Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #1161
JosephHighdn
Human being with feelings

Got a question :

How to navigate with the keyboard in the phrase editor of Redux in Native Reaper ? I guess I have to configure something in reaper to make that possible. ATM Im only able to navigate with the mouse. Thanks !
Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #1162
Jack Winter

Spent a few hours now installing and testing LinVst and plugins. So far so very good. Have installed and tested most of t-racks, amplitube and the stillwell plugs. Got some crashes when scanning the ik plugs during program startup, but after manually scanning again it seemed to work. Have also crashed a few times loading amplitube but once loaded it seems to work fine. More testing needed as most time was spent installing plugins and scanning for them.

Did even try a recarmed track through amplitube(ampegsvx), with a t-racks compressor behind it. at 64/2 I seemed to be able to play with monitoring on without any xruns, though the dsp load was a tad high (maybe).

What is nice is that so far the projects I've saved in reaper/wine seem to be able to open in reaper/linux while loading the same plugins with the right parameters.

All in all very encouraging results!

Is the some way to embed the linvst window instead of it floating like it does? Maybe the context menu needs to be added to native reaper (or I didn't look in the right place).
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #1163
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
Woot! Got it working in TahrPup64...almost. Start jack, start Reaper. Once I move to jackctl to connect it has focus and Reaper drops from the list. Click on Reaper again it pops back into jackctl. Can Reaper be "hardwired" to jack somehow?
This might help: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...24#post1820324

In terms of patching through the connections: for me, I had to use the session management in qjackctl and then in Setup -> Options -> "Activate Patchbay persistence" set it to the related session xml file to make it remember connections when things start up. I've read others describing simpler processes, but that's what I had to do. I'm a little confused by the qjackctl interface, honestly, but if you hack around in there you should be able to figure it out.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #1164
Jack Winter

A heads up, there are shortcut improvements in the swell git repo.

For instance I couldn't open the action list by using ? as reaper would see shift-?. The tilde, {}, and many others were also not working properly. It would work if I added another shortcut, so the action list would get an additional shift-?.

Would be good if people with "exotic" keyboards would test and report any problems with the shortcuts.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #1165
4duhwinnn

@ codemasters: back in 2009-2011 there was a bog simple
fst command, that would use wine and jackd, to launch
.dll's like a standalone app, just the vst's gui,
no daw, but connections ready in qjackctl.
It was great for basic running the freeware synths,
ampsims, and effects of that era.

It's simplicity and effectiveness got lost over time,
becoming fsthost, but I think extended 64bit wine troubles
occurred, and developer priorities changed etc.
There is only a 32 bit version in old Lucid/Precise KX repo I found.

Perhaps there is still a nugget or two of code or logic there
that could be useful today?
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 03-19-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: mow info
Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #1166
David Else

I am trying to get my head around the real-time priority bug in Fedora, and it's driving me mad!

I am pretty sure I am running jackd with the correct @jackuser - rtprio 98 setting.

I launch Qjackctl from the terminal and the RT button is flashing, I assume this means real-time priority is all good.

I can't seem to find any other way to view the priority of Reaper, JACK or Qjackctl. I think this bug is stopping me using normal terminal tools:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1364332

(all explained in the first post)

If I type SU - username and ulimit -a then I get the correct @jackuser - rtprio 98 info. Otherwise it's wrong.

I am using 'top' in the terminal, and it says jackd has a PR of 20. If this is indeed false due to the bug, how can I confirm the PR of my processes without using the terminal? Bloody bugs!!

