Old 04-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
catscandal
Human being with feelings

Default Can Reaper (or any multi-track) do this?

I would like to be able to record in loop mode over a section of a few bars and have the multitrack automatically switch to recording on a new track for each loop - working sort of like a looper I suppose. The point being that after jamming away building up a loop, I want to be able to edit each of the tracks as independant audio tracks in the multitrack but while building it up, I want to hear them stack up (with the option to mute one or more tracks as I am going).

Does this make sense?

Is there anything that can do this?

Is this a great feature suggestion for Reaper?

cheers
catscandal
catscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Create a loop selection, click on the loop button to the right of the transport record button, record enable the track(s), click on the transport record button, and off you go. Right click on the resulting stacked item to select takes. Or you can access the individual files using normal techniques.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
catscandal

Default Can't test it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Create a loop selection, click on the loop button to the right of the transport record button, record enable the track(s), click on the transport record button, and off you go. Right click on the resulting stacked item to select takes. Or you can access the individual files using normal techniques.
Thanks for reply Art

I am at work at the moment, will test later. Point being this sounds like they will all be takes on one track - will I be able to hear them all at once 'cause this is what I want e.g. play some beats, then on next cycle play some bass over the beats, etc and hear it all together while jamming.

Even if it doesn't happen automatically, I would like an easy way to switch to another track, maybe with a single key press to tell Reaper 'ok, now stop recording on that track and start recording on the next track'.

Make sense? Like I said, I gather this is how loopers work.

cheers
catscandal
Old 04-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Ah, I get you. I don't think it does work the way you want, but you're getting sufficiently far from the classical music environment that I inhabit that I'll leave it to others to discuss!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
catscandal

Default I guess this is another way of putting it

I'd like to be able to use Reaper to do something like this:

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/default.asp?...ucts%2F09_2880

then my gear lust would go away and I wouldn't be thinking about the "fun" of transferring multiple loop files into reaper tracks for mixing/arranging etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
catscandal

Default like what it says here

To end a New Loop press either the PLAY, RECORD or NEW LOOP buttons.

Each of the three buttons will put the
2880 into a different mode upon completing the loop.

By pressing the PLAY button: the 2880 will automatically enter OVERDUB mode, the loop will cycle back to its
beginning and you will hear what you just recorded on Track 1. Both the RECORD and PLAY LEDs light up. When
pressing PLAY, the active track will jump to Track 2, so that you can immediately start recording onto Track 2.

This is what I want to do in Reaper...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Do you know that ?
http://www.zonemobius.com/
I don't know if it is really what you need, but it looks like it's aimed at replacing 8 echoplex in a single plugin... !

But i second you in claiming for the implementation of Loop recording modes in Reaper ! !

.. and Ableton Live can make things a bit like you want (but I think you will have to hit a button to specify the end of the loop.. After that, it can plays you r sample in live loop mode... and much more !)
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
catscandal

Thanks sink. Yeah, just discovering the world of soft loopers although I'd really love to have the results in my multitrack without having to save each track to a wav file and then import it into Reaper...Ambiloop is another one although it is only standalone.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
thectrain

Well after reading this it got me thinking about making a plugin. So its not very complicated but I think it sort of emulates a looper albeit very very crudely. I'll explain it anyway:

So as it is now it completely acts like a looper inside of reaper. You play something then it plays back while you play something new. And it records it all. But there are some problems that i'm trying to get sorted out:

1) You have to have input monitoring on.

2) So far it records it all as 1 track and you have to split it at the differnt sections. It works if you record it as different takes but I am unaware of a way to split up the takes after you are done recording.
QUESTION: How do I split up the takes?

3) So far I can do loops in seconds but not loops in bars(Shouldn't really be a problem).
4) It only works for 1 sample rate. This should also be easy to fix.

