Old 12-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default Custom cursors in REAPER

**Edit - Only 10 days after this post and Cockos delivers once again giving us 64 themable custom cursors!

Here is a complete PT 8 cursor set as .cur files. * 9 new PT cursors added Dec 26, 09.



Here is the list of current REAPER cursor names in PDF and ods format. Thanks to airon for creating this. For creating your own cursors, you can use "AniFX - The Free Cursor Editor".



Everything below this point is now depricated:

Here's a quick "how to" on getting custom cursors going in REAPER. You'll need "AniFX - The Free Cursor Editor" to do this. Here are some of my own custom cursors in action.

The cursors in my video example can be found here. They're .cur files. Hopefully, each zone in the future Mouse Zone Editor will be able to associate it's own .cur file along with it. (hint to the devs) Vote for it here.



Maybe White Tie and the Theme Team can do some of their magic for us in this area if we ask nicely. Start posting your custom cursors Ladies and Gents.

Hope that helps.

Shane

*Edit: Direct download link for the cursors are here.
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 12-26-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Updated info. 9 new PT cursors added.
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
cerberus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: memory
Posts: 634
Default

looks great shan. now i wonder how to get these into the mac version?
(i could find only 4 ".cur" files inside the reaper mac package...)

jeff dinces
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
NAS
Human being with feelings
 
NAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In church, burning it down
Posts: 1,345
Default

Very cool stuff that a few of us have been doing for a while and i think Shans video demonstrates the need for many more cursors (And the ability to have custom cursors for custom right click tool actions)

NAS
__________________
Not Gods or Saints but HUMAN be
NAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,049
Default

REAPER\Data\custom_cursors

Yes, I'm all in!

Menu customizing (needs more menus added), toolbar customizing (needs context sensitivity, different cursors for arming different actions), mouse zone+cursor customizing (completely missing!)

High priority on this one!
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
REAPER\Data\custom_cursors
+1
cool
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: City
Posts: 10,319
Default

Great work. Real nice. I like those cursors for their clarity. Easy to spot shapes.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
(Video)Using Latch Preview
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
jas
Human being with feelings
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: a zonzo
Posts: 473
Default

This is very a positive development, Shan. Thanks for all your efforts.
This in itself is a big new step for workflow:
http://www.screencast.com/users/REAP...5-cfe7f81ccebe

Last edited by jas; 12-09-2009 at 08:26 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
merdave
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 708
Default

jas,
+1 to the 1000th power concerning the cursoring in the video in your last post!
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Mr. Data
Human being with feelings
 
Mr. Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Location
Posts: 5,328
Default

Hey Shan,

thanks for sharing this!

Great work!




-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,049
Default

The only issue is that you have to load the cursors again when you install a new Reaper update, right?

I so hope this is soon going to be implemented, without hacking it into Reaper like this.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
SoulOne82
Human being with feelings
 
SoulOne82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Illville - Germany
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Here's a quick "how to" on getting custom cursors going in REAPER. You'll need "AniFX - The Free Cursor Editor" to do this. Here are some of my own custom cursors in action.

The cursors in my video example can be found here. They're .cur files. Hopefully, each zone in the future Mouse Zone Editor will be able to associate it's own .cur file along with it. (hint to the devs) Vote for it here.



Maybe White Tie and the Theme Team can do some of their magic for us in this area if we ask nicely. Start posting your custom cursors Ladies and Gents.

Hope that helps.

Shane
okay, now this is slick. thanks a lot! did not know about the ability to change the cursors yet. so i am happy as hell.

cheers!

edit: semms that the rar file containig your cursors is corrupted. can´t open it with winrar.
SoulOne82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
jas
Human being with feelings
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: a zonzo
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdave View Post
jas,
+1 to the 1000th power concerning the cursoring in the video in your last post!
The video link came from Shan on the Reaper OSX forum.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
gofer
-blänk-
 
gofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,149
Default

Didn't know you could do that. That's really nice and I like those PT icons (I ripped me a Logic Audio pencil in addition and think I'm going to keep the fades). Thanks for sharing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
REAPER\Data\custom_cursors
Wouldn't cursor icons fit even better in the themes folder, so themers can include custom cursors with their opus?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 23,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Wouldn't cursor icons fit even better in the themes folder, so themers can include custom cursors with their opus?
Similarly to toolbar_icons folder, which is superseded with any icons there are in the active theme folder, as DarkStar noticed, this folder would behave much in the same way.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
gofer
-blänk-
 
gofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,149
Default

Ah, I see. Sounds good to me .
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOne82 View Post
edit: semms that the rar file containig your cursors is corrupted. can´t open it with winrar.
I used 7-Zip to zip it. It seems to open on my end okay using 7-Zip and the standard Windows "extract" command from the context menu.

Direct download link for the cursors are here.

Let me know if you still have issues.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Didn't know you could do that. That's really nice and I like those PT icons (I ripped me a Logic Audio pencil in addition and think I'm going to keep the fades). Thanks for sharing.
No worries, I ripped the "Warp Tool" cursor from Logic 9 that you see me use in the demo video so, they're not entirely all PT cursors.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 12-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
REAPER\Data\custom_cursors

Yes, I'm all in!

Menu customizing (needs more menus added), toolbar customizing (needs context sensitivity, different cursors for arming different actions), mouse zone+cursor customizing (completely missing!)

High priority on this one!
+1 billion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
The only issue is that you have to load the cursors again when you install a new Reaper update, right?
Correct at this point in time.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
SoulOne82
Human being with feelings
 
SoulOne82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Illville - Germany
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I used 7-Zip to zip it. It seems to open on my end okay using 7-Zip and the standard Windows "extract" command from the context menu.

Direct download link for the cursors are here.

Let me know if you still have issues.

Shane
now it´s working. thanks again shan!
SoulOne82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #20
QuIcK
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 147
Default

For OSX users:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=95
QuIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
gofer
-blänk-
 
gofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,149
Default

I tweaked the original Reaper fade cursor icons for visibility. It's just a tiny change, but I thought the result is worth sharing.



I'll also put that Logic5 pencil cursor into the attached zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FadeCursors.zip (878 Bytes, 219 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #22
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I tweaked the original Reaper fade cursor icons for visibility. It's just a tiny change, but I thought the result is worth sharing.


I'll also put that Logic5 pencil cursor into the attached zip.
Good job! There's definitely a big difference with your enhanced fade-in cursor. I'll try and add a few more from the PT world. There's a couple "Elastic Audio" cursors I'll throw in.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #23
Mr. Data
Human being with feelings
 
Mr. Data's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Location
Posts: 5,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Didn't know you could do that. That's really nice and I like those PT icons (I ripped me a Logic Audio pencil in addition and think I'm going to keep the fades). Thanks for sharing.




Wouldn't cursor icons fit even better in the themes folder, so themers can include custom cursors with their opus?
With the appropriate tools (i.e. resource tuner...) you could even change all dialogs to other languages and so on and make buttons and checkboxes fit to the new texts 'cos they might take more room than the original English ones, but as EvilDragon stated, you'd have to do it with every new version besides the fact, that it's probably not legal to change internal parts of a program.




-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #24
cerberus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: memory
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuIcK View Post
i find only 4 cursor files in the referenced location. where are the rest?

jeff dinces
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #25
QuIcK
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 147
Default

theres a trick to it.
you have to preview each icon, see which one you want to replace it with, then rename the ProTools.cur to whatever it is.
for example PT Right Trim.cur becomes size_right.png

OSX will handle the file conversion.

Shan's video will help you out which one you want where!
QuIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuIcK View Post
theres a trick to it.
you have to preview each icon, see which one you want to replace it with, then rename the ProTools.cur to whatever it is.
for example PT Right Trim.cur becomes size_right.png

OSX will handle the file conversion.

