Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
srgdrum
Human being with feelings

Default Crummy metal mix need help and opinions!

Here's the latest thing I've been working on. Anyone have any ideas how to make this sound more pro?
Song has 2 intros (Goofy I know). The 2nd "singing intro" wasn't my idea... Wondering what people will think of it. Song really starts around the 1:19 mark.

Please give a listen and let me know what you think. It's a little too crispy right now and there's a fair number of housekeeping things to be taken care of drumming wise.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144930/7-7%...%20Despair.mp3
srgdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
joaobgb

Hi, I'm listening to your song right now, and although I've been away from metal for the last 10 years, for what I remember I think you're following the right rules of mixing metal, especially the drums, which have a good attack.
Things I would try:
- less reverb on the drums at the beginning, I understand the objective but they seem a little drown, and I would try to clear up this part a bit
- personally I would like a little more punch in the low end to make it a little more jumpy
- you can use the Haas trick to fatten up the guitars a little more
- make the vocals a little more 'in your face'
- again personally I like to use effects now and then, not continuously to create an element of surprise, like the delays and reverb on the vocals in the beginning but more sparse (things like small stutters etc...);

Anyway, with the exception of the begining (the 2nd intro I think) which I would prefer more clear, transparent (like a lot of Tiamat soft passages), I think your mix is pretty good, and now that you have it on this way, maybe you could try a little more of creative mixing to make stand out, that's normally the way I do stuff.
Good work!

João
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
srgdrum

Hey thanks for listening! These are exactly the types of pointers I wanted to hear.
Good thought on the HAAS for the guitars. I thought about it for the guitars but didn't. I will give it a shot now that you've recommended it.
It's funny about that snare verb- some folks say it needs more, and now you say less. I think I'm going to try to add more pre-delay and eq'ing the verb tail to remove some of the highs. I think that's my main problem with it. Too BRIGHT. Too much low mids in those vocals as well. Honestly I used a boatload of fx on those singing vocals to try to cover up some autotune artifacts.
How would you go about adding more punch to the low end to make it more jumpy? I've heard that from a coupe of people about my mixes lately. Too much compression on the 2buss causing this? I've got about 4db gain reduction on average. I wish I could get to 8db of GR ala Randy Staub. Kinda going for a metal/rock radio mix.
Any ideas for a more creative mix? I would like it to have some character and not sound like the stuff that's flooding out of everyones spare bedroom these days!
Again thanks for your thoughts and your ears!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
kindafishy

I like the two part intro, except for the autotune stuff on the vocals. It really stands out. Some people like this... it's just not for me so don't take that to heart. Personally, I would get rid of the use of autotune altogether. If he hits bad notes too much, just leave it as another instrumental part, or do something random like... soak the vocals in huge amounts of reverb, delay it hard left and right, reverse it to make it evil and bury it in the mix. I don't know...

The heavy parts sound good. It's nicely written stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing an updated mix if/when you post it.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
srgdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I like the two part intro, except for the autotune stuff on the vocals. It really stands out. Some people like this... it's just not for me so don't take that to heart. Personally, I would get rid of the use of autotune altogether. If he hits bad notes too much, just leave it as another instrumental part, or do something random like... soak the vocals in huge amounts of reverb, delay it hard left and right, reverse it to make it evil and bury it in the mix. I don't know...

The heavy parts sound good. It's nicely written stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing an updated mix if/when you post it.
I wholeheartedly agree with you about the autotune...but that's what they wanted. Dude is GREAT at the gruff vocals. Singing? Not so much. I spent hours tracking the part. Got a rough mix and it was not good. Spent more hours retracking the part and tuning etc. I think at this point it is what it is! I wanted a guitar solo since there isn't on in the song but I was voted down!
Thanks for listening Fishy. You always give good advice! I appreciate your opinions!
I'll probably post an alt mix next week.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
zoso2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgdrum View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you about the autotune...but that's what they wanted. Dude is GREAT at the gruff vocals. Singing? Not so much. I spent hours tracking the part. Got a rough mix and it was not good. Spent more hours retracking the part and tuning etc. I think at this point it is what it is! I wanted a guitar solo since there isn't on in the song but I was voted down!
Thanks for listening Fishy. You always give good advice! I appreciate your opinions!
I'll probably post an alt mix next week.
this sounds pretty good dude. No guitar solo?! that's blasphemy!
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
srgdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
this sounds pretty good dude. No guitar solo?! that's blasphemy!
I know right?!

I'll be posting up an updated mix with more in time drums very soon.