How to midi map faders in Reaper's mixer

Sorry if it was answered before.
I couldn't find the answer :P

Cheers
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
entspeak
Human being with feelings

To midi map faders to your keyboard controller, you have to do so using Actions. Open the Action List and filter for "set volume" - you probably won't need to type the entire phrase in. You will see the list of Track: Set volume for track... (MIDI CC only). Select the track you want to control and under the Shortcuts for selected action: section, click Add... Then move the controller you wish to use and it will assign that action to that controller. Now when you move that controller, the fader moves. You can set one controller to adjust the mixer faders on any selected track, the last touched track or set multiple controllers to control multiple tracks.
entspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
milosh

cheers mate !!
milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
CapitalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by entspeak View Post
To midi map faders to your keyboard controller, you have to do so using Actions. Open the Action List and filter for "set volume" - you probably won't need to type the entire phrase in. You will see the list of Track: Set volume for track... (MIDI CC only). Select the track you want to control and under the Shortcuts for selected action: section, click Add... Then move the controller you wish to use and it will assign that action to that controller. Now when you move that controller, the fader moves. You can set one controller to adjust the mixer faders on any selected track, the last touched track or set multiple controllers to control multiple tracks.
I know this is an old thread, but this just rocked my world....had no idea you coudl do this....I have a little Akai LPD 8 and I easily mapped all my group track volumes to the 8 knobs.....I am in a new frontier!!!!!!
CapitalC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
huberkinky

I'm doing something wrong.

All is fine until I see Keyboard/MIDI/OSC input.

Than I can move a slider and nothing is happening. However on selected track I can see activity and I can put an instrument and will play as well. So what is going on!?

TIA

Maybe I don't understand the subject.

Are we talking about MIDI volume or setting via MIDI volume slider, so volume control of recorded track can be recorded in automation!

That's what I'm very interested.
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
phoneticsound

Did you enable the "midi & control messages" in your Prefs?
phoneticsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
Aph

"Did you enable the "midi & control messages" in your Prefs?"

Yeah, isn't that weird? I couldn't get it to work either and every single "tutorial" I read or saw on youtube failed to mention this crucial little step!
I finally found a Cockos wiki entry about "First, you need to make sure your controller is enabled as a control device."
Here's the link:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...use_MIDI_Learn
Aph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
DarkStar

... or the User Guide, section 1.15 (or 14.16 for a Control Surface)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:30 AM   #9
Cherios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aph View Post
"Did you enable the "midi & control messages" in your Prefs?"

Yeah, isn't that weird? I couldn't get it to work either and every single "tutorial" I read or saw on youtube failed to mention this crucial little step!
I finally found a Cockos wiki entry about "First, you need to make sure your controller is enabled as a control device."
Here's the link:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...use_MIDI_Learn
Did you try to use another midi controller? To see if it has the same problem? I'm just wondering about it because I have no problems doing this.

Cheers

http://getinstrumental.com/best-midi...d-controllers/
Cherios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
soundchaser59

Can I use my Yamaha KX88 to do this?

My KX88 has four sliders that can be assigned to any midi controller number, a foot pedal, pitch wheel, a mod wheel, and a breath controller.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the sliders on the KX88 to control the volume fader on a Reaper track. I am not referring to controlling midi volume #7 on an individual instrument. I'm talking about being able to control and automate the mix faders by recording a midi controller on the KX88 that is assigned to control the track fader. I was not able to figure it out just by looking in the Reaper book.

By the same method I was hoping to use the pitch wheel to control the track pan slider.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #11
soundchaser59

I got my KX88 mod wheel to control the track fader, BUT.....

It only works real time. If I record it and play it back it does nothing.

Last edited by soundchaser59; 02-23-2016 at 12:31 AM.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
artao

For the love of sanity, Cockos, PLEASE make assigning MIDI controller sliders and knobs to Reaper's faders and pan and mute and solo easier. Also send volumes.
Having to do this thru the Actions list is a real PITA.
Why can't we simply MIDI assign the track fader controls just like any other parameter?
Sometimes (well, often) I don't want to assign faders in a row, but rather only on selected tracks. This requires going back into the Actions list and sorting out exactly which tracks one wants to MIDI assign, and then UN-assigning any tracks you don't want MIDI controlled.
Pretty please?
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Acid

Default Fukiyaki Manga KERRRANG bizzle lolwut Anonymous

Hello there, the words in my post title are utter nonsense, which is also what Reaper's approach to ReWire and MIDI controller mapping is.

Take for example mapping a MIDI controller to Reaper. You should be able to press a button in the top right corner and everything that is controllable turns blue or red / whatever.

Then you click on something you want to control. It turns a slightly different shade of the highlight colour. Then you move the control on your MIDI controller device. Voila you have it mapped. Want to go deeper or just like things the hard way? Then use the existing Actions list method. But please give us the option to do it the way any other DAW would do it, as outlined above.

Seems Reaper (and tbh, ultimately every other DAW) doesn't want you to make live music hence ReWire and midi mapping is a bunch of arse. They want you to play guitar for live music, or make glitch techno for non-live. Why would you want to make anything else.
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
Acid

I configure my MIDI devices to be used as input and controllers, then get the usual Reaper denial of service:

"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened"

And it lists all the MIDI controllers l had just configured as input devices.

Seriously, this is stupid. And scrolling through a zillion items on Action menu is stupid, but nothing even works when l follow the instructions to MIDI assign an action to a control.

They should rename Reaper "Denial [or ReaFusal?] of Service".
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #15
Acid

Default Why do yo have a vendetta against me using a controller with your software?

And yes i've read the manual section 15.17 and it is utter rubbish.

This is so basic how can you mess this up Reaper? I want to plug in a controller. I want that controller to then control features on Reaper.

No, my controller isn't Behringer or Mackie, why do you even ask that in the Control Surface Settings menu. Ugh. Why are there a separate configuration screens for Control Surface Settings and MIDI controllers? And why does nothing work?

EDIT: OK at least i got to the bottom of the "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened" error message: i had the controllers also open in Ableton. Still though, there's no reason why Reaper shouldn't also recognise the same controllers even though they're in use elsewhere. Other DAWs allow this.

And still, the whole Actions menu thing is a shambles.

Last edited by Acid; 08-23-2016 at 09:37 PM.