FANTASTIC work on LinVST, will try it as soon as time permits. If I can get Voxengo Elephant and Valhalla Vintage Verb working then I am DONE, that is all I really need to get things done how I want
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #1167
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
This might help: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...24#post1820324

In terms of patching through the connections: for me, I had to use the session management in qjackctl and then in Setup -> Options -> "Activate Patchbay persistence" set it to the related session xml file to make it remember connections when things start up. I've read others describing simpler processes, but that's what I had to do. I'm a little confused by the qjackctl interface, honestly, but if you hack around in there you should be able to figure it out.
Aha I see. Open jackctrl patchbay. Hit Add in Left Pane, Select "system" in client Dropdown and repeat for other capture. In the same pane Add another, this time select "REAPER" from Dropdown. Repeat in the Right Pane then drag from REAPER to system and from system to REAPER and Save. Activate top right!! And it works here! Grrreat!

https://i.imgur.com/8bTmO0j.png

https://i.imgur.com/mLH7YAm.png

Last edited by FKAB; 03-19-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: images too small
Old 03-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #1168
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
I am trying to get my head around the real-time priority bug in Fedora, and it's driving me mad!
My condolences, that sounds very annoying. Wish I knew how to help, but I use archlinux/kde.

Quote:
I am using 'top' in the terminal, and it says jackd has a PR of 20. If this is indeed false due to the bug, how can I confirm the PR of my processes without using the terminal? Bloody bugs!!
If you want to see the priorities used by the reaper5 process, start top with: top -p `pidof reaper5`

Once top is running you can hit H to show the individual threads, note that realtime threads will get a negative PR number in top.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #1169
Drumfix

Quote:
top -H
Old 03-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #1170
4duhwinnn

Priority can be set in the text file /etc/security/limits.conf

Mine concludes with these lines:

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
@audio - nice -10

This allows a max priority in qjackctl of 89 (no typo, 89 is that max)

limits.conf is in a nearby folder and/or name, in some distros.

Over the years, I've had a few Fedora setups, and I have
always had to disable selinux for audio production
to be hassle free, might be worth testing briefly.

htop differs slightly from top, in that it updates
system resources live.

You could also try a session where all your audio apps
are launched in terminals by the root user. Running winecfg
as root should make a .wine folder in your root partition,
so put some vsts there, if that is what you'll be testing,
noting the free diskspace in the root partition as needed.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 03-19-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: claritea
Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #1171
David Else

Thanks Jack and Drumfix and 4duhwinnn, it's not working, but this is a Fedora issue. Let us just forget about it. I don't want to side track this thread any more.

I am 99% sure jackd is running in realtime and everything is OK! I am just trying to understand this stuff.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #1172
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately there are different things here that are confusingly named.. I think top is showing a niceness priority (ranging from -20 to +19), which is not the same as the realtime scheduling priority which jack is using (which ranges from 1..99)...
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #1173
clepsydrae

David -- I believe htop can show the kernel priority:

Quote:
PRIORITY (PRI)
The kernel's internal priority for the process, usually just its nice value plus twenty. Different for real-time processes.
The man page for regular top says this, in case it's useful:

Quote:
20. PR -- Priority
The scheduling priority of the task. If you see `rt' in this field, it means the task is running under real time scheduling priority.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #1174
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Unfortunately there are different things here that are confusingly named.. I think top is showing a niceness priority (ranging from -20 to +19), which is not the same as the realtime scheduling priority which jack is using (which ranges from 1..99)...
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration

scroll down about 3/5 for some limits.conf and kernel info

If you know of Gomer Pyle, layer some of that ambience on this...

THANKYOU! x 3!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #1175
nosucherror

Default Send all keyboard input to plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephHighdn View Post
Got a question :

How to navigate with the keyboard in the phrase editor of Redux in Native Reaper ? I guess I have to configure something in reaper to make that possible. ATM Im only able to navigate with the mouse. Thanks !
You're right, sorry I didn't notice this before I recommended it to you!
'Send all keyboard input to plug-in' isn't happening, I'm trying to think of another plug-in that uses F keys as shortcuts to test it but I can't think of any!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #1176
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosucherror View Post
@osxmidi
Hi, I've just been trying out the latest LinVst on GitHub. Seems a bit better, or maybe I'm just getting used to some of its idiosyncrasies!

I have been using MPowerSynth (again from Melda) and comparing it to U-he Hive with similar settings (4 voice square wave) and CPU wise there's not much difference. As before, when opening the LinVst GUI I get a ~%10 CPU jump which stays that way 'til I close the GUI.

I've also got Xruns when I record MIDI input for the synth but not when I play back the recorded MIDI. I'm using a2jmidid, I don't get this with native VSTs.
I should have mentioned before, I'm using Wine 1.8.5.

Overall an improvement, nice one.
I don't know about Wine 1.8.5.

I tried to get Kontakt 5.6 running with Wine 1.6 and no dice but with Wine 2.1 everything was ok.

I've only been testing with Wine 2.1 because Wine 1.6 and Wine 1.8 couldn't handle some of the plugins I was testing.

The issues you mention seem maybe like Wine version problems with the Wine version not handling the Window correctly.

When a new version of Kontakt comes out (or something similar), then there is no guarantee it will run ok under Wine and the Wine devs usually catch up with it (as they did with Kontakt 5.6).

Kontakt 5.6 works ok with Wine 2.1 but might not work with previous versions and it doesn't work with Wine 1.6, and other Windows plugins might have similar problems.

Plus, LinVst is still beta, so there could be problems due to that as well.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #1177
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Spent a few hours now installing and testing LinVst and plugins. So far so very good. Have installed and tested most of t-racks, amplitube and the stillwell plugs. Got some crashes when scanning the ik plugs during program startup, but after manually scanning again it seemed to work. Have also crashed a few times loading amplitube but once loaded it seems to work fine. More testing needed as most time was spent installing plugins and scanning for them.

Did even try a recarmed track through amplitube(ampegsvx), with a t-racks compressor behind it. at 64/2 I seemed to be able to play with monitoring on without any xruns, though the dsp load was a tad high (maybe).

What is nice is that so far the projects I've saved in reaper/wine seem to be able to open in reaper/linux while loading the same plugins with the right parameters.

All in all very encouraging results!

Is the some way to embed the linvst window instead of it floating like it does? Maybe the context menu needs to be added to native reaper (or I didn't look in the right place).
Thanks Jack for testing it out.

I don't know about embedding, I'll look into it.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #1178
osxmidi

Quote:
@osxmidi
I've just been running Melda MXXX with your LinVst wrapper in Native REAPER and it's pretty damn good. Audio is fine and Jack is having no problems. CPU spikes when opening the GUI and sometimes REAPER hangs for up to 30secs but doesn't interrupt audio. Closing the GUI from the mixer panel sometimes sends it below the window rather than closing it but overall it's very usable.

Thanks for your efforts!
I will keep messing about with it...
I downloaded Melda XXX and tried it out and I ran into the same problems as you did with large pauses/hangups.

Then I turned off a few things in the settings

I disabled GPU acceleration

I set the Frames per second to 60

I disabled high DPI support and colorization and gradients

I then tried the Dazed Delay and it all seemed ok.

I don't know which setting made the difference but maybe it was GPU acceleration (I'm pretty sure it was GPU acceleration because I've reenabled the other options and it still runs ok) .

Kontakt runs better with it's multi cpu support turned off so turning off GPU acceleration in Melda XXX might do similar things.

It's basically due to how Wine runs the dll vst code.

I havn't used a2jmidid http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-...midi-on-linux/

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-19-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #1179
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I downloaded Melda XXX and tried it out and I ran into the same problems as you did with large pauses/hangups.

Then I turned off a few things in the settings

I disabled GPU acceleration

I set the Frames per second to 60

I disabled high DPI support and colorization and gradients

I then tried the Dazed Delay and it all seemed ok.

I don't know which setting made the difference but maybe it was GPU acceleration (I'm pretty sure it was GPU acceleration because I've reenabled the other options and it still runs ok) .

Kontakt runs better with it's multi cpu support turned off so turning off GPU acceleration in Melda XXX might do similar things.

It's basically due to how Wine runs the dll vst code.