Well if this sounds interesting at all then post anything you would need and i'll see what I can do. I really havn't done much dsp or vst stuff before so i'm kinda lost on it. On the other hand i got it working in under an hour in its current state so I think I can improve it alot.
thectrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Interesting! And welcome aboard
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
ziggly

Default 1 man 1 mic and a laptop on stage

to thectrain
can your vst be controlled by a foot pedal? such as
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

ableton has this ability. i saw the type of "looping"
recording catscandal mentions done. at Namm this guy
"kid beyond" on a stage at the ableton booth perfomed
each layer of a song and then as that layer played back
looped, he performed the next part, all the while he
controled ableton with his feet using a foot pedal.

by the way here is the guy
http://www.musicindustrynetwork.com/...yond/press.php
this feature...assembling layers of a song so fast, i duuno you got to see it to believe it. if this feature could be combined with some way to cycle thru loops in a loop library...well thats getting a bit ahead of things to be sure

ps a little bit more info here
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=509
ziggly

Last edited by ziggly; 05-03-2006 at 01:15 PM.
ziggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #12
catscandal

Wow. That sounds great. I guess what I am looking for is really a cross between a looper and a multitrack - if it can be done in a plugin then woohoo!!!

I also saw kid beyond (in the ableton vid) and thought it was awesome. My thoughts on this all started from there, then I started this jam the other night where I was banging out mad loops on my sampler and thinking 'damn, how do I record this creativity and layer it up without having to use a mouse and be able to jump straight into some editing without having to save each loop, load each loop into Reaper and lose the flow and then not being able to jump right back into the same style of creativity'. I am far from affording to set myself up with a system like kid beyond and am looking for a cheap alternative and I really like Reaper so it would be great to combine looping with Reaper in a unique kind of way.

thectrain I gather you get the idea already pretty much from my posts - to be able to hit go and not have to stop and to be able to jump back into it at a later point and do more. My initial thoughts on some simple specs would be something like this:
- looping plugin for Reaper multitracker
- simple controls (maybe via keyboard shortcut) to define the loop point and to adjust start and end points of loop once defined
- two modes:
mode 1) each pass through the loop overdubs new material in that loop until a key is pressed to 'cut to next take'; or
mode 2) simple mode where each pass through the loop simply creates a new take
- takes can be muted with keyboard shortcuts (1-9, Ctrl+1-9, Alt+1-9 or something)
- stop puts each take on a new track in Reaper

Extended specs might include:
- some cool interaction between Reaper loop points and the loop points in the looper
- ability to multiply individual loops

Some simpler, more OO ideas might be commands like:
- set loop point for current take and make all loops use current take for length of playback
- set loop point for current take and use longest take for length of playback
- start new take while looping current take
- start new take and stop current take
- start new take and stop all previous takes
- multiply current take x2
- multiply all takes x2
- all as single keystroke or MIDI note commands

An ultimate spec for this might be to have something like Ambiloop (http://www.evenfall.com/ambiloop/) implemented as a plugin that had an option to automatically 'dump' each track to a Reaper track.

Much of this could be probably be achieved manually, and all of it could be enhanced, if Reaper allowed keyboard navigation between tracks and keyboard shortcuts for enabling record/monitor. I actually think that having to have monitor on is a good thing in this sense.

If foot pedal control were possible then I think something like this would definately have me out shopping for a pedal controller ASAP.

Bome midi translator (http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/) with a MIDI keyboard might be a cooler option for some than using a qwerty keyboard to control this sort of behaviour.

No way I could afford it but this seems a nice way of doing it:
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...s&tsr_id=20857

Last edited by catscandal; 05-03-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #13
catscandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
Do you know that ?
http://www.zonemobius.com/
I don't know if it is really what you need, but it looks like it's aimed at replacing 8 echoplex in a single plugin... !

But i second you in claiming for the implementation of Loop recording modes in Reaper ! !
I haven't been able to get my head around Mobius...

Last edited by catscandal; 05-03-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
chip mcdonald

Ok, I'll admit I've just discovered this program, yada yada yada...

but...

It looks like looping while recording forces you to use the Cubase paradigm of choosing takes from "stacks"?

I'm a guitar player that does "extreamly tricky technical bits". I want the capability to record in a cycle, and have the ability to have each take treated as a "normal" .wav file *immediately* afterwards.

The stacked thing would be fine, if I could choose an option that would automatically spit out each take into separate tracks, because what I want is to be able to edit (using envelopes) (THANK YOU for using the Cool Edit style vector editing on top of the track!!!) each one and then compile it...

NOT with a "scissors" tool. I want control over crossfading via the CEP style envelopes, AND I want to quickly be able to flit back and forth between each file/take, without having to right click>select take, etc...

SIMPLY,

each take rendered as a separate track.

I don't suppose Reaper does this.....? It sounded like it in the above description, but I can't seem to be able to disassociate each "take" from each other into separate tracks?
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

I'm thinking of adding something to expand takes out into their items, BUT, for now, try this:

if you hit T/shift+T it cycles through the takes of the selected item(s).

That should help, some..

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
thectrain

Ok well dont get your hopes up. This thing isn't magical in fact i'm pretty sure you can do it all in Reaper I just dont know how. Right now it is a hack. It uses what reaper has to simulate a looper. I will try to explain the process that it takes to get it working:

1) Put the vst on a track.
2) Select the sample rate(I hope to fix this but i dont know how to get the sample rate from the host).
3) Select the region in reaper you want to record in.
4) However long your recording region is in reaper select that in the vst. (Just a slider)
5) Hit the "toggle repeat" button.
6) Turn on input monitoring.
7) Record.
8) Because you can't as of yet seperate the takes, you have to insert the files.(Thanks for the reply Justin)

So as you can see basically all my plugin does is repeat what you did earlier. Everything else is just Reaper being a great program. A good side effect of that is that you can create a short piece in one track and have it loop all the way through playback/rendering.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
thectrain

Here are some clips i've made of using my plugin as is.
Recording took about a minute and a half.(10 loops at 10 seconds each loop). It was done with only my distortion into my amp and miced. I didn't touch the computer while doing any of the recording.

Note: I'm not sure if it is going to be worth doing much more work on this.(Although i havn't put much time into it). As it works almost flawlessly minus the abilty to choose a tempo and how many bars. It IS a complete hack but it works pretty well for a hack.

I copied and pasted the loop so you hear it twice although you can put the plugin into the master track and it will loop as long as you want.

The first one is the raw input hence the pedal clicks because the pedal is right under my mic. I used the takes and then added the wav files from the takes into reaper.(Approx 5 secs to do)

The second one is after the files have been added and mixed. Mixing took about 5 minutes.(Just added some auto wah and some reverb and panned some channels).

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~perzelm...loopertest.mp3

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~perzelm...oopertest2.mp3

Last edited by thectrain; 05-03-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
sinkmusic

That auto/recording/looper vst made to work inside reaper makes the software interest me again a bit more !
If it only could record tempo-sync with bar instead of time, it would be awesome !
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
sinkmusic

Default ou topic : non working vst

a new eq plugin made with synthmaker makes Reaper vanishing :
you can find it here, and i think it is done by a SynthMaker developer.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...839915#1839915
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
thectrain

I've been working on getting it to tempo sync. Unfortunatly aparently simple math is too much for me and it doesn't work yet. But I think i'm almost there at least for 4 beats per measure.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #21
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
I'm thinking of adding something to expand takes out into their items, BUT, for now, try this:

if you hit T/shift+T it cycles through the takes of the selected item(s).

That should help, some..
Ahg... no... the problem is that I want to be able to use volume envelope editing to make my comped track. It appears the tracks envelope affect all takes (which is what one would presume).

What is the thinking for having the takes end up in the "stacked" configuration? I presume this is dictated by the programming situation?

Another (not minor quibble):

a) how do I *permanently* select volume envelopes always being shown, whenever I start Reaper?

b) since it appears you have to select it per track (very annoying), I presume that's deliberate; does performance take a hit by enabling volume envelopes?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald
Ahg... no... the problem is that I want to be able to use volume envelope editing to make my comped track. It appears the tracks envelope affect all takes (which is what one would presume).

What is the thinking for having the takes end up in the "stacked" configuration? I presume this is dictated by the programming situation?
The take system functions as it does because it is for a purpose different than the one you want.. If I added an "explode takes (across tracks)" option (that would put each take on its own track) would that be helpful?

Quote:

Another (not minor quibble):

a) how do I *permanently* select volume envelopes always being shown, whenever I start Reaper?

b) since it appears you have to select it per track (very annoying), I presume that's deliberate; does performance take a hit by enabling volume envelopes?
The reason that they are disabled by default is less for performance reasons and more for clutter reasons-- a lot of people may not want to see them right away, and only enable them when they need them.

I suppose I could add options for enabling volume/pan envelopes by default. In the mean time, selecting the track(s) and hitting V will enable their volume envelopes (and P toggles pan envelopes).

And for future reference, I would most definitely consider this a "minor quibble".

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #23
fluffy

Quote:
If I added an "explode takes (across tracks)" option (that would put each take on its own track) would that be helpful?
I, for one, would LOVE that, Justin. I preder to comp across tracks, rather than stacking them.

Last edited by fluffy; 05-07-2006 at 06:44 AM.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
chip mcdonald

Default De-pancaking, envelope visibilty

Quote:
If I added an "explode takes (across tracks)" option (that would put each take on its own track) would that be helpful?
ABSOLUTELY.

It just struck me why you do it that way: you're really just recording one long file and playing the source back as a loop. That way you don't have to do all of the "backstage" setup stuff for every new take, causing potential glitches, too many pointers, memory bloat...

I'm presuming you could make a routine to chop said multi-take file up based on the length offset of the loop itself, then have the resulting files drop in at the loop origin?

I am turgid thinking about it. <g>

Quote:
The reason that they are disabled by default is less for performance reasons and more for clutter reasons-- a lot of people may not want to see them right away, and only enable them when they need them.
Hmm. The way I've become accustomed to working in CEP is to be able to go and grab the volume envelope on any track and do a quick "custom edit" on that track... so I like the convenience of not having to go the extra step of *turning on* the envelopes.

From a work-flow perspective, I can't see a faster way of quickly editing out what you don't want to hear immediately... I suppose some people record flawless takes, but the thing I love about Cool Edit is that I can quickly work up from demo>final because I can quickly edit/turndown the tails of takes for example (where an idea might have "run dry").... Know what I mean?

I can set up Cool Edit to record a track, edit it to clean it up, move on to another track, faster than on any other DAW. Hmmm...

MY BIG, OVERRIDING PHILOSOPHICAL DETATCHMENT
from essentially every other DAW is "how many extra steps must you take in the DAW to perform a function relative to how many you'd have to do in real life on a tape-based system?"

In other words, if I want to record a track on a little 4 track recorder, I only need to arm the track and go; Cubase you've got to

1) Click on the menu;
2) Select what kind of track you want;
3) THEN arm the track;
4) Click record.

Just two extra steps than "real life", but that's a world removed from the physical action of just smacking 2 buttons and going.

My issue with the loop record situation is that when I want to track a guitar part, I want to be able to zone into a certain frame of mind and *stay there*.

I don't want to have to stop and "create" a new track, arm it, press record... I want to just have it play over and over while I play, and THEN be able to *immediately* start the editing process.

I see you still have to "create" new tracks ala Cubase in Reaper, but I'm also presuming I can save a fake "default" project with about 24 tracks already "created" and ready to go, when I want to start a new project...?

Templates?

Quote:
I suppose I could add options for enabling volume/pan envelopes by default.
Yeah, that would be great!

In fact, in took "awhile" for me to determine Reaper uses envelopes (first thing I looked for, "can it work as fast as Cool Edit?").

Quote:
In the mean time, selecting the track(s) and hitting V will enable their volume envelopes (and P toggles pan envelopes).
Ok.

Is there a way to make user-defined keyboard shortcuts? Not that big of a deal, particularly if it means a performance hit - THE CRISP RESPONSE IS PARAMOUNT in my mind, but...

/ reserving quibbles while I go in the other room and really check it out now

// being the "Dave Thomas" of the DAW market is a great thing from a development standpoint, but it could also be a good marketing tool: putting a face on a type of product inherently known for being obfuscated and technically intimidating would tend to both personalize the product but also set it apart as being more friendly. Worked pretty good for Peter Norton...
Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
chip mcdonald

[QUOTE=fluffy]
Quote:
If I added an "explode takes (across tracks)" option (that would put each take on its own track) would that be helpful?QUOTE]

I, for one, would LOVE that, Justin. I preder to comp across tracks, rather than stacking them.
The people speak!

Please oh please oh please....
Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #26
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY.

Hmm. The way I've become accustomed to working in CEP is to be able to go and grab the volume envelope on any track and do a quick "custom edit" on that track... so I like the convenience of not having to go the extra step of *turning on* the envelopes.

From a work-flow perspective, I can't see a faster way of quickly editing out what you don't want to hear immediately... I suppose some people record flawless takes, but the thing I love about Cool Edit is that I can quickly work up from demo>final because I can quickly edit/turndown the tails of takes for example (where an idea might have "run dry").... Know what I mean?

I can set up Cool Edit to record a track, edit it to clean it up, move on to another track, faster than on any other DAW. Hmmm...
Hi Chip, I see you only have a few posts, but have you been hanging out a while? Good to see you on this forum anyhow

The reaper way is pretty similar to the vegas way, which is insanely fast at editing as well.

There is a way to pretty much do what you are used to in reaper. The events have volume trim handles on them, you can grab those and work. The fade in and fade out are immediately adjustable as well. Only thing is you wont directly be able to turn the event UP, though as has been sugfgested, just select all events across the track and drag down 6 db before doing anything
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #27
Art Evans
Mortal

To unstack a stack of takes into separate tracks,

Ensure that in "Options > Preferences > Media" that "Insert across tracks" is selected.

Loop record your stack of takes as normal.

Save the resulting files

Delete the stack

Select the files in media explorer (sort by date modified to help if necessary)

Drag into the area below the bottom track

New tracks will be created, each with one take from the stack on it.

To enable volume envelopes on all tracks:

Highlight all the track headers involved, type V. You can of course use the normal Windows conventions of using the shift or ctrl keys to assist in quickly selecting multiple tracks.

Last edited by Art Evans; 05-03-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #28
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Select the files in media explorer (sort by date modified to help if necessary)
Yeah, that's what I've just been doing for the past hour or so.

BUT, more steps than I'd like.

ANOTHER "minor" QUIBBLE:

Once I have my un-stacked tracks, and I've enabled envelope editing on them... and I've edited them as I like, I need to make a comp.

In Cool Edit, I would select the tracks and choose "mix down (selected) Mono"...

I'm assuming I'm going to try "rendering" them to a comped .wav...?
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #29
Art Evans
Mortal

Render = Mixdown, yes.

I'm an Audition user myself so if there are any other 'crossover' problems hopefully I can assist.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #30
malcolmj

Quote:
I'm assuming I'm going to try "rendering" them to a comped .wav...?
Or you could try "Consolidate".

File > Consolidate/Export Tracks.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #31
catscandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thectrain
Here are some clips i've made of using my plugin as is.
Recording took about a minute and a half.(10 loops at 10 seconds each loop). It was done with only my distortion into my amp and miced. I didn't touch the computer while doing any of the recording.

Note: I'm not sure if it is going to be worth doing much more work on this.(Although i havn't put much time into it). As it works almost flawlessly minus the abilty to choose a tempo and how many bars. It IS a complete hack but it works pretty well for a hack.

I copied and pasted the loop so you hear it twice although you can put the plugin into the master track and it will loop as long as you want.

The first one is the raw input hence the pedal clicks because the pedal is right under my mic. I used the takes and then added the wav files from the takes into reaper.(Approx 5 secs to do)

The second one is after the files have been added and mixed. Mixing took about 5 minutes.(Just added some auto wah and some reverb and panned some channels).

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~perzelm...loopertest.mp3

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~perzelm...oopertest2.mp3
thectrain those clips are cool. If Justin adds the selected option to 'explode' takes across tracks, the combination with your plugin could lead to a lot of experimental loop happiness - maybe the plugin could even automatically invoke this option on stop?

Justin are there any plans for being able to navigate between tracks and select highlighted track(s) for recording and/or monitoring with keyboard shortcuts?

The explode takes to new tracks option, with what I think thectrains plugin does is going to go a long way to making Reaper an effective combination of looper and multitrack...

cheers
catscandal

Last edited by catscandal; 05-04-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:09 AM   #32
catscandal

Default an alternate 'looper' request for reaper

how about these three simple options as record options (maybe on right clicking the track record-arm button):

~Takes~Record each take to a new track
~Takes~Don't mute previous takes on new take
~Takes~Auto mix new take with previous takes (in same track and timeframe)(shortcut key)

The first option is like pre-exploding your takes and is like a macro for 'disable record on current track + mute current track + create new track + enable record and monitor on new track' all happening in the split second of the loop point.

The second option is to enable looper-like behaviour in that previous takes keep playing as you record each new take and removes the 'mute current track' element from the macro described above. This lets you build up audio loops a bit like you might build up MIDI loops (which I am no longer doing as Reaper rocks way more for audio) with the ability to edit each element of the loop seperately after the fact.

The third option allows a single Reaper track to simulate a real looper by just blending the results.

Are these suitably simple requests? Would anyone else like to see these available in Reaper?

cheers
catscandal

Last edited by catscandal; 05-06-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #33
sinkmusic

Quote:
Would anyone else like to see these available in Reaper?
Yes ! I do !
Loop recording is really needed, as for audio & midi.

To go a little bit further with your "custom" recodring settings, it could be that way :

record
> audio
~Takes~Auto mix new take with previous takes (in same track and timeframe)(shortcut key)

> midi
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #34
catscandal

Excellent - yes doing same for MIDI tracks would be neat. As it is more likely to be an option on the record button for the track rather than the main record or loop buttons, there may not be a need to distinguish between audio and MIDI i.e. whichever is active for that track the options would apply to.

I realised after posting that the first and third options would be mutually exlusive so it would also be desirable behaviour that if the first option was ticked and the third option got toggled on (probably with shortcut key) then the first option would only get temporarily disabled, being enabled again when the third option was toggled off.

So how about it Justin?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #35
sinkmusic

Yo !
v0,95 is just out, and looks like it's midi editing/improvement time !
When loop recording will be there for midi, it will be party time ! !
yeee-eah !
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #36
catscandal

Default there are no new ideas

oh wow, a plugin that looks like it does just what I am after - only in DP on Mac!!!

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...former-26.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...ormernotes.htm

It has a 'Mute Previous Passes' button...

And a multitrack that looks like it has the capability that I am looking for - Memory Cycle in DP on Mac!!!

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...former-26.html

Last edited by catscandal; 05-06-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #37
catscandal

Has anyone got experience with any multitrack on the Windows platform that works similarly to Memory Cycle in DP or similarly to the general discriptions in this whole thread?

I am going down that 'obsessed with finding gear with particular feature' path (again) and I am now downloading and testing demo's of many multitracks as loop recording options for audio are not well described in information available on-line.

I'd appreciate feedback (ha) on anyones experiences with different loop recording modes for audio in multitracks.

cheers
catscandal
Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 AM   #38
malcolmj

I tested Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 in Reaper.

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...id=rig2loop_us

It has a "Loop Machine" feature that sounds very similar to the features you're looking for. Probably an expensive way to get that feature, but the bonus is that you'd end up with GR2, which is one HUGE amount of FUN.

malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #39
sinkmusic

.. or, for about 100 euros or less, get a behringer cheap midi controller or soundcard, it comes with Ableton Live lite, where you can play with all the features (just limited in the number of tracks).

... or (not tried), for free, try that new daw : Usine, which is a modular environment where you can build your own effects, build for live tweaking iprovisation. It looks amazing.
you will find it here : http://www.sensomusic.com/news/
Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #40
catscandal

thanks for suggestions guys.

GR2 is way out of my league - was referenced by me earlier in this thread.

I have downloaded Usine and played with it some, new version has loop-mode recording in the sampler module so that could be cool. Doesn't lead to multitrack editing after the fact which is what I am looking for. Basically I want to be able to capture the live looping style jam into multiple tracks in a multitrack environment. There are some looping vsti's that work with reaper such as angstrolooper but no neat way to record loops to different tracks. Ambiloop lets one record loops on series of 8 tracks and then each loop can be exported to wav and imported into Reaper for editing arranging and so on...but the fun sort of stops there as one cannot do a bit of arranging and then dive into some more live looping in similar record mode over the top with any kind of sync to Reaper (unless I am missing something)...

I am so keen on having a looping capability in a multitrack environment because of the editing flexibility it can give you with your loops. I might try a demo of Ableton Live and if that will do what I am after then I'll probably try and find the cheapest device I can that ships with Live Lite.

cheers
catscandal