guess, I'm just wondering if there might be some better candidate.

Quote:
All in all, this is a really neat experiment. I'm keeping my eye on it, and I'm not sure what I could do to help, but I'll help if I can.
Tips and ideas are always welcome so you're already helping
Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
marce

Hi Cerendir.

Here you have the "Lofberg" Violin from the Erans Sampling project:

http://www.filefront.com/14338797/ER...LK_LOFBERG.rar

Add the Modwheel as a controller: you can try the opcode "gain_CCx" where x is the number of the controller you want that controll gain, in this case "1". In the Cello from Erans, i have mapped in in some of the sFZs, so you can open and give there a look.

Edit:
cerendir, this sfz examples can help you in your design:
http://www.realmusicmedia.net/sfz_basic_tests.zip

Last edited by marce; 08-21-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
Quasar

Downloading now, and will check it out. Thanks!
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
todd_r

Nice, will give it a try when I'm not at work, kudos!

Weren't the linux sampler people trying to create a free orchestra, anyone no where theres any info about, can't find anything now
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
cerendir

New version (original post has been updated as well).

Violins sustain, celli sustain, basses sustain. New in this release is detache and pizzicato violins. Not entirely happy with either of them yet, but consider it a preview. It is possible to build a passable detache section from crummy detache solo samples and a bunch of truncated legato samples... the problem is making it sound like it's all the same section playing. Not quite there yet (I have yet to incporporate the solo violin marce posted -- once again, big thanks!) but I'm getting closer.

Sustain, detache and pizz are also the only playing styles to be expected as far as strings go. It's hard enough finding a sufficient amount of different solo samples for those three, so tremolo, trills and other articulations that are impossible to fake will not be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Weren't the linux sampler people trying to create a free orchestra, anyone no where theres any info about, can't find anything now
Well the only project I've heard of in that regard is Open Orchestra, but judging from the available content it never got off the ground.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
Matthias King

Free reverb plugins are all over the place, and I quit using all of them when I got IK Multimedia's Classik Studio Reverb, but here are a few that might be alright.

Glaceverb
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...laceVerb.shtml

Ambience
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magnus/

Freeverb Too
http://www.sinusweb.de/freetoo.html

SIR (which is actually a convolution impulse loader rather than a reverb, but there are plenty of good reverb impulses out there.
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

And before you apply the ambiences, you might think about panning the sections to their typical hall location. Basses are typically pretty far right, like 50% right, then the violins are usually about 50% to the left, cellos are usually to the right, but not as far as the basses, usually 25-30%.

Also, if you can find them, try adding violas to the project. I don't know about anyone else, but I use them a lot in my compositions.

Violas are usually close to centered.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
cerendir

Oh, I have all those reverbs. I was mostly wondering whether a specific one might be better for this purpose. Setting up a good hall reverb I can manage but I don't trust my judgment when it comes to small spaces. Finding the right balance between live-sounding and claustrophobically boxy is very hard. On the latest version I used Reverberate LE with a drum room impulse, which is close to the way I want it to sound. OTOH I would rather use an algo reverb as it gives me more control.

As for orchestra seating I'm quite familiar with how it's traditionally done (otherwise I wouldn't dream of attempting something like this ) but I'm not convinced it's a good idea sampling with panning, so to speak. Centered stereo samples allow for more flexibility, at the price of some realism. But since no one is going to mistake these samples for the real thing anyway, I'm going to allow myself some leeway as far as realism goes. Also, making sure everything fits neatly together across the stereo image would be a nightmare, so I would rather not bother with that. This is not meant to be a bunch of set-and-forget samples. You will need to pan everything to their proper locations, you will need to add a send reverb, you will need to balance the levels of all sections. While it certainly would be possible to do it the "right" way, panning each instrument to a realistic spot and adding just the right amount of ambience to put it in the proper Z-axis position, it's just an insane amount of work for something that in the end will not be totally convincing anyway.