Shan's video will help you out which one you want where!
If one of you Mac users could do a screencast with dialog on how to do this, I'll put the link in the first post. Thanks.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Well gents, Cockos delivers once again. We now have themeable cursors. 64 of them in fact:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48745

...and a "how to" from Justin himself:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...34&postcount=2

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 12-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #28
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,061
Default

upload more professional cursors please

Last edited by Reflected; 12-20-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #29
scottedog
Human being with feelings
 
scottedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: On an island in the Pacific.......in Canada.
Posts: 704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Well gents, Cockos delivers once again. We now have themeable cursors. 64 of them in fact:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=48745

...and a "how to" from Justin himself:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...34&postcount=2

Shane
I must be extra dense tonight.

I created a "Cursors" file in my Reaper directory & dragged your PT cursors into it. I've got the latest pre-release version but can't for the life of me get them to work in Reaper. Is there an option in preferences I'm missing?
__________________
Scott.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
Reflected
Human being with feelings
 
Reflected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,061
Default

Edit..

Last edited by Reflected; 12-20-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #31
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedog View Post
I must be extra dense tonight.

I created a "Cursors" file in my Reaper directory & dragged your PT cursors into it. I've got the latest pre-release version but can't for the life of me get them to work in Reaper. Is there an option in preferences I'm missing?
They have to be renamed so that REAPER can recognize them. Here are "some" of the PT cursors used in the Edit window that will work in REAPER. They're renamed for the new REAPER cursor format:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/256423/Cursors.zip

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #32
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Here is a complete PT 8 cursor set as .cur files.



These are .cur files only. They will have to be renamed to be used in REAPER. If any are missing from the PT world, let me know and I'll update it. I think I got them all though.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #33
scottedog
Human being with feelings
 
scottedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: On an island in the Pacific.......in Canada.
Posts: 704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
They have to be renamed so that REAPER can recognize them. Here are "some" of the PT cursors used in the Edit window that will work in REAPER. They're renamed for the new REAPER cursor format:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/256423/Cursors.zip

Shane
Got it. Thx.
__________________
Scott.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
onewayout
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Florida
Posts: 993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedog View Post
Got it. Thx.
OK I'm dense cause I just did this and nothing....? What am I missing?? I used the ones that were already named to save some time and check them out but....
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #35
gofer
-blänk-
 
gofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,149
Default

Airon made a list of the names Reaper uses with some description. Get it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...12&postcount=4
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #36
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: brighton, uk
Posts: 12,677
Default

I'm hoping the devs will allow the cursor folder to be placed within the theme folder so you can easily switch cursors with themes
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #37
WynD
Human being with feelings
 
WynD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 355
Default

I have a silly question so please bare with me.
There is a nice large list of cursors for reaper. I have downloaded and started checking out the Anifx cursor program which is pretty cool. When I load up the reaper.exe to replace with custom curosrs there are only 17 cursors that show up.
Where do I find all the rest of them to customize/replace?

I have tried out a few of the cursors in this thread and it really works good. I even colorized a few of them by adding flesh color to the hands and a few other things here and there.

On a side note/question.. just curious.... is there any way of using animated cursors? That could be really fun for the theme designers out there.
WynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #38
beatbybit
Human being with feelings
 
beatbybit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hungary
Posts: 3,129
Default



not a full list of Reaper's original cursors, i guess the rest come from the OS . im not sure if the names are properly put, correct me if somethings wrong
__________________
panda in the desert

Last edited by beatbybit; 12-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynD View Post
I have a silly question so please bare with me.
There is a nice large list of cursors for reaper. I have downloaded and started checking out the Anifx cursor program which is pretty cool. When I load up the reaper.exe to replace with custom curosrs there are only 17 cursors that show up.
Where do I find all the rest of them to customize/replace?

I have tried out a few of the cursors in this thread and it really works good. I even colorized a few of them by adding flesh color to the hands and a few other things here and there.

On a side note/question.. just curious.... is there any way of using animated cursors? That could be really fun for the theme designers out there.
Things have changed a bit. Cockos recently gave us the ability to customize the cursors. No need to hack the reaper.exe anymore. I updated the first post with the latest info. That should get you going.

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #40
Shan
Human being with feelings
 
Shan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Airon made a list of the names Reaper uses with some description. Get it here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...12&postcount=4
First post updated to include this and other info. Thanks!

Shane
__________________
"Music should be performed by the musician not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.