I havn't used a2jmidid http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-...midi-on-linux/
Sorry, a bit off topic. Only Melda uses GPU acceleration, not Kontakt, right? Does GPU acceleration actually help with audio stuff? Or is it just for their GUIs? GPUs are still not useful for audio work, yes?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #1180
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Sorry, a bit off topic. Only Melda uses GPU acceleration, not Kontakt, right? Does GPU acceleration actually help with audio stuff? Or is it just for their GUIs? GPUs are still not useful for audio work, yes?
Seems like the GPU acceleration was confusing Wine.

The Kontakt multi cpu option is different to GPU acceleration but the Kontakt multi cpu option is doing something to Wine that makes Wine run the Kontakt vst Windows code in a less than optimal way (at least on some systems).

The game players know a fair bit about these types of problems that occur with some Windows games run under Wine.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-20-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #1181
JosephHighdn

Quote:
You're right, sorry I didn't notice this before I recommended it to you!
'Send all keyboard input to plug-in' isn't happening, I'm trying to think of another plug-in that uses F keys as shortcuts to test it but I can't think of any!
Yeah. Seems like atm I use Renoise and Reaper seperated

To be honest, I did not get warm with Redux, yet anyways. Don't see an advantage for Renoise users. (on Linux)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #1182
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
But supposedly a Futexes can also (manually) be allocated in shared memory.
-> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/futex.2.html :

"The futex() system call provides a method for waiting until a certain
condition becomes true. It is typically used as a blocking construct
in the context of shared-memory synchronization. When using futexes,
the majority of the synchronization operations are performed in user
space. A user-space program employs the futex() system call only
when it is likely that the program has to block for a longer time
until the condition becomes true. Other futex() operations can be
used to wake any processes or threads waiting for a particular
condition."
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #1183
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
-> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/futex.2.html :

"The futex() system call provides a method for waiting until a certain
condition becomes true. It is typically used as a blocking construct
in the context of shared-memory synchronization. When using futexes,
the majority of the synchronization operations are performed in user
space. A user-space program employs the futex() system call only
when it is likely that the program has to block for a longer time
until the condition becomes true. Other futex() operations can be
used to wake any processes or threads waiting for a particular
condition."
Seems like Airwave uses futexes from what I can make out.

Airwave seems to be based on Abique which uses sockets instead.

LinVst uses named pipes.

Just different ways to do IPC with some maybe being more convenient and efficient than others depending on certain design things.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #1184
Nixon

Is it hard to get paste working for the reascript IDE ? E.g. pasting does not work when I copy some script code from firefox.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #1185
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Is it hard to get paste working for the reascript IDE ? E.g. pasting does not work when I copy some script code from firefox.
Hmm yeah linux clipboard support is not yet implemented, as far as I remember...
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #1186
mschnell

Quote:
Just different ways to do IPC with some maybe being more convenient and efficient than others depending on certain design things.
Regarding IPC (based on Semaphores), I suppose the main purposes to be acknowledged are short blockings (aka "mutual exclusion") vs signalling.

Regarding short blockings: this is exactly what Futex (as an improvement over the OS Mutex) had been invented for, as it will avoid the by far greatest part of system calls and speed up things considerably. Futex is only doable if the processes share a range of memory.

Regarding signalling: there are several sub-purposes: e.g. transferring just a signal or a short message or a bulk of data. But to wake up a potentially sleeping process, you need the OS, anyway. Linux provides multiple types of Semaphores, Signals, Messages, Pipes usable here.

Regarding data transfer, a Queue in user space (shared memory) using a semaphore or Signal to trigger the recipient, can be a lot faster than a Pipe, as the OS does not need to copy data from one processes memory to the other's (which involves working on the MMU hardware and might be slow even for very short data blocks). I suppose there are libraries that implement Queues. If possible, you should use a "blocking-free" variant, if not use Futex for blocking.

-Michael
Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #1187
danboid

Default Time to test!

I've not had much time for music recently - I moved house for the second time in two months on Sunday but last night I had another quick go with the latest native REAPER under Arch and I was happy to find it is in a state where I can really start testing it now.

The interface looks a lot more presentable than when I last tried it only a few weeks ago but the big thing for me was getting the Linux U-he plugins working complete with their GUIs. I can't remember who it was who tipped me off (in this thread) but the secret to success is to add them as VST plugins to an existing track rather than using 'Insert new instrument' to try and create the track with the VST already inserted, which stops the UI working.

I was impressed that REAPER correctly handles zooming of the U-he plugin UIs and restoring them at the right size already - most Linux DAWs have or had an issue with that.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #1188
David Else

For all the NI Kontakt/Wine users, seems someone is on the case on the Wine team! New Wine 2.4 development has fixes

https://www.winehq.org//announce/2.4

42209 Native Instruments Native Access 1.0.25 (R37) crashes on unimplemented function concrt140.dll.??1_ReentrantBlockingLock@details@Co ncurrency@@QAE@XZ

42239 Kontact 5.6 needs api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll._Wcsftime

Follow the thread and there is a lot of chat about Kontakt in wine:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42239
Old 03-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #1189
Veto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Digging into this it feels a lot like a GDK or window manager bug (which would also explain why it was probably fixed in later Xfce/GDK).
Just to have additional information for this bug here in this thread (if it comes up again):

I found this bug-report which describes similar behavior with GTK 3.10 (which I have installed):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1302546

Another thing I noticed eventually, I'm not getting any menu-hangs when setting the GDK2=1 flag.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #1190
osxmidi

Quote:
For all the NI Kontakt/Wine users, seems someone is on the case on the Wine team! New Wine 2.4 development has fixes

https://www.winehq.org//announce/2.4

42209 Native Instruments Native Access 1.0.25 (R37) crashes on unimplemented function concrt140.dll.??1_ReentrantBlockingLock@details@Co ncurrency@@QAE@XZ

42239 Kontact 5.6 needs api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll._Wcsftime

Follow the thread and there is a lot of chat about Kontakt in wine:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42239
Looks like with the new version of Wine(2.4) that fewer dll's need to be installed (maybe none) to get Kontakt 5.6 happening.

For Wine devel 2.1 I needed to install

msvcp140.dll
concrt140.dll
api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
ucrtbase.dll
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #1191
4duhwinnn

Tried Gmacs .deb package in Xenial-pup, a ubuntu based
Puppy Linux. I keep it around to keep some basic familiarity
with ubuntu. To install, I just double-clicked the debian package,
and said yes to the install popup.

I then went to double click the Reaper icon, and it was so fast,
it opened 2 Reapers...

It's not rare to open a folder in Puppy with a double click,
only to find you've also accessed something whose icon happened
to be beneath the pointer when the window was opening.

I loaded some U-he plugins, Dexed, and TAL noisemaker,
and recorded a few bars. In case someone is curious
about Dexed, a nice Yamaha DX7 on a stick, the path to use
DX compatible sysex 'cartridges', like BlackWinny's
master collection, is:

/home/you/.local/share/DigitalSuburban/Dexed/Cartridges

...just a hair off the normal beaten path. I unarchived
the (10 meg!) cartridge there. There's a goodly few sysex
in that painfully sorted 10 meg cartridge!

Oh, I could crash reaper with the
'clear cache and rescan option'

and quite a few Reaper popups stay behind the gui/plugin window
when they should be atop the stack
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 03-24-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: forgot it
Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #1192
Finnish

Wow, gonna try that Dexed!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #1193
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I unarchived
the (10 meg!) cartridge there. There's a goodly few sysex
in that painfully sorted 10 meg cartridge!
I once did a (Windows- ) program that allows for searching and reorganizing DEXED cartridge files. if somebody is interested, I'll dig for it.

-Michael
Old 03-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #1194
David Else

LinVST 0.99 working great on Fedora 25, wine-2.3 (Staging) and using Voxengo Elephant 4.5 64bit!

I used the new pre-built binaries (thanks!), then after installing Elephant to it's default location just copied the .so and .dll into the Linux .vst folder in /home.

This is brilliant! I played about with airwave a few months ago, it was a lot harder to setup and crashed a lot. I have only used Elephant a bit, but I can't make it crash yet. Rendered a file OK, all looks very well indeed
Old 03-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #1195
Garrick

Quote:
Looks like with the new version of Wine(2.4) that fewer dll's need to be installed (maybe none) to get Kontakt 5.6 happening.

For Wine devel 2.1 I needed to install

msvcp140.dll
concrt140.dll
api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
ucrtbase.dll
I'm on 2.4 staging 64bit and the only dll needed was msvcp140.dll on ubuntu 16.04.

My old routine for installing kontakt was uninstall vcrun2015 and then reinstall vcrun2015 using winetricks, then download msvcp140 and concrt140, move to sys32, then dll override both in winecfg

with 2.4 it's simply copy msvcp140.dll to sys32 and override that.
Also kontakt would crash reaper on the first run but now it behaves on first run.

I tried native access to activate stuff after reading the change log of wine 2.4 but no joy, which is no problem really as you can activate library's directly in kontakt player.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #1196
osxmidi

Quote:
LinVST 0.99 working great on Fedora 25, wine-2.3 (Staging) and using Voxengo Elephant 4.5 64bit!

I used the new pre-built binaries (thanks!), then after installing Elephant to it's default location just copied the .so and .dll into the Linux .vst folder in /home.

This is brilliant! I played about with airwave a few months ago, it was a lot harder to setup and crashed a lot. I have only used Elephant a bit, but I can't make it crash yet. Rendered a file OK, all looks very well indeed
Thanks for trying it out.

I've updated a few things.

I found out that it had some problems with Tracktion and I've fixed those issues in the latest update and I'm also implementing a few more host functions (audiomaster) and maybe Window embedding in a further update.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #1197
X-Raym

Will the linux REAPER support LV2 plugin ?

Reaper LV2 plug-in support - Cockos Confederated Forums
Old 03-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #1198
Jack Winter

I haven't tried all linux to wine vst bridges out there, but LinVst is my favourite so far.

I wrote a small shell script to help create symlinks for the .dll files to /usr/lib/vst/linvst.so, handy when you have installed a bunch of plugins. Using symlinks instead of renamed instances of linvst.so makes it much easier to update LinVst too. To use it change to the directory (in your wineprefix) where you have installed the vst plugins, and run the script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for file in *.dll
do
 ln -f -v -s /usr/lib/vst/linvst.so "${file%.dll}.so"
done
Hope it can be useful for someone, and please feel free to include it or a variation in LinVst, if it seems useful.

Hmm, it doesn't seem to work with symlinks as they all ended up pointing to the same plugin for some reason...

This seems to work however, but you'll have to run it everytime you have updated LinVst:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for file in *.dll
do
 cp /usr/lib/vst/linvst.so "${file%.dll}.so"
done

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-25-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: symlinks seem to end up all pointing to the same plugin
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #1199
Jack Winter

@osxmidi: I think I found an issue

I sometimes use sstillwell's eventhorizon on the master bus. By default it runs with 2048 samples PDC, but if you switch it to clipping mode instead, it ought to drop to 0 samples PDC. This change doesn't seem to propagate back to reaper when using linvst.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #1200
David Else

ValhallaVintageVerb 1.5 is now running in Fedora 25/Linux Reaper 5.40 with LinVST 0.99... YES!!!

The only confusing part was that when ValhallaVintageVerb opened it seemed to hang with a 'not responding' dialog box, but what was really happening was it had opened a dialog box to load the keyfile that was hidden away behind other windows. Once I found that and loaded the keyfile then all was well.

I have not had one crash yet in Linux Reaper, ever, Brilliant
Closed Thread