As much as I would like to put together a real poor man's orchestral library, I'm sticking to the KISS principle for the time being. I might change my mind, but right now I'm concerned with putting the sections together and making them sound reasonably good. I'll worry about nuances later.

Regarding violas, I like them a lot too. Lovely instruments with a sort of throaty, melancholy character. Unfortunately there is virtually *no* useable viola samples around in the free realm. Heck, I don't even know if I have enough samples to put together a 2nd violin section, and the violin is a lot more common and popular instrument. So don't get your hopes up. There's an old soundfont called matnistring or something similar which is supposed to be a violin section, but I've always thought it sounds more like violas. Maybe I could hack something up from that, but I would need at least three or more solo violas to flesh it out. So all tips are welcome as far as free samples go.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
cerendir

More stuff: trumpets and flutes. Both are ff velocity but don't worry, softer velocities are coming up. Trumpets are turning out pretty good IMO (try 'em with the Raiders March!), flutes maybe not so good. The crappy loops of the original samples are really showing through. Maybe I need to switch out some samples or or play around with the envelopes to make some samples more subtle during the sustain phase.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
the all new rob

Are you aware of these?
http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

I've only messed with the woodwinds, I have no idea about the string sounds, but they are free and well-recorded.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Matthias King

Quote:
More stuff: trumpets and flutes. Both are ff velocity but don't worry, softer velocities are coming up. Trumpets are turning out pretty good IMO (try 'em with the Raiders March!), flutes maybe not so good. The crappy loops of the original samples are really showing through. Maybe I need to switch out some samples or or play around with the envelopes to make some samples more subtle during the sustain phase.
That's cool about the hall positioning. I can understand where you're coming from. The only reason I mentioned it is because it would be better to have the ambience applied after it's in position than before, because if you do it afterwards, then when/if you pan it, you're panning the ambience as well. But you're right that it's more flexible if you forgo the hall positioning and leave that to the user.

As for the violas, I know what you mean about not having a lot to choose from. If you have the soundfonts Squidfont, SJ Orchestral, or the Bellatrix Orchestra, they all use the same source for string samples. It's from the old, but incredible Miroslav Vitous orchestral string library, which is what became Miroslav Philharmonik when IK Multimedia aquired rights to it. They've been floating around the net for many years, so you could check them out. The violas, and all the strings for that matter, are very nice, and could provide another source for you. Before I got what I have now, I use them a lot. I still use Miroslav Philharmonik here and there.

http://moose.linux-coders.org/Soundfonts/Orchestral/

As for trumpets, have you seen these? Free, legit, and quite nice sounding.

http://www.westgatestudios.com/free_stuff.htm

They're in Giga, which you can open in Kontakt. I think NI is still offering a free version of their Kontakt player.

http://www.native-instruments.com/?g...ayer/?page=777

For woodwinds, I seem to remember this one being very not bad

http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/s...lute.sfArk;388

Let me know if I should find anything else. It's been so long since I used soundfonts, I've forgotten a lot of them that were my "go to" sounds.

Last edited by Matthias King; 08-21-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #24
marce

Some more samples for your project:

http://www.filefront.com/14358131/MS...20KNUTSSON.rar

Trombone ensemble from Erans. No sfz files yet (sorry) you need convert the reason files. I have not yet done it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #25
cerendir

Matthias King: Thanks for the tips. Nothing new though, unfortunately.

I haven't used the Squdifont samples in any way yet as I'm worried about the legality of doing so. As you say, they're based on the Miroslav library. Now, I doubt that they've been simply converted to soundfont format (if they had been, I would expect higher quality), most likely they've been sampled, mapped and looped. This is really a legal grey area though. AFAIK it is legal to sample a hardware rompler and offer the samples to others, at least for free. But does the same apply to a software sample library? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it. Not that I have ever heard of anyone getting into trouble over a soundfont, but I prefer to stay clear of things plucked from commercial libraries if I can.

As for the Westgate trumpet, I'm already using it in the trumpet section. Lovely instrument indeed.

marce: Thanks! You keep throwing these cool free samples at me. I was never even aware of more than the ERANS cello. Unfortunately I can't convert from Reason files, Translator Free seems to have crapped out on me (the timer seems to be stuck at 4hs 16mins). I'll try reinstalling it and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #26
marce

Quote:

marce: Thanks! You keep throwing these cool free samples at me. I was never even aware of more than the ERANS cello. Unfortunately I can't convert from Reason files, Translator Free seems to have crapped out on me (the timer seems to be stuck at 4hs 16mins). I'll try reinstalling it and see what happens.
You can try Extreme sample converter. It add noise to the converted wav files, but you just simple can replace them with the original ones.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #27
Matthias King

Aw, sorry there was nothing new in what I posted. I'm a little out of touch with all the freebies out there these days. That used to be my entire operation, and I had a nice collection of very usable free stuff, but I've put that all aside since I got my current libraries.

There is one thing I remember seeing though, some soundfonts called Maestro. There were some drums, and a few woodwinds, and possibly some other stuff, but I mainly just remember the woodwinds, and I remember them being VERY nice. Not just "free" nice, but nice if you had to pay. And I think they're 100% legit.

SF2MIDI.com is by far the best soundfont site around. There used to be thesoundsite and hammersound, hammersound is still around, but now SF2MIDI has everything they both had/have and more. Last I checked, the Maestro stuff is on there. You probably already know about SF2MIDI, but in case you didn't, check it out. You have to register, but it's free and they don't spam you.

http://www.sf2midi.com/

**EDIT**
I went through some DVD's I burned and found my soundfont collection. I picked out some of the stuff I remember being some of the best and most usable stuff. I can zip them up and send them to you. It's a few hundred meg. Let me know the best way to get them to you. I might put them on dropbox or something.

Last edited by Matthias King; 08-23-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: adding some info
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #28
cerendir

Quote:
You can try Extreme sample converter. It add noise to the converted wav files, but you just simple can replace them with the original ones.
The ESC demo doesn't handle reason files as far as I can tell. But anyway. I reinstalled Translator Free and that took care of the problem. I'm starting to think I should really invest in a full-fledged sample conversion program though, it would make my life easier. But as it seems there's no single one that handles *all* formats that could easily become quite costly :/

Quote:
Aw, sorry there was nothing new in what I posted. I'm a little out of touch with all the freebies out there these days. That used to be my entire operation, and I had a nice collection of very usable free stuff, but I've put that all aside since I got my current libraries.
Hey no problem. Truth be told, I would be surprised if you managed to suggest a resource I'm not already familiar with. I've relied quite heavily on free samples over the years so it's no big exaggeration saying that I probably have them all already But as evident from the Erans samples marce posted, you never know. There might be some gems that I've missed simply because they're not widely available anymore.

Quote:
There is one thing I remember seeing though, some soundfonts called Maestro. There were some drums, and a few woodwinds, and possibly some other stuff, but I mainly just remember the woodwinds, and I remember them being VERY nice. Not just "free" nice, but nice if you had to pay. And I think they're 100% legit.
I have the Maestro clarinet, but I don't think I've ever seen any more woodwinds from the same guy. Do give me a holler if you have them or know where they can be found.

Quote:
I went through some DVD's I burned and found my soundfont collection. I picked out some of the stuff I remember being some of the best and most usable stuff. I can zip them up and send them to you. It's a few hundred meg. Let me know the best way to get them to you. I might put them on dropbox or something.
Please send 'em my way, one can never have too much to choose from Just pack it and put it up on Filefront, Rapidshare or whatever service you prefer. Much appreciated.

Anyhow, this "experiment" is quickly turning into a full-fledged sampling project. New for today is violas. Not too shabby considering some constituent solo samples are fairly horrid.

On a side note I have to say that the hardest thing about this venture is not really finding the samples and choosing which ones to use -- it's making everyhting sound like it belongs together, like it's all the same orchestra. I've tried eq'ing all sections to the best of my abilities, trying to make sure they fit into the bigger picture, but the results are still hit and miss. All suggestions on how to homogenize everything would be very welcome. I wouldn't want to put a ton of work into this only to end up with a bunch of samples that sound like ass when you combine them.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
Jason Brian Merrill

woohoo the jedi theme! not bad
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
woohoo the jedi theme! not bad
Heh, thanks. That was just the first melody that popped into my head at the time.

Here's two new example clips of the strings in their present state, one dry and one wet. Still only one velocity layer, and I haven't bothered with Expression or other finicky details.

Edit: the reverb in the wet version is Reverberate LE with a Concertgebouw IR.

Last edited by cerendir; 08-24-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
Matthias King

I think subtle EQ and the right reverb will be the biggest things in getting everything to gel.

I'll zip or rar them up and upload the samples to Rapidshare and PM you the link. You may have some, most, or all of them, but I went through them yesterday and the ones I picked out are very usable, so if you don't have any of them, they should come in handy. I'm also putting a nice Steinway piano in there. It's probably the nicest free Steinway set I came across. I also have a nice Yamaha grand if you're interested.

I'm going to check out the violas in a few minutes. There are a couple of violas in the package I'm uploading too, so they may or may not factor into your violas set. I agree that the violas were the hardest to find a nice sample set for. It wasn't until I came across the Squidfont years ago that I had a real nice violas section to use. Then I found a couple more eventually.

I'll upload and PM you the link shortly.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #32
marce

Mathias, someone posted at KVRaudio the link to a torrent with most of the free soundfonts availabe from some years ago to the date, something like 40GB.
I looked a little the list, and appear a legit one, even i dont looked extensively it. It include the Maestro projects.

The kvraudio thread with the link is here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261254

I believe is the third post.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #33
Matthias King

The file is on Rapidshare now and the link should be in your PM inbox.

I found the Maestro clarinets on that DVD of soundfonts I had. I'm going to save that torrent file though, just in case. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #34
Matthias King

How is everything going? Was any of what I sent you new to you, and/or usable?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #35
cerendir

Quote:
How is everything going? Was any of what I sent you new to you, and/or usable?
I haven't had much time to check it out yet
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
carbon

Quote:
I haven't had much time to check it out yet
Perhaps after a couple of years
Good luck with your projects!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #37
andysummer

Default What happened to Erans sampling project

Hi guys,
What happened to Erans sampling project? I read that they were a promising set of good free samples. Were they ever published in one place with SFZ mappings that different guys were working on? (or as SF2?)
Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers, Andrew
andysummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #38
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysummer View Post
Hi guys,
What happened to Erans sampling project? I read that they were a promising set of good free samples. Were they ever published in one place with SFZ mappings that different guys were working on? (or as SF2?)
Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers, Andrew
I guess they couldn pay the bandwith. But they license allow you to share them. If someone have them in their hard disk, he can upload for you in someplace.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #39
cerendir

Well, well -- it's been more than a year. I've been working on this project on and off ever since this thread was started. There's been long periods when I'd given up, thinking it sounded like shit. Yet, I keep coming back to it over and over again.

The library is around 90% complete right now, and this is what it sounds like in action. Dimension LE, Sanford Reverb. Not a complete and polished composition mind you, just a short test run.

The closer I get to a release, the more worried I get about the legal implications of the project. I have done my darndest to only use samples from legit sources, but I still can't be 100% sure that I'm on the safe side. I mean, I have used a lot of really old soundfonts and I have no idea who created them. What's to say that something labeled as public domain wasn't actually sampled from a proprietary source?

Anyway, let me know what you think. Maybe this isn't even good enough to be relesed.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #40
Sheppola

I think they sound great.I can hear a couple of clicks in there though?
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote