Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
flowheimer
Human being with feelings

Default Multi-Mic Tracks

I'm not a programmer but I've often wondered how, if I were writing my own DAW software, I would address the issue of multiple-mic recordings; a drum kit, for example.

I'm familiar with Reaper and Cubendo. In those worlds, in order to perform edits across several tracks, the media events on tracks have to be selected and grouped. To me this has always seemed a bit of a kludge.

I've always thought it'd be neat to be able to freely designate a number of selected tracks as a single instrument. I call this a "Multi-Mic Group" (MMG).

Creating an MMG should be as easy as selecting a number of tracks, right-clicking one of them and choosing "Create Multi-Mic Group". The grouped tracks would bear a distinct visual feature that identifies them as an MMG. Dissolving the MMG should be just as easy.

The primary distinction between MMGs and grouped events is that an MMG would be quickly collapsible/foldable (at the touch of a button) to a single lane. Picture 12 tracks of drums appearing and behaving as one, with takes lining up neatly under one another, each in its own lane*, just like mono tracks do. Imagine how easy that would be to comp (given a robust comping feature)! Naturally, an MMG would be quickly expandable to full height for more detailed editing.

An MMG can be momentarily disabled without being dissolved for the purpose of editing a single mic independently of the group (maybe via an action, "toggle disable for active MMG").

Collapsed/folded MMGs would be represented on screen by the waveform of one of the contained tracks, say the kick or snare in the case of a drum kit. The representing waveform of choice could be quickly selected with a shortcut key or context menu.

Food for thought?

fH

*I say "in its own lane" because I count myself amongst the number of Reaper users who struggle daily with Reaper's implementation of takes and lanes. I staunchly support the movement towards One Take Per Lane.

Last edited by flowheimer; 05-04-2010 at 05:07 AM.
flowheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
jamieson1974

I don't have much to add but that seems like a really great idea. It would make drum editing much easier for me.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
semiquaver

what about using multi-channel tracks/items - recording your drums on a single multi-channel track? you can rout the channels to seperate tracks to house fx and do automation...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
fuseburn

Well, check the Feature Request in my signature. The concept you're talking about is called "edit group" in different DAWs.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This is pretty much what me and BBB want and what we were calling an "amalgamation track". BBB has been showing the devs some cool mockups of it so hopefully we shall see it sooner or later.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
submarin

One of the few things I´m missing since leaving Sonar,
called clip group editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmIjquQc7c
submarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
flowheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
what about using multi-channel tracks/items - recording your drums on a single multi-channel track? you can rout the channels to seperate tracks to house fx and do automation...
Same idea, different approach. One of the key elements, here, is that all the mics can be collapsed and represented by a single waveform.

fH
Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Weve been thinking that if there could be a "ghost item mode" on any folder controlled with a button or something it could be cool

The ghost item would just be a representation of the waveform of the child tracks, and could be "edited" which would act like editing on the groups as groups work in an existing way
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
flowheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
Well, check the Feature Request in my signature. The concept you're talking about is called "edit group" in different DAWs.
Wow, okay, then!
Glad to see I'm not alone on this matter.

Awesome post. It describes all the editing functionality I had in mind. I still like my idea, though, of being able to collapse an edit group to a single waveform. Especially for drum or multiple-guitar-mic comping.

fH
Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
flowheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Weve been thinking that if there could be a "ghost item mode" on any folder controlled with a button or something it could be cool

The ghost item would just be a representation of the waveform of the child tracks, and could be "edited" which would act like editing on the groups as groups work in an existing way
Cubendo does that.
It's fine except that you have to create a new folder for every take. Still a bit of a kludge because there's no way to use the take/lane system.

fH
Old 11-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
daxliniere

In Samplitude, there is a function to automatically group together all items recorded at the same time.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
In Samplitude, there is a function to automatically group together all items recorded at the same time.
Adam Wathan has done similar SWS actions.
If you have SWS installed search for 'AW group'
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
daxliniere

Awesome. Cheers to you, fishless wonder!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote