Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Musicpulse
Human being with feelings

Default Is there video import ability in Reaper X64?

Cannot find a thread that answers this. I have downloaded a bunch of codecs in the hope that this might work, but I don't even see a video file list under MEDIA IMPORT on 64bit Reaper version.

I score film and visual media for a living and want to see if their is no alternative to Sonar 8 that I currently use. I love the look and feel of reaper, but if Video is not supported on X64, then it really limits its use for film composers.

Our instrument-load is to big to function properly with 32bit version, that is why I have a 64bit platform with 8GB Ram, so I can successfully utilize as many resources as possible.

I sure hope that their is a solution. I must say I am so impressed with Reaper.

Cheers !!
Musicpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
dub3000

i'm not on x64 here, but - have you tried just dragging a video file into a reaper project from the desktop?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
MrMoto

You need Reaper x32 for importing videos. That's one of the reasons I still have an x32 version running besides REAPER x64.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

REAPER x64 supports videos, but not via QuickTime (as QuickTime doesn't run in x64 natively)..

If you install ffdshow/x64, you will find the variety of AVI/MPEG files supported by REAPER to increase, too.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
Evan

You need ffdshow x64 for reaper x64?

Also, can you have normal ffdshow and ffdshow x64 installed on the same system?

(I use normal ffdshow on 64bit OS)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
airon

Yes.

Only 64-bit programs will use the x64 ffdshow decoder/encoder.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Musicpulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
REAPER x64 supports videos, but not via QuickTime (as QuickTime doesn't run in x64 natively)..

If you install ffdshow/x64, you will find the variety of AVI/MPEG files supported by REAPER to increase, too.
Justin,

Thank you SO much for this info. I was so excited to discover reaper. I love the sleek look and I must say I am tired of whooping out $300 every time Sonar comes out with a new bug fix. My problem though is that I score movies and Sonar has been my tool for over 4 years. I know it in and out. I have though about just merging to Cubase, but I dont have any idea how it handles video. It should do a good job, as lots of composers uses Cubase.

Ultimately Mac with Logic or Digital Performer is the choice for Film Scoring, but I have spend over 15 grand in my PC based studio, so to go to Mac would be a complete redo.

That is why I like Reaper so much. Its sleek, to the point, clean, easy on the VSTi's, stable and if it does a good job of support video, then I will migrate in a second.

I did though read a thread that pointed out that Reaper really does not handle any video syncing well. No matter what video format or on what platform you are X32 or x64. That said, it Reaper guys improve this, they will have one heck of an alternative to Sonar, Cubase and the rest. And i will be their leading proponent in advertising this amazing software.

Last question: You gave the answer to my problem. Does that mean that you, yourself score video? If so, can you provide the file format that works best for you?

BEST !!!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Musicpulse

Default NO luck with Video on Reaper 64 / XP64

Quote:

Justin,

I followed your instruction and downloaded FFDSHOW x64, installed it, rebooted my system, and ran Reaper, when to INSERT MEDIA, but still no video files available. I tried the formats you listed, but it gives an error while trying to important them.

Do you have to run the FFDSHOW Video decoder after installation? Or is there a place inside Reaper you have to go and change the video important capability?

Thank you :-)
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Sheppola

Download and install this free Media Player and codec pack and you should be ok,

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Classic.htm

Say yes to using Ffshow if prompted.

HTH
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
sfb

Default No video playback in x64

Quote:

I installed ffdshow/x64, but still can't get AVI files to work in Reaper x64. They play back fine in the 32 bit version of Reaper. Has anyone gotten video to play back in x64?
Thanks!

- sfb
sfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Sari

I'm able to run wmv's in Reaper 64. Runs perfect here.