Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Default Midi insert velocity dropdown box

Justin/Schawa, would it be possible to have a drop down menu in the midi editor, by the Grid/Notes/Scale options for Midi input velocity (as in when you draw in a note, what the velocity is).

Have it two tiered like the right click option to change a notes velocity.

It would be more efficient to get a particular velocity than clicking on the midi keyboard (anyway to prevent clicking on the keyboard to set a velocity?) and makes sense to have it by the other options at the bottom.

Just a thought. Cheers.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
mattfaulkner

Is there still no way to control what the input velocity is when drawing notes?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfaulkner View Post
Is there still no way to control what the input velocity is when drawing notes?
Humm, all you have to do is input a note and set the velocity to what you want and then click on it. From there on the notes you draw will have that velocity. At least in R4.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
xpander

I usually drag (edit) the velocity value right from the velocity bar on the note just drawn. After this the following notes will get the same value.

Or adjust the velocity on CC lane. Or right click above the note, and select Note velocity from the drop down list. After both of these ways, I have to click the adjusted note once more before drawing new ones, otherwise only the selected note gets the new edited value.´

edit: wups, didn't refresh my window, Tod was already there. So, yeah..
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Tod

Also you can use Alt-LeftDrag on the note and set the velocity.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
xpander

Indeed. That would also have the immediate effect, no further clicking needed, just draw away after that.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
mattfaulkner

Thanks for the replies but these are all inferior solutions to a settable insert envelope as you always have to go fix the velocity somehow afterwards, or always remember selecting a note with the right velocity, which is very annoying to do because deselecting is so commonplace.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
xpander

Ok, so you are saying that you want to have one set value so that no matter what other notes you happen to touch/edit in the meanwhile, you can still continue drawing with that preset value?

Considering that the current ways of velocity adjustment are handy when you want to change values while you go, wouldn't that mean an option, say, a box to tick; Keep preset velocity or similar? And what about the input for this preset? Would current ways of selecting the value be ok and the possible option would just lock to the last selected one? That would mean everytime you actually want to change the value, you'd have to untick that option first and after the change, lock it again.

There is currently a live display for some of the note properties in top corner of the MIDI editor. I wouldn't mind seeing the velocity included there also. But since the bottom row already displays other pre-set values, I'd think it would be quite natural to place the fixed velocity option down there, like Eyes suggested.

Not to confuse this subject more, but I can't help mentioning one more velocity input method suggested by Gofer. You would draw the note like usual and while still keeping the button down, pressing a modifier would allow you to drag the velocity value during the same swift movement.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

Thanks Xpander . While reading the thread I was also very tempted to plug that request here. I haven't yet made it an official tracker ticket, only ever mentioned the idea during pre-release discussions, I think.

The idea was that it should be possible to switch from mouse modifier "Insert note, drag to extend or change pitch" to "Edit note velocity" by changing the modifier key you hold. So you could draw a note and without letting the mouse button go you could go on and drag the velocity of that note.
It's not as easily done as it's said, because it involves a context switch (from Piano roll context to note context) and could lead to problems when people go ahead and customize - the two contexts would need to correlate nicely.

It wouldn't at all make the request for a dropdown field redundant though. It just would be a more comfortable way to draw in the several aspects of a note in one swoosh without letting go the mouse button and re-click the note with a different modifier combination. I'd still would like to see such a dropdown, if only to have a place where I see which velocity will be initially used should I insert a note.
A (quite fiddly) means of pre-choosing a velocity is clicking on the piano keys on the left of the editor. They are velocity sensitive and determine the velocity used for the next inserted note - but there is nowhere to see which value was actually selected using that method.

On a similar train of thought I'd like to see an indication of which MIDI channel will be used for note insertion.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
xpander

You're most welcome Gofer. Yes, it was those pre-release discussions from where I remembered your suggestion. True that, probably not that easy to implement though.

While I have had no real problems with current ways to select velocity, I surely feel the need for displaying the selected value. And likewise, the input channel too.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Ok, so you are saying that you want to have one set value so that no matter what other notes you happen to touch/edit in the meanwhile, you can still continue drawing with that preset value?

Considering that the current ways of velocity adjustment are handy when you want to change values while you go, wouldn't that mean an option, say, a box to tick; Keep preset velocity or similar? And what about the input for this preset? Would current ways of selecting the value be ok and the possible option would just lock to the last selected one? That would mean everytime you actually want to change the value, you'd have to untick that option first and after the change, lock it again.

There is currently a live display for some of the note properties in top corner of the MIDI editor. I wouldn't mind seeing the velocity included there also. But since the bottom row already displays other pre-set values, I'd think it would be quite natural to place the fixed velocity option down there, like Eyes suggested.

Not to confuse this subject more, but I can't help mentioning one more velocity input method suggested by Gofer. You would draw the note like usual and while still keeping the button down, pressing a modifier would allow you to drag the velocity value during the same swift movement.
Yeah that would be helpful. An option in the ME for "Changing note velocity changes input note velocity", I think Reaper has a similar option for note length.

I just find it disorientating at times not having an option to set values... clicking the keyboard can be annoying as I am used to clicking it to confirm ranges and keep changing the velocity by accident.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote